Best value for money mobo for C2D E4500 !

Status
Not open for further replies.

juggler

In the zone
Read some reviews last night. This is what i understood:

FOR INTEL:
Best value budget mobo - Asus M2AVM @ 3500/- or MSI K9AGM2
Best value budget proccy-C2D E4500 @ 4900/- or C2D 6320 @ 5800/-

What do you think?

M2avm & k9agm2 are motherboards for AMD and not intel

praka123

left this forum longback
reg,GNU/Linux compatibility:
AMD boards are supported.even AMD comes with drivers for ATi cards now a days AFAIK.go,buy AMD :) it is VFM!.

where are u from Alex?

j1n M@tt

Cyborg Agent
reg,GNU/Linux compatibility:
AMD boards are supported.even AMD comes with drivers for ATi cards now a days AFAIK.go,buy AMD :) it is VFM!.

where are u from Alex?

d abv mentioned ATi mobos like M2A-VM hav Linux compatibility issues........

OP
W

writealexthomas

Truth prevails
M2avm & k9agm2 are motherboards for AMD and not intel

Sorry buddy, I mixed up the proccys. Should have made a written note instead of mental note when reading the review.

Anyways, I am from Uttranchal.

As for the ATIs , I too have read somewhere that they have got compatibility issues with Linux:(

So, what does that leave for me...to run my Ubuntu/PCLinuxOS... with full beryl/compiz effects?

Feeling like tearing my hair off :((

praka123

left this forum longback
with Ubuntu alternate cd-amd64,these mobos are supported.u can use fglrx proprietary drivers for graphics support.
there are work arounds for ATi and AMD to support Compiz-Fusion(beryl is dead).
while installing:
Asus M2a-VM with Ubuntu 7.10 32bit

There are issues with this board:
First issue: When installing an error like this occurs 'cannot allocate resource region .....'
Solution: go into the BIOS and disable the HPET option. Use the 'Alternate Install CD 7.10'. Before installing pass the boot option 'acpi=off'. Make sure you floppy drive is either connected or disabled in the BIOS as the installation routine hangs looking for it.
After complete installation install the restricted ATI driver via restricted driver module. Resolution up to 1280x1024 is ok. Sound ok. Didn't had much time to test video. Will do soon.
*ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=592662&highlight=M2A-VM

MSI K9AGM2 is supported as per ubuntu forums.
ATI gfx cards means u need to edit /etc/X11/xorg.conf or generate xorg.conf using aticonfig and install restricted drivers(fglrx).
*www.ubuntuguide.org -explains ATI thing!

full support(optimized) will be there within months.

j1n M@tt

Cyborg Agent
@praka123

thanx for the info......... :)

hw abt SuSE and Fedore Core?? (I like to work with these....plz help *gigasmilies.googlepages.com/106.gif)

praka123

left this forum longback
^kernel options(boot options) may be the same for all these distros.try the luck!also,if u got installed,better support will be there with newest kernel(2.6.24).sound,gfx drivers are a lil late for new chipsets :( although the scenario is changing.

Choto Cheeta

Rebooting
By the way, For Intel Core2 Platform there is one good value for money board available... which is, XFX 630i nvidia 7150

j1n M@tt

Cyborg Agent
^^ yeah, it really hav everything.

• HDMI / DVI / HDCP
  • 8 Channel HD Audio with SPDIF
  • 1 eSATA
  • 10 USB
  • Rest and power Switch(gud 4 overclockers)
  • LED display for troubleshooting

Last edited:

dOm1naTOr

Wise Old Owl
But the onboard gfx gr8ly depends on the memory bandwidth, nd in case of 630i, the single channel mem wud slow down the GPU with below par bandwidth for shared memory.

Choto Cheeta

Rebooting
Arvind said:
nd in case of 630i, the single channel mem wud slow down the GPU with below par bandwidth for shared memory.

I dont see much of a difference between M2NPV VM / M2A-VM / or this 7150 630i.... AMD platform running 2 GB under Dual Channel and this one is at 2 GB single stick :p

I am really not a gamer... so just tested FEAR / NFS MW and both the AMD or Intel Platform are running quite same :|

dOm1naTOr

Wise Old Owl
@j1n M@tt
Can u buy 630i with a C2D? i rellay dun think i can coz ive already enuf of systems. And we can do a detailed comparison b/w X1250 nd 7150:D
And now i wanna invest on a 20/22" LCD soon nd another gcard.

@ choto
X1250's performance has become much better with 7.12 igp catalyst nd 3DM 05 score went up from 896 to 1285 @ 1024*768. ATI's getting improved in driver releases nd now game performance too increased.
And with mem overclocking, the igp is showing much better results @ 800Mhz dual channel from stock 667 dual.

Choto Cheeta

Rebooting
@Arvind

name few games which u think would performe better with 6150 and 1250 which this nvidia 7150 may fail to run ??

As the games I have are giving same result with all those 3 IGP...

yeah x1250 is upto date :)

dOm1naTOr

Wise Old Owl
hi, i pointed out coz uve many M2A VM in ur cafe nd u can get most outa it with 7.12. Also the screen flashing during bootup also vanished.
And do bench with 7.12 on ur upcoming reviews of M2A VM(budget 25k system).:)
And surelly 7150 has more game support cox of SM3.0:p

j1n M@tt

Cyborg Agent
@domi

ya, I sure will do.........XFX 630i is ma next destiny ;)

BTW wat the heck r u doing??:mad: there ws CS match on macfast clan's network over hamachi.........tried to reach u, but u r denying ma requests and PMs.....*gigasmilies.googlepages.com/110.gif

Choto Cheeta

Rebooting
arvind said:
hi, i pointed out coz uve many M2A VM in ur cafe nd u can get most outa it with 7.12. Also the screen flashing during bootup also vanished.

And surelly 7150 has more game support cox of SM3.0

Thats where I lag :cry: i really dont get much time for game play so dont get all new games or such... :p as for 3.0, I dont see much real world differnce between a SM 2.0 and SM 3.0 IGP, i mean if ATi x1250 strugles to run some thing, for ex Sipder MAN 3 same with Nvidia 6150 :lol:

thats why I requested some info for the on issue :lol:

dOm1naTOr said:
And do bench with 7.12 on ur upcoming reviews of M2A VM(budget 25k system).

Actually after this post, I am getting too many email asking for the performance factor for the mentioned system... so thought of a details comparison review...

OP
W

writealexthomas

Truth prevails
did ya just say M2A VM nd K9A GM2 for intel? dude, they are AM2 mobos. And AM2 if for AMD.
And 5200+ is for 4.6k net on stores and M2A VM is for 3.2k net.

The lowest gud IGP board u can go for Itnel is XFX 630i Ultra for 3.8k+tax

GOOF UP !!! Copy-Paste typo !

The xorg mumbo-jumbo regarding ATIs is kinda scaring me off AMDs. That means I'd have horrid time installing Ubuntu with all the configuration settings. I guess C2D supporting mobos dont have such issues.

Heck, I was seriously contemplatin Asus M2AVM + AMD X2 5200+ !!! (for me, that looked the best and cheap option)

Is this Intel platform motherboard XFX 630i nvidia 7150 similar to AMD based M2AVM? What would be its street price?

Just a passing thought:
Some of you guys post a thread with a table showing C2D proccy's+mobo and its comparable AMD option in the same price bracket !!

That would solve the queries of many posters at one go!

Last edited:

j1n M@tt

Cyborg Agent
^^XFX 630i 7150 mobo will be around 3.6k.........will be better than M2A-VM@3.2K and has more features than M2A-VM HDMI mobo which is more costlier....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom