Best Site for Downloading

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am a big BSNL H500 night time UL abuser. I like to use the time to download lots, lots and lots of software for linux platform. I download primarily from two sources: sourceforge.net and distro websites. There are a lot of mirrors available, and most suck bad, offering only 150kbps, 48kbps, etc instead of above 220kbps.

For many distros, I found the Australian www.internode.net to be the best bet. Is there something better to download from ? I really need some suggestion as I need the best speed to download well in the night, 2:00 AM to 6:00 AM.

I use downthemall extention of firefox for downloads, and its too touchy about the files being downloaded. For even slightly complex conditions, it suddenly throws some error and download needs to be restarted. I can't resume cancelled or timed out downloads in this stupid download manager and chunks are saved in a seperate temporary folder instead of the download location being used.

So I need a mirror which is uninterruptive, allows resume after many days, throws no time out errors, and is very fast.

kalpik

In Pursuit of "Happyness"
try kerrnel.org, belnet.be mirrors. Also ubuntu mirrors (cdimage, releases) are some of the fastest i've ever seen! I got ~2500 KBps on cdimage.ubuntu.com once :)

try kerrnel.org, belnet.be mirrors. Also ubuntu mirrors (cdimage, releases) are some of the fastest i've ever seen! I got ~2500 KBps on cdimage.ubuntu.com once :)
locations please ?
cdimage is too slow most of the times, as nearly EVERYONE downloads from there.

offtopic: I got my ubuntu hardy heron desktop CD delivered today :D

Last edited:

Ecko

Wandering In Tecno Land
W :) W
Dats Gr8
BTW I use flashget & its adding mirror feature is excellent
I achieve speed upto 150 very very easily
Average speed is around 185
To download any file having alternate location too just first start the file in Flashget
Then copy the alternate location & Flashget will itself ask it to add it as Mirror
Warning :
  1. Method works only for OS images & microsoft downloads
  2. Method won't work if file has different name at target location

If ur talking abt downloading in Linux I dont think i know something dat has got same feature *my.opera.com/community/graphics/smilies/norris.gif

Last edited:

ajaybc

Youngling

Are u sure it is 2500KBps?:shock:
Which connection u have?

sourav123

Thinking Different
I am a big BSNL H500 night time UL abuser. I like to use the time to download lots, lots and lots of software for linux platform. I download primarily from two sources: sourceforge.net and distro websites. There are a lot of mirrors available, and most suck bad, offering only 150kbps, 48kbps, etc instead of above 220kbps.

For many distros, I found the Australian www.internode.net to be the best bet. Is there something better to download from ? I really need some suggestion as I need the best speed to download well in the night, 2:00 AM to 6:00 AM.

I use downthemall extention of firefox for downloads, and its too touchy about the files being downloaded. For even slightly complex conditions, it suddenly throws some error and download needs to be restarted. I can't resume cancelled or timed out downloads in this stupid download manager and chunks are saved in a seperate temporary folder instead of the download location being used.

So I need a mirror which is uninterruptive, allows resume after many days, throws no time out errors, and is very fast.

Try using downloaderforx. This is a good d/l manager for Linux.

By the way, what do you do with all those downloaded software?

kalpik

In Pursuit of "Happyness"
locations please ?
cdimage is too slow most of the times, as nearly EVERYONE downloads from there.

offtopic: I got my ubuntu hardy heron desktop CD delivered today :D
Locations? Just check the mirrors list for any distro and try out the mirrors i gave. cdimage.ubuntu.com has always been SUPER fast for me :)

Are u sure it is 2500KBps?:shock:
Which connection u have?
Yes.. Its 2500 KBps :p But that's at where i work :)

Last edited:

gary4gar

GaurishSharma.com
i have been using debian.nctu.edu.tw/ubuntu.
It is super fast. try this.

and for download manager, i would suggest wget+curl+flashgot;)

Vivek788

In the zone
I too have issue with downthemall,I had searched high and low for a good download manager that allows scheduling and download management.d4x is crap,so is gwget or other such softwares.

Vivek788

In the zone
multiget is not in default repositories of ubuntu...found in sourceforge

*multiget.sourceforge.net/

NucleusKore

TheSaint
MetalheadGautham, there is a way to speed up sourceforge.net downloads which I use :D

Start a download the usual way in firefox

Get actual url form the firefox download box and cancel the download.

Add this to multiget or any other download manager as stopped (don't start yet)

Now in the download page of the file you are trying to download in sourceforge.net, select a different geographic mirror or simple reload the page. The download will start from a new location, capture that link and add it as a mirror to the existing download of your download manager.

In this way, the more mirrors you add, the faster you can go, the only limiting feature being your bandwidth

mehulved

18 Till I Die............
I remember that IITs have accepted the name change for a long time...
Isn't IIT Madras IIT Chennai and IIT Bombay IIT Mumbai today ?

the server was iitm.<something>.in
No, IIT M is IIT Madras and IIT B is IIT Bombay, they choose to keep the traditional name, it's a brand and changing the name of a brand that is doing very well is a stupid idea.
You could have just gone to *www.iitm.ac.in/ to verify that. Site of IIT-B is *www.iitb.ac.in/

gary4gar

GaurishSharma.com
@MetalheadGautham
Did you try my post?

MetalheadGautham, there is a way to speed up sourceforge.net downloads which I use :D

Start a download the usual way in firefox

Get actual url form the firefox download box and cancel the download.

Add this to multiget or any other download manager as stopped (don't start yet)

Now in the download page of the file you are trying to download in sourceforge.net, select a different geographic mirror or simple reload the page. The download will start from a new location, capture that link and add it as a mirror to the existing download of your download manager.

In this way, the more mirrors you add, the faster you can go, the only limiting feature being your bandwidth
Don't you think its too much to steps just to download a simple file?

I better would wait few seconds extra;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom