Best mobo+proccy combination under 10K for Intel/AMD !!

Status
Not open for further replies.

writealexthomas

Truth prevails
Sorry Folks for Double posting....as nobody seemed to be reading the comment I made on other guys thread...I thought of writing a new thread myself....Sorry again mods....

My query is:

I am going to upgrade the motherboard and processor of my system. My budget is strictly 10000/-

After serious considerations and reading through forum posts, I’ve come upon this conclusion:

AMD SOLUTION
PROCESSOR:AMD Athlon X3 8450 @ Rs. 5500 /- + VAT
Mobo: (780G BOARDS)Gigabyte GA-MA78GM-S2H @ Rs. 4400 /-
PRICE:For AMD setup with 780Gboard; that makes it 5500+4400 = 9900/-

INTEL SOLUTION
PROCESSOR:Core2Duo E7200 Rs.5600/-
Mobo: (G-31 BOARDS)Gigabyte GA-G31M-S2L Rs.2800/-ASUS P5KPL-VM >>2850/-ASUS P5KVM >>4500/-Is there any value-for-money budget P35 Board that can be used costing between 3-4.5 K?
PRICE:For INTEL setup with G-31 board; that makes it 5600+2800 = 8400/-
-------------------------------
Out of the above two, which is a better combination. In this table AMD solution looks to be a better bet. As of now, I am interested in onboard graphics. GPU can be added later, if at all required. Please note that I will be using the system mainly for movie encoding, database applications/programming Visual Studio, photoshopping, casual gaming etc.

After reading Legion Hardware's post at *www.legionhardware.com/document.php?id=751&p=0, I feel that for non-serious gamers....E7200 is a better option !

Well, the legion hardware site mainly refrers to unitasking benchmarks. It does NOT show you the benchmarks when running several things at a time. And infact, for hardcore gamers & overclockers, E7200 is a BETTER option.

Phenom X3 8450 is advantageous mainly because it has better multithreading support and hence helps uber multitaskers. Its also better for virtualisation.

Going by only clock power, Phenom clocks at 2.1 x 3 = 6.3Ghz, while Core2 is 2.53 x 2 = 5.06GHz. But since core2 architecture has much better clock to clock performance, the difference is just about nullified. The phenom difference is mainly due to better multithreading support and higher memory bandwidths due to the intergrated memory controller.

BUT, what sets AMD apart is the performance of its motherboards. 780G simply pwns every single Intel motherboard even 1.5x its cost.

OP
W

writealexthomas

Truth prevails
So Gautham, is the config I've written above good or the prices can be brought down anyway in mobo...Is this the minimal rate of 780G mobo or are there other 780G mobos costing less too?

Firstly, Phenom X3 8450 is available at 4.9K in deltapage.com.

As for mobo, well, well, MSI and Gigabyte do have models retailing at 4.5K. And if you are not intrested in high motherboard features, you might want to take a look at Zotac GF8200 motherboard for 3.4K or an AMD 780V motherboard for 3.5K.

OP
W

writealexthomas

Truth prevails
I live in Nainital, Uttaranchal and most of the vendors are plain uninterested/unknowledgeble in AMD systems....Can anybody tell me where in Delhi or elsewhere I can order and buy the thing through post.

I live in Nainital, Uttaranchal and most of the vendors are plain uninterested/unknowledgeble in AMD systems....Can anybody tell me where in Delhi or elsewhere I can order and buy the thing through post.
you must be having a friend or two who are comming over for diwali from delhi ???
in delhi, Nehru Place is THE place to buy stuff.

x3060

A LOTR fan
the amd solution really looks nice...hey i have a m2n-e board will the x3 work in mine?
do i need to change the board?
currently having x2 3600 ...or do i really need to change the proc and board?
am looking to change the card (7600 gt) to 4870.
so thought of upgrading completely to a cheap solution.it has lasted for 2 years now.

Psychosocial

Violent serenity.
Intel is better for OC'ers and gamers and AMD X3 is better for multitaskers. Now it depends on you.

@x3060 -- Ya it will work.

the amd solution really looks nice...hey i have a m2n-e board will the x3 work in mine?
do i need to change the board?
currently having x2 3600 ...or do i really need to change the proc and board?
am looking to change the card (7600 gt) to 4870.
so thought of upgrading completely to a cheap solution.it has lasted for 2 years now.
The X3 is a Socket AM2+ CPU, meaning that it would run on your Socket AM2 motherboard, but HyperTransport 3.0 won't be enabled, meaning that you will NOT get those insane speed boosts in memory performance.

I seriously doubt you need to upgrade your processor and motherboard and even GPU. The set can last another couple of years atleast, and hence its better to keep it and wait half an year for Deneb and Nehalem.

PS: 2 years old ??? My rig is 3 years old but I had to still spend quite a lot for it. How much was yours ? I am guessing it must have cost a bomb since you bought it when AMD was at its peak and dual core was a new phenomenon...

Psychosocial

Violent serenity.
7600GT will play all the games nicely. Crysis is **** and dont make your descisions based on that game *s269.photobucket.com/albums/jj44/visio159/Unismilies/81.png

7600GT will play all the games nicely. Crysis is **** and dont make your descisions based on that game *s269.photobucket.com/albums/jj44/visio159/Unismilies/81.png
crysis is the hottest gaming benchmark there is. period.
all future games will be compared to it.
its the same story that happened to Quake 3 and Far Cry.

Psychosocial

Violent serenity.
^Ture. And the legacy will continue with Far Cry 2 :D. *s269.photobucket.com/albums/jj44/visio159/Unismilies/9.png

acewin

Point Blanc
nearest online dealer for you is lynx-india.com in chandigarh
Otherwise if you walk to Delhi you will certainly get nehru-place

x3060

A LOTR fan
i spend around 40k...
well am not that interested in fps.so crysis is not a big thing for me ..i like rpgs and strategy , currently awaiting for "starcraft 2, diablo III, nwn, red alert 3"
i use system for post production works.
i can change the card , but i am still thinking weather to invest now or wait till a game comes where my card goes for a strike
last time it happened with "oblivion" so changed 5200 to 7600.and p4 to amd.

@ metal...how much did you shell out mate?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom