Bad Sectors

Status
Not open for further replies.

acewin

Point Blanc
I did some googling for the issue, to get the info on softwares available other than standard windows scandisk.
*ask-leo.com/how_do_i_fix_a_bad_sector_on_my_hard_drive.html
*www.pcstats.com/articleview.cfm?articleid=1583&page=3

These two links can give you some info about the issue.

But my first question starts with whether this is your primary boot hard disk.
Second how much important data do you have on the hard disk.
One of the state in bad sectors is due to sectors gone curropt permanently and cannot be read. But certainly hard disk hasnt crashed and most parts can be accessed and read properly.

Generally if you have bad sectors and you are running on windows XP, it runs the diagnostic while booting and can even give you "blue screen of death"
When logged on to Windows run chkdsk in command prompt.
This wil tell you if you got any.
then do chkdsk /f /v.
Reboot your system. Now windows will try to repair when it boots.

If you have Norton System Works in it you can get Norton Disk Doctor.
Or in System Mechanic also there is disk doctor.

Other than these there are few other softwares which you can try on your own. After the repair do remember to run defragmentation of the hard disk.

ajayashish

Living to Succeed
My question is can bad sector be removed completly from a HDD... i believe that is a physical damage...

acewin

Point Blanc
well 2 reasons for bad sectors, bad sectors means unusable sectors, this can be that hard disk page has gone corrupt so that part cannot be accessed, This is simple software issue, Hardware issue if worsened certainly means hard disk is crashed.
By the way I am working on my laptop which has got bad sectors too, and I need to fromat my system

DigitalDude

PhotonAttack
bad sector is not a software issue....

it is a hardware issue... even when you format your HDD the OS will just mark the bad sectors and will not access them in the future... but bad sectors cannot be removed... its a physical failure..

if the number of bad sectors increase or worse it happens in your boot sector then your HDD is pwned.. :lol:

_

acewin

Point Blanc
bad sector is not a software issue....

it is a hardware issue... even when you format your HDD the OS will just mark the bad sectors and will not access them in the future... but bad sectors cannot be removed... its a physical failure..

if the number of bad sectors increase or worse it happens in your boot sector then your HDD is pwned.. :lol:

_
true, but people take count of hard disk space decreasing as the the software issue.
And yup new OSes are good enough to mark bad sectors on their own and not use them.

My question is can bad sector be removed completly from a HDD... i believe that is a physical damage...

I guess its impossible to recover physical bad sectors..but theres one commandline based tool called HardDisk Regenerator which claims it can recover most of the physical bas sectors...though it has to be used from a bootable floppy and takes hell lot of time..

OP
G

girishrn

Broken In
Thanks for the reply.
Yes its on primary boot and I moved all the data to other Drive. Bad sectors in on C drive when I found Bad sectors on C drive I install xp and other softwares. Bad sectors is of 1MB

I did some googling for the issue, to get the info on softwares available other than standard windows scandisk.
*ask-leo.com/how_do_i_fix_a_bad_sector_on_my_hard_drive.html
*www.pcstats.com/articleview.cfm?articleid=1583&page=3

These two links can give you some info about the issue.

But my first question starts with whether this is your primary boot hard disk.
Second how much important data do you have on the hard disk.
One of the state in bad sectors is due to sectors gone curropt permanently and cannot be read. But certainly hard disk hasnt crashed and most parts can be accessed and read properly.

Generally if you have bad sectors and you are running on windows XP, it runs the diagnostic while booting and can even give you "blue screen of death"
When logged on to Windows run chkdsk in command prompt.
This wil tell you if you got any.
then do chkdsk /f /v.
Reboot your system. Now windows will try to repair when it boots.

If you have Norton System Works in it you can get Norton Disk Doctor.
Or in System Mechanic also there is disk doctor.

Other than these there are few other softwares which you can try on your own. After the repair do remember to run defragmentation of the hard disk.

acewin

Point Blanc
certainly some internal damage. not a bad sector may have got ruied check the warranty and goto repair center.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom