best high optical zoom camera

click_nature

Broken In
Hi,

wanna buy a good optical camera which gives good picture quality and has a good battery life. Purpose is to have fun in wild get some good pictures of nature and wild life. Cost under 25000/- if less than 20000/- much better.

Have done lots of online data search gone trough hundreds of review and it make life difficult to choose what I want.....

Selected are some few models..
1) Nikon coolpix p510
2) Sony cybershot DSC-HX100V
3) Panasonic lumix DMC-FZ150
4) Canon SX40 HS

Well also most important it should not be heavy on pocket for accessories..... like the Sony... just have to pay for Brand not for product........:lol:

marvelousprashant

Cyborg Agent
just wondering if you can get a nex or olympus mirrorless + a 200mm telephoto lens in your budget? No idea about price of lens though

Both SX40 and FZ150 are great

Under 20000, SX240 is a great choice... but I guess you can get SX40 for 20-21k... much better

sujoyp

Grand Master
we have already researched on this before
HX100V is best VFM with great AF in video
FZ150 is best overall

marvelousprashant u can get a EPL1 and a old 200mm lens of any make using adapter...but u wont get AF

OP
C

click_nature

Broken In
Hi marvelousprashant,

Thanks for ur suggestion, but the lens do cost heavy as the range i guess starts off from say 5k, so as u suggested both are 12 mp and image display resolution 230k and 460k dots for SX40 and FZ150.. what is ur take on this... looking forward for suggestions..

Guys,

Whats ur take on nikon p510... is it really bad. What about the picture quality of all ??

Rockstar11

Technomancer
HX100V is best VFM with great AF in video

+1

Hi marvelousprashant,

Thanks for ur suggestion, but the lens do cost heavy as the range i guess starts off from say 5k, so as u suggested both are 12 mp and image display resolution 230k and 460k dots for SX40 and FZ150.. what is ur take on this... looking forward for suggestions..

Guys,

Whats ur take on nikon p510... is it really bad. What about the picture quality of all ??

Nikon P510 - slow auto focus.

sriharsha_madineni

Cyborg Agent
Hi marvelousprashant,

Guys,

Screen display resolution doesn't matter, its the output picture quality that matters. Althought many people claim SX40 has a leeeetle bit better picture quality, I say FZ150 is better overall.

And regarding Nikon P510, it's not bad, just that SX40 and FZ150 are better.
HX100 is good too, but the auto-focus on FZ150 feels like it's on steroids. Try to get a demo of both, so that it clears all your doubts.

For any doubts regarding FZ150, this youtube channel covers almost everything >> ghough12 - YouTube

dr.rdb

Broken In
Nikon P510 is baap of mega zoom cameras with 42x massive optical zoom!

I heard that Canon SX40 is better than P510. P510 has GPS which often fails! :( Focusing problem while zooming during video capture! Also HD video capture is not good.
Also as I know in Kolkata P510 is around 20K, while ZF150 is 22K around.

So budget wise P510 is a rocker!

OP
C

click_nature

Broken In
Hi,

Thanks for the suggestions again.....:doublethumb:

Today my office colleague suggested to check out sony hx200v.... did some online check not clear no much reviews are available.....

how does this compare to fz150..???:confused:

Rockstar11

Technomancer
Nikon P510 is baap of mega zoom cameras with 42x massive optical zoom!

I heard that Canon SX40 is better than P510. P510 has GPS which often fails! :( Focusing problem while zooming during video capture! Also HD video capture is not good.
Also as I know in Kolkata P510 is around 20K, while ZF150 is 22K around.

So budget wise P510 is a rocker!

Sony HX100V give more battery life compare to Nikon P510

sriharsha_madineni

Cyborg Agent
Hi,

Thanks for the suggestions again.....:doublethumb:

Today my office colleague suggested to check out sony hx200v.... did some online check not clear no much reviews are available.....

how does this compare to fz150..???:confused:

This should help, though the comparison is b/w Fz150, SX40 & HX100v, it should give you some idea.

Panasonic FZ150 vs HX100V vs SX40 HS vs FZ47 / FZ48 | Cameralabs

Canon SX40 HS vs Panasonic FZ150 vs Sony HX100V | Cameralabs

aadi007

Journeyman
FZ 150 eyes closed..
main reason is the superfast autofocus and overall fast operation.
Also, ability to capture RAW and better wide angle lens.
And the image quality is better and sharper.

HX100 has a bigger zoom. If that is more important to you, go for it.

Rockstar11

Technomancer
FZ 150 eyes closed..
main reason is the superfast autofocus and overall fast operation.
Also, ability to capture RAW and better wide angle lens.
And the image quality is better and sharper.

HX100 has a bigger zoom. If that is more important to you, go for it.

+1 if you want all rounder digicam with HIGH Zoom.
go for Sony Hx100v

sriharsha_madineni

Cyborg Agent
^^
Can you please elaborate the word "All rounder" for HX100V?

Fz150
+ Does RAW
+ Supports numerous accessories like ext mic, remotes, intervoltmeter and more via the microphone jack
+ Has hot-shoe, again no need explain the possibilities & accessories
+ Takes 52mm filters directly, without any adapters
+ Throw in the optional adapter, there are a lot of original conversion lenses available as well, apart from third party lenses.

These are just the official accessories, not to mention the barrage of third party ones.

DMC-FZ150 | PRODUCTS | LUMIX | Digital Camera | Panasonic Global

Agreed HX100v is a good camera, but allrounder? Meh.

Last edited:

Rockstar11

Technomancer
^^
Can you please elaborate the word "All rounder" for HX100V?

Fz150
+ Does RAW
+ Supports numerous accessories like ext mic, remotes, intervoltmeter and more via the microphone jack
+ Has hot-shoe, again no need explain the possibilities & accessories
+ Takes 52mm filters directly, without any adapters
+ Throw in the optional adapter, there are a lot of original conversion lenses available as well, apart from third party lenses.

These are just the official accessories, not to mention the barrage of third party ones.

DMC-FZ150 | PRODUCTS | LUMIX | Digital Camera | Panasonic Global

Agreed HX100v is a good camera, but allrounder? Meh.

all rounder means...
1. High optical 30x zoom
2. Higher resolution screen 921k dots
(With the rear hinge design of the HX100V's LCD, you frame the composition while looking directly behind the lens, which may feel more intuitive for some users. The fold-out screen on the FZ150 offers more flexible viewing angles when holding the camera in a portrait orientation.)

3. Has a GPS
4. faster max shutter speed 1/4000s
5. 16MP 'Exmor R' CMOS sensor

i agree for "taking Images" The FZ150 delivers superb contrast and natural color :)

Buy the Panasonic FZ150 if priority is image quality.
Get the Sony HX100V if it has the features you want that are not available on the Panasonic.

Hi Guys....

Final verdit required will be buying this sunday...

Panasonic FZ150 or Sony HX100V

so which camera you are going to buy?

Last edited:

aadi007

Journeyman
all rounder means...
1. High optical 30x zoom
Yes, agree. But it looses out on the wide angle.
2. Higher resolution screen 921k dots
(With the rear hinge design of the HX100V's LCD, you frame the composition while looking directly behind the lens, which may feel more intuitive for some users. The fold-out screen on the FZ150 offers more flexible viewing angles when holding the camera in a portrait orientation.)
Yes, but the fully articulated LCD has its own advantages and offers excellent visibility

3. Has a GPS
Agreed. But not sure how many is interested
4. faster max shutter speed 1/4000s
Have you ever felt the need for a shutter speed of more than 1/2000 sec which the FZ150 offers? I think I haven't gone beyond 1/500 or so..
5. 16MP 'Exmor R' CMOS sensor
So? As far as I can see, the 12MP sensor on the Pana produces better image quality and less noise.

i agree for "taking Images" The FZ150 delivers superb contrast and natural color :)

Buy the Panasonic FZ150 if priority is image quality.
Get the Sony HX100V if it has the features you want that are not available on the Panasonic.

The biggest advantage of the Pana is the faster focussing speed and overall speed of operation besides other advantages like RAW, external attachments like flash,mic,lenses,filters,adapters.

To conclude- the Pana FZ150 is more for an enthusiast photographer whereas the HX100V is more of a superzoom P&S delight.

nac

Aspiring Novelist
Now you guys are confusing rockstar... :grin:

It took him months to finalize HX100V. I think he yet to buy that cam... Now you guys are really confusing him....

Top Bottom