Bandwidth without bandwidth

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

SE><IE

I've got this wierd problem going on, my network connection's status shows that I am consuming loads of bandwidth (both the lights are always ON). This happens even when I have closed my browser and not downloading anything. I use opera and it is currently showing a constant speed (with just one tab) of 3.5 KBps (the plan says 8KBps).
Is there any software available which can tell me which programs are consuming how much bandwidth?
I run on Windows SP2, installed yesternight + Norton sysworks 2003 with latest updates + SpyBot s+d. I ran a through test of spybot and norton antivius but they didn't show any problems.
Another problem is that in the meanwhile my HDD LED glows like there's no tomorrow so I'm sure data is constantly being written.

QwertyManiac

Commander in Chief
C:\DOCUME~1\sexXxie\LOCALS~1\Temp\EPG.exe
O17 - HKLM\System\CCS\Services\Tcpip\..\{D1C12E68-9E21-42DD-B84C-16DED3F2598B}: NameServer = 202.144.13.50,202.144.50.4
O23 - Service: EPG - Sysinternals - www.sysinternals.com - C:\DOCUME~1\sexXxie\LOCALS~1\Temp\EPG.exe

What could these be I dont know what EPG.exe does but the 2nd thing is unnecessary unless you've configured it that way. Rest logfile is clean. Scan with an a/v and an anti-spy.

OP
S

SE><IE

Well... they are the IP addresses of DNS Servers. I've configured my IP manually thats why.

C:\Documents and Settings\sexXxie\Local Settings\Temp\EPG.exe does not exist I checked it manually (with normal and system files unhidden )

Is there any software available which can tell me which programs are consuming how much bandwidth?

QwertyManiac

Commander in Chief
Hey sorry, forgot to mention that you are not running a firewall!

A firewall can tell you what's trying to access what and a bandwidth meter can show you how much it takes, the combo should do I think. Go for ZoneAlarm Free Edition, its the best one out there.

OP
S

SE><IE

Now where do I get a free version of zone alarm? The one with this month's digit cd says its free but its actually a 15 day evaluation version.

PS: Got the link to free version

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom