Basic Guide Purchase a New System

Status
Not open for further replies.

Krow

Crowman
See tkin, AFAIK the price of DDR2 RAM has also increased, some people here have bought it for Rs. 1650, while some for 1850! If that is the case, then please go for DDR3 itself.

Else,
Same proccy.
Gigabyte GA-MA785GM-US2H @ 5.5k (Decent board without CF support)
Get a good GPU like Palit 9600GT SONIC edition or 9800GT(I think available for less than 6k)

layzee

■■■■■■
@tkin
Better off with a GeForce 9800GT
+1 for AMD Athlon II X4 620
A decent 2X2GB DDR3 1333MHz value RAM kit may be available for around 4K

tkin

Back to school!!
@tkin
Better off with a GeForce 9800GT
+1 for AMD Athlon II X4 620
A decent 2X2GB DDR3 1333MHz value RAM kit may be available for around 4K
DDR3 RAM won't cut it, so its GB GA----US2H for him, Athlon II 620 will do, 9600GT is his current target, 9800GT will be just out of reach probably.

Xeno

AMD - Aaja Meri Darling
^ mention the full rig specs, mobo, ram , no of drives (HDD and optical)

For a UPS without any hassles in backups, go for 800Va or 1kVa from APC which will supply enough juice and also comes with automatic shutdown software. APC still is the best UPS brand here.

misd

Right off the assembly line
please suggest me a proccy, mb and RAM for an upgrade for around 20k by which i can play HD videos smoothly

Xeno

AMD - Aaja Meri Darling
@misd

Processor :

AMD Phenom II X3 720 (Rs 7,200) OR AMD Athlon II X4 620 (5,400)

Phenom X4 will be a bit out of budget for you. the Tri core X3 will be the best bet for you. Although you might have luck with the AMD Phenom II X2 550 Black Edition (Rs 5,200) Someone on this forum unlocked all the four coreswith the Motherboard mentioned below.

Although you have three choices for processor
1) AMD Phenom II X3 720 BE (7,200)
(Superb performance for the price, and the fourth core maaybe unlocked)

2) AMD Phenom II X2 550 (5,300)
(Possibility to unlock the other two cores and make it into a full X4 Phenom)

3) AMD Athlon II X4 620
(5,400)
(The most value for money quad core processor, but lacks the L3 cache, but its a quad core by default. )

+Motherboard
ASUS M4A785TD-V EVO
(6,900)
(has two Pci-e slot, very good onboard graphics and lots of options to tweak around with)
+ 4GB DDR3 RAM kit (Transcend, Kingston , Corsair) (4,000-5,000)
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Total :- 18-19,000

I am not sure of the RAM prices, they should fall soon but DDR3 is a bit expensive at the moment. They might be cheaper than my estimate. Just be sure that you pick up a 1333Mhz module at least. 1600 and 1800 will be a lot more expensive.

Also do you have a good power supply unit ? ( Like 80+ certified with at least 30amps on the 12v rail ) from Corsair, Coolermaster or Antec ? The motherboard clearly specifies to have at least 300W of guaranteed power.

If not then invest 3,500-4100 more and get the

Coolermaster Real Power Pro 460W (3,500)
OR
Corsair VX450W (4,100-4,200) (you should go for this if your budget permits you)
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Total : 22,000 at most (including a good power supply)

The above config should meet your requirements very suitably :D

Last edited:

itisravishankar

tech master
please suggest me a proccy, mb and RAM for an upgrade for around 20k by which i can play HD videos smoothly

If you can relax your budget a bit, i'd advise you to get this config.

Proccy. Core i5 750 - 10.4k
Mobo- Intel DP55WB- 6.2k
RAM- A decent 2x2 GB kit 1333 Mhz - 5k

Total - 21.6k

This is the absolute minimum for a Nehalem based setup. You won't be overclock your proccy with this mobo much, but i think you won't need to. You won't need to upgrade this system for at least 3-4 years.
-----------------------------------------
Posted again:
-----------------------------------------
^ mention the full rig specs, mobo, ram , no of drives (HDD and optical)

For a UPS without any hassles in backups, go for 800Va or 1kVa from APC which will supply enough juice and also comes with automatic shutdown software. APC still is the best UPS brand here.

APC 800VA is wayyy out of my budget. My college has 24 hrs. electricity with almost no fluctuations. Any cheaper suggestions?

Last edited:

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!
^^ It's better to wait for cheaper ASUS/Gigabyte P55 mobos than buying Intel mobo.

But if the buyer's need is only for playing HD congtent, then a simple Athlon II X4+785G+2GB DDR3 RAM would be more than enough and buyer will be saving atleast 5k as a result.

Xeno

AMD - Aaja Meri Darling
APC 800VA is wayyy out of my budget. My college has 24 hrs. electricity with almost no fluctuations. Any cheaper suggestions?

If that's so then just get the 500VA model from APC , retails at 1,800-1,900.

^^ It's better to wait for cheaper ASUS/Gigabyte P55 mobos than buying Intel mobo.

But if the buyer's need is only for playing HD congtent, then a simple Athlon II X4+785G+2GB DDR3 RAM would be more than enough and buyer will be saving atleast 5k as a result.

^ Hrm yeah, but 2GB RAM wont be enough if he runs Win7 by any chance right ? IF he uses XP then it would be okay, just not sure about Win7

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!
RAM is something that you can add anytime. start it with 2GB. A quad core + 2GB should be good enough. moreover, DDR3 RAM price is still bit high. get 2gig now and get another stick when prices come down a bit.

sakumar79

Technomancer
I am looking for a config (excluding monitor,kb, mouse, ups) for 20k max... Purpose is home machine (audio/video playback, work with pictures, browsing, etc but no gaming) with office work (CAD, programming) also. I have currently selected the following spec:
AMD Phenom X4 X4 - 810 BE 8350
ASUS AMD780G M3A78-EM 4550
Hynix DDR2-800 2+1GB 2500
Seagate SATA-II 250 GB 1900
Sony OEM DVD Writer 1100
Zebronics/iball Cabinet 1200

Total 19600
Please give your comments and suggestions

Thanks in advance
Arun

j1n M@tt

Cyborg Agent
^^Change the proccy and mobo to :
AMD Athlon II X4 620 : 5.6k
Gigabyte or MSI or Biostar 785 chipset mobo.

the rest of the config is ok.

sakumar79

Technomancer
Isnt Black Edition supposed to be better (power efficiency and overclockability wise)? Also, I would prefer to go with ASUS motherboard because it is going to be used in a small city where getting help is difficult and I would prefer to have components made by very reliable companies... Come to think of it, I may even change HDD to WD or Maxtor...

Arun

misd

Right off the assembly line
what about intel config? i want a rig which should be future proof for at least 4-5 years...BTW thank you all for replies

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!
this will be future proof for 20 years atleast:

IBM Roadrunner BladeCenter QS22 :)

@misd, technology is evolving so fast that we can't assure anything that is atleast 4-5yrs future-proof.

for example, a rig bought 3yrs ago will struggle to play High def content now.

anyways, if you really want a 5yr solid rig, get this:

Core i7 i965 Extreme Edition
ASUS Rampage II Extreme
Corsair XMS3 high performance DDR3 kit 3x2GB
EVGA GTX295
rest is your choice :)

Krow

Crowman
Isnt Black Edition supposed to be better (power efficiency and overclockability wise)? Also, I would prefer to go with ASUS motherboard because it is going to be used in a small city where getting help is difficult and I would prefer to have components made by very reliable companies... Come to think of it, I may even change HDD to WD or Maxtor...

Arun
Oc wise, maybe. I won't say better, but easier to OC. AFAIK, some of the highest OC's have come on non BE proccys (P4, was that 8GHz???). Power efficiency has nothing to do with BE and non BE processors again AFAIK. Gigabyte has better after sales service than ASUS and its pretty solid too. Look for Gigabyte GA-MA785GM-US2H @ 5.5k.

IMO, if you can extend your budget, get the
ASUS M4A785TD-V-EVO @ 6.7k
2GB DDR3 1333MHz @ 2.5k
Phenom II X4 810 @ your price or Athlon II X4 620 @ 5.5k
Rest your config. HDD get WD or Seagate or Samsung or Hitachi, no Maxtor as it's owned by Seagate anyway. This is much more future proof.

If outta budget, then:
Biostar TA785GE 128M @ 4.2k OR Gigabyte mobo mentioned in first para
2x2GB DDR2 800MHz @ 2.5-3k
Phenom II X4 810
Rest your config.

sakumar79

Technomancer
@techalomaniac & j1n M@tt: Thanks...

Arun

EDIT: Sudden doubt: X4 - 810 BE is AM3 processor whereas M3A78-EM supports AM2+ and AM2 processors... Does this mean AM3 is supported or not?

Last edited:

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!
add me to struggling seagate HDD users list.

two weeks back my 3yr old 160gig HDD died and last week I got replacement. Today is the first day that I am using and guess what, this one crashed within an hour of usage.

STAY AWAY FROM SEAGATE EVEN IF THEY GIVE YOU FOR FREE.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom