Best method to encrypt files??

utkarsh73

In the zone
I want to encrypt few files(.docx and .xlsx to be precise) and I am looking for a good encrypting software. The main requirement is the encrypted files must not be software dependent and it must be portable. If I take those files to some other computer, I must be able to decrypt it without the use of encrypting software.
I installed glary utilities yesterday and found a module to encrypt/decrypt files. Is it good enough??

Zangetsu

I am the master of my Fate.
I want to encrypt few files(.docx and .xlsx to be precise) and I am looking for a good encrypting software. The main requirement is the encrypted files must not be software dependent and it must be portable. If I take those files to some other computer, I must be able to decrypt it without the use of encrypting software.
I installed glary utilities yesterday and found a module to encrypt/decrypt files. Is it good enough??

for that windows shud have the inbuilt feature :|

Renny

Padawan
A SFX RAR archive would do it, you wouldn't need any software to decrypt it at the other end.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
that is probably because you are logged in.copy those encrypted files to a pen drive(ntfs formatted only,copying on fat32 will automatically decrypt)& try on another pc/os or try using guest account on your own pc.

OP
utkarsh73

utkarsh73

In the zone
have a look at here ;-)
Encrypt or decrypt a folder or file
When I click the advanced button, the "Encrypt contents to secure data" option is faded out i.e. I cannot click on that option........:-(
Is is because I have W7-HP???

A SFX RAR archive would do it, you wouldn't need any software to decrypt it at the other end.
thats true but I think(not sure though) rar files passwords are easy to break using a software because these files are very common.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
@utkarsh73,rar sfx archive is the best option & as for security just use a password at least 9 characters long having uppercase & lowercase alphabets,at least one number & a special symbol like @ & it is very secure.strength of rar files password is dependent on their length & complexity & the amount of hardware/processing power available to crack the password.see here:
*www.tomshardware.com/reviews/password-recovery-gpu,2945
if you use a 12 character password containing at least one character from uppercase,lowercase,number,special characters & symbols it will take millions of years.

rezurect007

Broken In
Use 7zip. It uses the strongest encryption algorithm standardised by the U.S. government.
Download: Download
*i.imgur.com/0qIaF.png

Encryption method: AES256
Formats:zip,wim,tar,7z
Compression Methods :LZMA,LZMA2,PPMd,Bzip2

Using 7z format, its possible to encrypt even the file names within the folder.

Top Bottom