Basic Guide Purchase a New System

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cilus

laborare est orare
^^ Since you are gonna use 20" display (1600X900), I think HD 5770 is enough. By the way, right now AMD has re-branded the HD 5770 and 5750 with 6770 and 6750 with the added support of HD3D and Bluray3D support. So get the Sapphire HD 6770 @ 7.1K.
But if you want a little more horse power, get Zotac GTX 460 768 MB, available @ 8.4K, better than HD 6770.

Skud

Super Moderator
Staff member
At smc its 14500 and 15990 respectively with free shipping. :razz:

Mukherjee just beats me. :))

And welcome to TDF darth_vader1280...

constantine

its quiet...too quiet....
MSI gtx560 ti hawk or MSI HD6950 TF III PE - for animation , rendering and gaming ( All in equal amounts . ) ? ( monitor size - 22" or 24" , procc - i7 2600k - if required )

I've been getting mixed replies everywhere else , you guys generally seem to be on the same page . so help ?

Skud

Super Moderator
Staff member
Friends never beat each other...they walk along ;)

Thanks buddy. :)

MSI gtx560 ti hawk or MSI HD6950 TF III PE - for animation , rendering and gaming ( All in equal amounts . ) ? ( monitor size - 22" or 24" , procc - i7 2600k - if required )

I've been getting mixed replies everywhere else , you guys generally seem to be on the same page . so help ?

3D Animation and rendering for fun, learning or serious business? If its for professional purpose better to get a workstation class graphics IMO. But it won't help in gaming. For all-round purpose, my choice is 6950. For monitor get the largest possible size. Proccy is i7 2600k for sure. ;)

constantine

Hmm.. well you could say learning cause its for my course . and i need gaming too so no way for a workstation .
Cant spend too much on the monitor so a 24" LED / LCD would do .

Skud

Super Moderator
Staff member
Hmm.. well you could say learning cause its for my course . and i need gaming too so no way for a workstation .
Cant spend too much on the monitor so a 24" LED / LCD would do .

Do you want a complete system or some components only?

constantine

I have most of it figured out(thanks to you guys ) , just the card and the monitor i gotta decide on .

Now HD 6950 TF III PE 's APP or GTX 560 ti Hawk 's CUDA and Physx ? Which of these are better for rendering and stuff ?

Also monitor - Benq or Dell - any suggestions ?

Skud

Super Moderator
Staff member
Monitor: Dell UltraSharp U2311H @ 14.5k

Is your course include physx programming also? If not, then 6950 TFIII is a much better choice.

Cilus

laborare est orare
PhysX does not provide any help in rendering. Also you can't start PhysX programming as PhysX library is not open source like OpenCL and nVidia only shares the library with their authorized game developers.

So get HD6950 Twin Frozer III, best choice in rendering. You will also be benefited from the 2 GB frame buffer of it while rendering very intensive 3D models.

tkin

Back to school!!
PhysX does not provide any help in rendering. Also you can't start PhysX programming as PhysX library is not open source like OpenCL and nVidia only shares the library with their authorized game developers.

So get HD6950 Twin Frozer III, best choice in rendering. You will also be benefited from the 2 GB frame buffer of it while rendering very intensive 3D models.
Please use google first before saying something so confidently:
PhysX Downloads | NVIDIA Developer Zone

Its not open source(most open source softwares don't advance fast enough, no offense), but its totally free, for both personal as commercial use.

Also note, amd's drivers related to rendering etc are a total mess, nvidia's drivers are more compatible and are better maintained, if rendering is your game :p then get nVidia, nVidia still leads the market when it comes to workstation cards.

I have most of it figured out(thanks to you guys ) , just the card and the monitor i gotta decide on .

Now HD 6950 TF III PE 's APP or GTX 560 ti Hawk 's CUDA and Physx ? Which of these are better for rendering and stuff ?

Also monitor - Benq or Dell - any suggestions ?
Pure rendering? Maya. 3dsmax etc? Go nVidia eyes shut, try to grab a workstation card, casual renderer? Get nVidia but go with consumer cards, like 560ti.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom