Basic Guide Purchase a New System

Status
Not open for further replies.

john_the_ultimate

No pain....No gain
Even I know that saurav..............I came to know my mobo was faulty only when I tried to install the 4 modules. Earlier I had just two modules (which were not installed into the white slots) so didn't knew my mobo was faulty.
Actually only the first slot is faulty and this is not rare, do know a few people who have this same problem and had to go for a replacement. So no harm in checking. In one of the case two slots were bad.
The earliest batch of XFX 650i Ultra didnot have this problem. Since some of my friends are using this same mobo with 4 modules. All of them were bought before mine.

OP
Choto Cheeta

Choto Cheeta

Rebooting
john said:
Actually only the first slot is faulty and this is not rare, do know a few people who have this same problem and had to go for a replacement. So no harm in checking. In one of the case two slots were bad.

Wow... this is some thing new !!! as when it comes to 4 / 5 people, from Different part of Country facing same problem... then we have a issue... !!!!

tell me, john, what exactly u mean by no boot ?? i mean u cant even inter the BIOS when u had that faulty Mobo ??

as see, why i am asking is, by any chance u had any confilct with PAE switch ??

*www.microsoft.com/whdc/system/platform/server/PAE/PAEdrv.mspx

happend with me once with using x1600 Pro + 4 GB :p

so, one more thing, tell me, atleast here at Kolkata, best of the shops wont have 4GB extra RAM to test with.... yeah may be u and i can test as we have the hardware access, but for a new user or buyer, whats the proces of testing ??

Last edited:

john_the_ultimate

No pain....No gain
That's the whole point.......anyhow, the machine won't even enter the bios. Well new buyers can take a single module and put it into the first slot. If the machine works fine then just simply shut it down............take out the module from the first slot and put it into the next slot for testing.
But in rare cases, a single module works fine in any of the slots but the moment you try to boot with 3 or more modules the machine would refuse to boot.

OP
Choto Cheeta

Choto Cheeta

Rebooting
@pathiks

In my case, i was stuck with PAE swicth, but in case of John it is one Hardware problem... however seems he got one replacement from XFX !!!!

rohan4pal

Pain is Forever
Choto Cheeta said:
anyway Personally I am thinking of buying one 8400 GS !!! :) Rs. 2800/- + TAX :p

hi!! Choto Cheeta how is 8400GS for gaming compared to 6200TC........coz next month i'm also going for 7600Gt o 8600GT.......any advice.....thnx :)

OP
Choto Cheeta

Choto Cheeta

Rebooting
rohan4pal said:
hi!! Choto Cheeta how is 8400GS for gaming compared to 6200TC........

well see on paper both will come with Share memory... :D but 8400 GS engine is far far far better than 6200 :lol:

rohan said:
coz next month i'm also going for 7600Gt o 8600GT.......any advice.....thnx

dont thing of 8400 gs then :lol: anyway, whats ur system config ?? and of course 8600 GT is the choise for me in compare to those Cards !!!!

rohan4pal

Pain is Forever
Choto Cheeta said:
well see on paper both will come with Share memory... :D but 8400 GS engine is far far far better than 6200 :lol:

dont thing of 8400 gs then :lol: anyway, whats ur system config ?? and of course 8600 GT is the choise for me in compare to those Cards !!!!
well its P4 3.0 ASUS P5GL-MX Mobo (supports PCI-E)
1.5gb DDR400, 80gb HD well my PC supports all game of todays date but i think its my graphic card tht is not supporting the games coz some of the games runs on little avg FPS..

Last edited:
OP
Choto Cheeta

Choto Cheeta

Rebooting
^^^

Well ur config will run 8600 GT without any problem, but u will face issue with HD Movies for sure... !!!!

So, may be i think even for u too, right now, no update or very little update on the system would be wise :p as wait till u have bidget to go for a Dual core....

So no update or little update, like 8400 GS :p

rohan4pal

Pain is Forever
Choto Cheeta said:
^^^

Well ur config will run 8600 GT without any problem, but u will face issue with HD Movies for sure... !!!!
sorry but i have no idea about HD Movies....:confused:....can u explain me plz.....

mukherjee

Treatment in progress...
ok den...getting the XFX 650i ultra

nw which cpu shud i opt for? e4400 or e6320?

e4400+2*1gb ddr2 667
e6320+1/2*1gb ddr2 667???????

Regarding the XFX 650i Ultra motherboard

Could you please guide me as to how to place a stock aftermarket 12v 80mm fan on top of the north bridge?

also recommend a similar fan/heatsink/fan+heatsink solution for the southbridge.

I heard they are absolutely necessary to help keep the mobo cool.

Last edited:

Pathik

Google Bot
^^ that should be necessary only on very high OCs.. also y dont u get a 6750???
@rohan get a 8600gt...

mukherjee

Treatment in progress...
pathiks said:
^^ that should be necessary only on very high OCs.. also y dont u get a 6750???

I cant get any 6x50 because the mobo doesnt support 1333mhz cpu without the p03 bios update.The one at sale has the p01 or at best the p02 bios revison.
and yes...i do plan to overclock....
so can you help me wid the fans?
at least guide me na!

keith_j_snyder2

Rising ApocalypsE
mukherjee said:
How izz dat possible?
wat will i tell him? i mean,hw com i m going to make him understand the whole crap of this bios update stuff?:eek:

well if u talk to a computer hardware dealer...he will understand what is BIOS.Tell him to update the BIOS of motherboard because u need to run the 1333 MHz Processor onto that & it is possible only when someone upgrade the BIOS.
If he say its not possible then tell him to make system RUN with a Conroe 1333Mhz.
I m sure he will understand....if he is not a veggie seller...LOL...

If he still not understand then go to another shop & narrate the same story.
Well mine querry was perfectly solved by Computer Empire guys!

mukherjee

Treatment in progress...
keith_j_snyder2 said:
well if u talk to a computer hardware dealer...he will understand what is BIOS.Tell him to update the BIOS of motherboard because u need to run the 1333 MHz Processor onto that & it is possible only when someone upgrade the BIOS.
If he say its not possible then tell him to make system RUN with a Conroe 1333Mhz.
I m sure he will understand....if he is not a veggie seller...LOL...

If he still not understand then go to another shop & narrate the same story.
Well mine querry was perfectly solved by Computer Empire guys!

my oh my...:D wat a story.

newys....mayb i'll go in for 6320 or 4400 afterall...cash strapped na!:(

can u hlp me wid the fans?as i have posted above?Please!

keith_j_snyder2

Rising ApocalypsE
Well there is a simple solution for it
*www.hardwarecanucks.com/hardwarecanuck-reviews/1966-nexus-nhp-2200-northbridge-cooler-review.html
*www.3dgameman.com/forums/showthread.php?t=46590
*www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=993572&CatId=498
*www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=674629&CatId=498
*www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=993564&CatId=498
*aphnetworks.com/reviews/antec_spot_cool

or U can use any common heatsink and use it with the SB or NB and use a good quality thermal paste.

cynosure

UbuntuUser
Guys does SB needs so much of cooling that one needs a separate heatsink awa a fan. I am not talking about extreme OC but milder ones. Like Q6600 OC to 2.8-3.0GHz?

john_the_ultimate

No pain....No gain
It depends, like if the overall stable o'clock can be achieved with stock SB voltage or little increment then cooling is not necessary. But if you pumping a higher voltage then surely it needs the cooling.
That's the reason most of the highend mobo which are good overclocker, have some type cooling for the SB.
Now taking that Quad to 3.0GHz does need some serious cooling.

amit_pune

Right off the assembly line
pls suggest...

i am buying a new desktop pc..
primary application - gaming..

is the following conf. good?
can i put graphics/sound cards later on? is that necesary ? which?:confused:

dual core 1.6 ghz 800 mhz
intel 945GCCR motherboard
1 GB ram 667 mhz transcend
segate IDE 80 gb

thanks in advance.