Basic Guide Purchase a New System

Status
Not open for further replies.

W i d e S c r e e N

Ambassador of Buzz
I got the problem solved of clickin noise. It gave birth to a new problem, there's a freeze on running processes, maybe an internal problem or whatever..

I've been using this config since mid 2005, the system runs 15hrs/day. It has handled demanding tasks. Still is. But i think due to the issue my future files maybe in danger.

Should i hold on or sell it?

A quick and straightforward little question:

I heard old samsung 80GB HDDs had lots of issues. Is it true ? Can someone tell me if my 2005 Samsung 80GB SATA HDD has those ultra low life expectancy problems ? When should I start backing up ?

anubisX

Journeyman
Thnx Choto for the suggestion. I have another question, I've a LG 19" TFT (with no DVI) and I want to upgrade it to 22". Which model should I go for ? Dell is not available in Kolkata. LG or Samsung will be fine, budget is +/-15K. Please suggest me. Is it worth upgrading ? Which GPU should I go for ? Tirupati told me about ATi Radeon 3650 512MB which is like 7K. Is it good ? Or should I go for nVidia ?

OP
Choto Cheeta

Choto Cheeta

Rebooting
@Gary,

Bro, 19" TFTs are sweet spot in terms of Value for money, where as good 22" would be out of your budget :(

Very nice, can you give a Intel based setup, AMD is not very popular here.
i may not be be able to get one here in Jaipur, wish i was in Mumbai or something

True that finding GA-MA78GM-S2H along with X3 may be a hard task in your place, but I am certain you will get X2 4800+ widelly available...

If you have to wait 15 days for the X3 + that mobo, its worth the wait but if the price of the processor is asked to high, then switch to AMD Athlon X2 4800+ :) to save few penny and getting a Creative 5.1 T6060 if you are more in entertainment !!!

See in case of intel with this budget and TFT requirement, one would get a DG33BR along with E4500 C2D which really no where compare to performance of X3 + 780G motherboard !!!

MetalheadGaitham said:
I heard old samsung 80GB HDDs had lots of issues. Is it true ? Can someone tell me if my 2005 Samsung 80GB SATA HDD has those ultra low life expectancy problems ? When should I start backing up ?

Huh ??

brother, whether u shold back up or not, doesnt depend on your hardware, rather its the data which isthe key factor in the decision whether to back up and when to back up...

No matter if you have a HDD given by the CEO or WD personally to you, still there are plenty of other factor which may cause the HDD to malfunction, both hardware / software...

So if you have some valuable data, back up from the day u put that in your HDD...

Now as far performance concern, we have few 80 GB purchased round about that time, and cant remember any (even no brand) giving problem...

Infact till now at-least rarely I find hardware issue with my drives, no matter which ever brand they are from...

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
A word of caution, Phenom X3 has 3 cores due to which some applications 7 even Windows has problems recognizing it sometimes 7 using it properly, for example Photoshop will only use 2 core & not the 3rd one when using Phenom X3. We are using a new PhenomX3 workstation here & this is a case I saw here. Either use 2 core or 4 core to be on the safer side.

Huh ??

brother, whether u shold back up or not, doesnt depend on your hardware, rather its the data which isthe key factor in the decision whether to back up and when to back up...

No matter if you have a HDD given by the CEO or WD personally to you, still there are plenty of other factor which may cause the HDD to malfunction, both hardware / software...

So if you have some valuable data, back up from the day u put that in your HDD...

Now as far performance concern, we have few 80 GB purchased round about that time, and cant remember any (even no brand) giving problem...

Infact till now at-least rarely I find hardware issue with my drives, no matter which ever brand they are from...
thanks a million. I can live peacefully now. :)
A word of caution, Phenom X3 has 3 cores due to which some applications 7 even Windows has problems recognizing it sometimes 7 using it properly, for example Photoshop will only use 2 core & not the 3rd one when using Phenom X3. We are using a new PhenomX3 workstation here & this is a case I saw here. Either use 2 core or 4 core to be on the safer side.
but 3 cores is basically to help in multitasking better. so I doubt these errors would be of significance when you run 10 apps at a time.:?

ferrarisagar

Right off the assembly line
Re: Is this configuration gud ??

my budget is till 8000..
is amd 4800+ x2 gud ??
and asus motherboard m2mnxse(quadcore support) ??
how is the performance of ausus motherboard ??

Night-Rider

Journeyman
I was going to upgrade my pc from
p4 3.0
512 mb ddr
intel 915g motherboard (AGP)
80gb hd
Onboard IGP

TO

CPU - Core2Duo E7200 Rs.5900/-
MOBO - ABIT IP35-E Rs.5350/-
GPU - EVGA 9600GT SC Rs.9200/-
PSU - CM Extreme Power 500W Rs.2650/-
RAM - 2GB 800MHz Rs.1950/-
Total= Rs.25,050/-

But as u ppl are saying prices are going to fall. But can u tell me when can i expect?
If prices don't fall much and i have to stick with the current config. Can u suggest me the substitutes to the CPU and MOTHERBOARD? As they are not available here. E7200 processor is very rarely found in a shop and many vendors here haven't even heard of ABIT motherboard.

I was going to upgrade my pc from
p4 3.0
512 mb ddr
intel 915g motherboard (AGP)
80gb hd
Onboard IGP

TO

CPU - Core2Duo E7200 Rs.5900/-
MOBO - ABIT IP35-E Rs.5350/-
GPU - EVGA 9600GT SC Rs.9200/-
PSU - CM Extreme Power 500W Rs.2650/-
RAM - 2GB 800MHz Rs.1950/-
Total= Rs.25,050/-

But as u ppl are saying prices are going to fall. But can u tell me when can i expect?
If prices don't fall much and i have to stick with the current config. Can u suggest me the substitutes to the CPU and MOTHERBOARD? As they are not available here. E7200 processor is very rarely found in a shop and many vendors here haven't even heard of ABIT motherboard.
I seriously recommend you NOT to buy 9600GT. It is just not priced right. Get either 9600GSO for 6.3K, or an 8800GT for 10.5k.

Yes, prices are going to fall in a month because AMD is launching HD4870 and HD4850 GPUs. So 8800GT may go below 10k. Then again, the HD48x0 GPUs will affect only the 10k range, so lower ones would not be affected. This means 9600GT and 8800GT are the main affected. So I recommend you get a 9600GSO since I doubt it can be affected by this AMD launch and its also good enough to play any game today at moderate to high settings.

Prices of E7200 will fall when demand for it subsides and the supply demand ratio becomes more even, or more favourable towards supply (I am an economics n00b, but I guess I am right this time). This will take a LOOONG time I fear since everyone is running after E7200 for a budget overclocked gaming rig. Instead of 6k for E7200, its better to get E4600 for 4.2k which is common and performs almost as good. Its sadly the only option for now since its still flooding the markets.

Or, if you want to do stuff like 64 bit virtualisation and much better multi tasking along with faster memory performance at the cost of lesser per core power which is negligible unless you want to do nothing but game, get AMD Phenom X3 8450/8750 and Gigabit 780G. The advantage here is that you get uber cool onboard graphics which will hold on till 4850 becomes cheap, and that you get more motherboard features like eSATA, etc which are not there in ABit IP35-E. Also, it has hybrid crossfire graphics option, and if you buy HD3650, HD3550 or HD3450 gfx card, or some yet to be named card from HD4xxx series, you can use the onboard card and the external card together in crossfire and the external card will be on ONLY if its power is required. Meaning power saving.

gary4gar

GaurishSharma.com
okay things are taking shape finally.

based on suggestion from many people here and a local dealer , i have made a rough draft of a INTEL based PC.
not comfortable with AMD, so will be buying from Intel's stable.

Core 2 Duo E 8200
Intel DP35DP
Transcend 2X1GB 800MHz
NVIDIA 8600GT
Seagate 250GB Single Platter ST3250310AS
Samsung 203B/D 20x SATA 20x DVD ReWriter
Dell 19" SE198WFP OR LG

need suggestion on CPU/Mobo & graphics card.
rest parts are almost final:)

forever

filth is me
Mobo advice needed.

hey fellas. i was hoping you all could suggest me what motherboard would appease my needs. im planning to buy

Core 2 duo model
HD4850 gfx card
Only 1 sata hdd (no intention to add another one in the future)
2 GB RAM (i dont think id ever go above the 4 GB mark)
1 duorb cooler for the VGA

i dont intend to overclock either the cpu or the gpu in the future and would run them only at default speeds. Please suggest me a brand/model to go with.
Thank you!

Pathik

Google Bot
If you arent in terested in OCing, then you should go for an AMD setup. Go for a Phenom X3 8450 + Gigabyte 780G. And later on get a 4850 when it releases.

OP
Choto Cheeta

Choto Cheeta

Rebooting
@gary4gar

NO AMD option available ?? anyawy, if thats the PC you have to go for then try for ABiT IP35-E over that Intel board :) but still i feel even if AMD means wait for few days, it would worth it.

If you arent in terested in OCing, then you should go for an AMD setup. Go for a Phenom X3 8450 + Gigabyte 780G. And later on get a 4850 when it releases.

Kolkata dealers are claiming to Sapphire HD 4850 @ Rs. 9900/- + VAT :confused: however I am unable t check the authenticity as I have not yet come across any one buying one :lol:

Last edited:

prakum

Broken In
suggest a PC config for 25K budget

How about this?

Gigabyte GA-P35-S3G OR ABIT IP35-E
Intel Core 2 Duo E7200 (1066MHz FSB, 2.53GHz clock frequency and 3MB L2)
Corsair XMS2 2 x 1GB 800MHz
Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 80GB
ViewSonic 17'' TFT Monitor
Lite-On DVD-RW
Cooler Master OR Zebronics cabinet
Logitech Multimedia PS2
Logitech Mouse

Last edited:

gary4gar

GaurishSharma.com
@gary4gar

NO AMD option available ?? anyawy, if thats the PC you have to go for then try for ABiT IP35-E over that Intel board :) but still i feel even if AMD means wait for few days, it would worth it.

Kolkata dealers are claiming to Sapphire HD 4850 @ Rs. 9900/- + VAT :confused: however I am unable t check the authenticity as I have not yet come across any one buying one :lol:
basically, not comfortable with AMD. need INTEL CPU only

here is Config changed in your suggestions:
Core 2 Duo E7200
ABit IP35-E
Transcend 2X1GB 800MHz
NVIDIA 8600GT
Seagate 250GB Single Platter ST3250310AS
Samsung 203B/D 20x SATA 20x DVD ReWriter
Dell 19" SE198WFP OR LG

I don't plan any OCING:D

[QUESTION]
Can i use my existing Speakers, they are huge ones they which came with my audio player. and also they sound good.

this i would save cost & space

Last edited:
OP
Choto Cheeta

Choto Cheeta

Rebooting
Can i use my existing Speakers, they are huge ones they which came with my audio player. and also they sound good.

this i would save cost & space

Yes but also NO...

See those huge speakers doesnt have their own audio signal amplifier, hence u cant directly plug them in ur PC audio out...

To use them u have to 1st take the PC audio input to a Audio amplifier, for exampl the Audio Player with which u have got these speaker would have an amplifier :) now that device would send amplified the signal to the BOX to play properly :)

Pathik

Google Bot
Choto, wats the price of the x3 8450 there?
I think AMD should make a strong comeback now due to low pricing, hybrid gfx and its new gpus.

gary4gar

GaurishSharma.com
Yes but also NO...

See those huge speakers doesnt have their own audio signal amplifier, hence u cant directly plug them in ur PC audio out...

To use them u have to 1st take the PC audio input to a Audio amplifier, for exampl the Audio Player with which u have got these speaker would have an amplifier :) now that device would send amplified the signal to the BOX to play properly :)
Can you show a diagram or something like that?

also, i hope this method is safe, i don't want to end up with a b0rked mobo:D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom