Basic Guide Purchase a New System

Status
Not open for further replies.

tkin

Back to school!!
Will CX400 be enough for athlon x4 620, ATI 5750, 2 hdds, 785g chipset and other regular stuff?
No, i suggest at least Corsair VX450 or Tagan 500w. Corsair is better but is a bit costly.

Its enough but say if you later add a high end GPU/CPU or add more HDDs the CX400 may not be enough.

Last edited:

spikygv

Wise Old Owl
hi,

Need a bit of help from you guys.

I'll be buying a new PC by the month end. The PC will be used for light gaming , browsing , ECE engineering apps ( matlab , modelsim , PSpice , AVR studio etc.. ) , downloading ( 12x7 ) , a bit of programming with .NET using C# and maybe a bit of XNA too and listening to music.

I'll keep the dell 22' screen(1680x1050 is the resolution) and the speakers. So , i'll be needing cabby and everything to put in it.

The budget is 40k. not exactly fixed. I'm in the 5th semester of my ECE course , so I'll probably be using this rig for three years to come.

Here's what i've thought of

Core2Quad q9400 - 10k
MSI P43 Neo F - 4.5k ( how is service/warranty of MSI ? any suggestions ? )
Corsair 2x2 gb ddr2 800 MHz - 3.5k
drd rw - 1000 ( which one makes the least noise ? )
500 GB seagate HDD - 2.5k ( they took 7 days to replace my friends HDD. Hope i dont face it )
gtx260 / radeon 4870 / radeon 5770 ( help me out here guys ) - 10k
CM elite cabby - 1.8k
corsair vx450 - 4k ( is this enough if i choose to take a 4870 ? )
APC UPS - 3k

That comes to 40.3k. This isnt from a quotation , just the online prices approximated.

I know the phenom II and am3 offers a better upgrade path. But

1. I wont be upgrading for 3 years by which time i'm sure am3 will be out.
2. DDR3 is wayy too costly
3. My dad is an intel fanboy.

With that said , what do you guys think i should buy ? Any and all suggestions and ideas are welcome.

Sorry for the rather long post. And thanks in advance.

Krow

Crowman
^Errr.... tell your Dad that AMD is better at that budget. Or wait for Intel's new architecture which launch by early next year. Or up your budget to get Core i5. No DDR3 is similarly priced to DDR2. Prices have risen recently. If you want a remotely future proof rig, then this is the way to go. Wait for prices to drop on the 5770 and then get it. 12k is nonsense for that card.

Core i5 750 @ 10.5k
Gigabyte P55M-UD2 @ 7k
2x2GB DDR3 @ 4.5k

Get 1TB WD Green @ 4k
Corsair VX450W can handle all the cards you mentioned.

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!
hi,

Need a bit of help from you guys.

I'll be buying a new PC by the month end. The PC will be used for light gaming , browsing , ECE engineering apps ( matlab , modelsim , PSpice , AVR studio etc.. ) , downloading ( 12x7 ) , a bit of programming with .NET using C# and maybe a bit of XNA too and listening to music.

I'll keep the dell 22' screen(1680x1050 is the resolution) and the speakers. So , i'll be needing cabby and everything to put in it.

The budget is 40k. not exactly fixed. I'm in the 5th semester of my ECE course , so I'll probably be using this rig for three years to come.

Here's what i've thought of

Core2Quad q9400 - 10k
MSI P43 Neo F - 4.5k ( how is service/warranty of MSI ? any suggestions ? )
Corsair 2x2 gb ddr2 800 MHz - 3.5k
drd rw - 1000 ( which one makes the least noise ? )
500 GB seagate HDD - 2.5k ( they took 7 days to replace my friends HDD. Hope i dont face it )
gtx260 / radeon 4870 / radeon 5770 ( help me out here guys ) - 10k
CM elite cabby - 1.8k
corsair vx450 - 4k ( is this enough if i choose to take a 4870 ? )
APC UPS - 3k

That comes to 40.3k. This isnt from a quotation , just the online prices approximated.

I know the phenom II and am3 offers a better upgrade path. But

1. I wont be upgrading for 3 years by which time i'm sure am3 will be out.
2. DDR3 is wayy too costly
3. My dad is an intel fanboy.

With that said , what do you guys think i should buy ? Any and all suggestions and ideas are welcome.

Sorry for the rather long post. And thanks in advance.

1. and LGA775 is already phasing out
2. not anymore. you can get transcend ddr3 for 2.3k for 2gig stick.
3. then you be amd fanboy :)

for a budget of 40k, amd would be the best choice. ask your dad whether his money want to be put in a wise config or waste the money to protect fanboyism ;)

spikygv

Wise Old Owl
Thanks for your replies everyone.

@desiibond ,

1. why should lga 775 getting phased out bother me ?
2. cool ! i5 might be a possibility. Since i'm not much of an OCer , value rams are fine.
3. LOL. . me being amd fanboy.

i asked my dad. He prefers protecting his fanboyism. No-No to AMD even if it means higher cost for intel system / lower performance of intel system.

@Krow

Waiting sucks. If u see my siggy , u'll know i'm rather desperate. my poor pc cant even take the circuit simulation software well enough. Hell , it takes 10 - 15 secs for firefox to start !

Point taken about DDR3.

I completely agree that 5770 is bullshit at 12k. Should have been 9k as desiibond told b4 it got launched.
So , do i go with radeon 4870 ? I see little point in waiting.AFAIK neither nvidia nor ati have plans for mid range gpu's in the coming 3-4 months. At best , 5770's price will come down to 9k. Even at that point , 5770 will be having lower performance than 4870. Either 4870 price falls or i wont find it in stores.
----

Will core i5 really make a big difference with a g-card like radeon 4870 ? i thought q9400 had enough juice. Actually , i was thinking of x4 620(or e7500) with 5850. .

If i were to buy 4870 now , then can i play games that get released after 2.5 yrs ?
when do u reckon dx11 will become the baseline like dx9 is as of today ?

Last edited:

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!
none of the graphic cards available today will be able to play games that release after 2.5yrs or 3yrs.

you have waited till now. just wait for another month or two because.

1) core i5 price will come down a bit
2) ddr3 rams will become lot more affordable
3) you will see lot more P55 boards
4) Much better pricing on HD5xxx series and a possibility of Nvidia Fermi based cards in mainstream market
5) more mobos with usb3 and sata3

with so many things coming up, it is better for you to wait.

spikygv

Wise Old Owl
thanks for the quick reply.

1. thats great. but do i need the i5 ?
2. by how much , 600-800 bucks ? i dont think that'll matter too much.
3. i'll be really happy to see non-intel p55 boards for < 5k.
4. do you really think nvidia will pull out a mainstream fermi in 2 months ? Their high end fermi is scheduled for Q1 2010 .. i dont expect mainstream derivatives till march 2010 atleast in india
5. i can always get an add on pcie card for supporting usb3 .. i dont think i'll miss usb3. .sata3 ? really ? that makes me ponder. . but initial sata3 hdd pricing will be high and i probably cant go for that.

The problems that i spot with i5 are two-fold.
1. there seems to be a racket about p55 sockets being bad.
2. i5 gets really hot. I'll probably need an aftermarket cooler which will be difficult to get and will cost atleast 2k. This will stretch my budget too much.

punkkummander

Broken In
could you please suggest a good system for 40k. it'll be used only for gaming. i'd like it to be dx11 compliant. speakers and dvd writer kb mouse not needed.

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!
you want a rig that can last for 3yrs, then yes, you do need i5 or i7.

that p55 socket damage happens only with extreme overclocking and core i5 runs lot cooler than core i7 and it doesn't need an aftermarket cooler.

have you ever used USB 1.1? it was lot lot slower than 2.0 and usb3 provides blazing speeds.

see, if you want to shell out 40k-45k on old hardware that is reaching EOL, fine, go ahead and get it. it's your money and it's your decision.

if you are going to get much better h/w and same or lower price if you can wait, there is no reason to hurry.

*www.tomshardware.com/reviews/intel-core-i5,2410-12.html
*www.bit-tech.net/hardware/cpus/2009/09/08/intel-core-i5-and-i7-lynnfield-cpu-review/6

core i5:

native quad core
larger cache
hyper threading
turbo boost
virtualization
on-die memory controller
takes around 40W less power when compared to core i7

and if take GPU into account, you will get HD5850 and HD5770 for a lower price tag and you can transfer that amount that you saved by not buying them now into processor and/or RAM, whose prices will also come down.

you asked for advice and I put my money on new h/w. your call!!!
-----------------------------------------
Posted again:
-----------------------------------------
also do note that the core i5 was compared to Q9550 and higher level quad cores and they were beaten by core i5 easily. considering that, imagine how much faster it will be when compared to Q9450

Last edited:

spikygv

Wise Old Owl
^^ Thanks again for the quick reply.

I am not at all questioning the ability of core i5. its all too fantastic. but will it affect gaming performance ? particularly considering i wont be upping my g-card again and i dont do video / audio encoding. sorry if i am annoying you abt this. Just putting out my ideas. I am more than willing to be corrected.

i5 temps dont seem to be too good.

*www.legitreviews.com/article/1060/5/

its hitting 75C . my old "presshot" P4 doesnt cross 60C with the stock cooler.

Point taken about USB 3. As a matter of fact , i've used usb 1.1 , Yeah , i remember. Took several seconds to transfer one photo from digicam to PC.

Waiting will really be difficult. I am living with my parents right now. I'll probably have to live elsewhere about 2 years from now when begin with my masters. At that point , i'll probably need a lappy.

Well , if you feel so strongly about this being a bad time to upgrade , I'll talk to my dad and get a cheaper config..say a e7500 + hd4850 ?

Last edited:

Krow

Crowman
^Dude, talk to your dad about AMD and show him reviews. If you want we will link the best of them. All places E7500 sucks in front of Phenom II X2 550BE (which is being phased on favour of the Athlon dual cores).

No, the HD 4850 sucks, get the GTS250 512MB GDDR3 instead at same price. Go for AMD and you can upgrade easily too. Tell your Dad that Intel is really slower than AMD at that price point. Try anything to not be ripped off a good PC.

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
I would say get Athlon II X4 620 instead of phenon II 550BE.

If you want something cheap then nothing can beat Athlon II X3 435 which should be Rs. 4K at the time it reaches here.

For GPU get GTS250 instead of HD4850 as suggested by Krow.

spikygv

Wise Old Owl
^Dude, talk to your dad about AMD and show him reviews. If you want we will link the best of them. All places E7500 sucks in front of Phenom II X2 550BE (which is being phased on favour of the Athlon dual cores).

No, the HD 4850 sucks, get the GTS250 512MB GDDR3 instead at same price. Go for AMD and you can upgrade easily too. Tell your Dad that Intel is really slower than AMD at that price point. Try anything to not be ripped off a good PC.

i know what u're saying. 3 of my friends bought the x4 920 a few months back on my advice. all of them were intending to choose C2Q but i prevailed on them to take the AMD.

Thanks a lot for offering to provide links. It means a lot to me.

AFAIK , GTS 250 1GB and radeon 4870 512mb were close with 4870 winning by a small margin. .GTS250 512mb you say ? well , if its even slightly better than radeon 4850 , i'll pick that. . always love lower temps.

I'll talk to my dad but i'm pretty sure he'll be hellbent on getting an intel system.

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!
^^now, if you get E7500, again you will be needing an upgrade sooner or latter and in the end you will end up paying lot more on h/w in 2 to 3 years when compared to going for a quad core lynnfield config now.

anyways, since your dad sticks to Intel and since you are not interested in new h/w, go for the config that you first mentioned. And for GPU, go for GTX260 atleast, which is necessary if you get a FullHD display.

spikygv

Wise Old Owl
UPDATE

I talked to my dad. He says i can get a lappy after 1.5 yrs. budget revised to 30k. he is insistent on intel.
Please suggest me a PC for 30k ( incl UPS , no monitor) which will last me for 1.5years ..
After that , only my pop will use that PC for internet / ppt. i wont use it after 1.5yrs

Thanks again everyone.

itisravishankar

tech master
Intel e7500 - 6k
G31/G41 mobo - 3.5k
Ram - 2x2 gb ddr2 - 3k
HDD - 500GB - 2.5k
GFX - ATI 4850 512 - 7k
Cabinet - CM Elite - 2k
SMPS - Corsair CX400 - 3.2k
DVD Writer- 1.2k
KB+Mouse - .8k