Bad sectors...

Blue Ripazah

THE CHOSEN ONE
can any body tell me how to fix bad sectors in os drive i hv tried the windows error check but it fails every time...is there any good software which can repair the bad sector

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
AFAIK, bad sectors can't be removed, rather avoided. and softwares that claim to solve bad sectors instead write 0 bit strings in place of bad sectors so that OS doesn't save any data there. please correct me but thats all i remember about bad sectors from previous posts.

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
can any body tell me how to fix bad sectors in os drive i hv tried the windows error check but it fails every time...is there any good software which can repair the bad sector

every HDD manufacturer have these kind of tools ( in iso images which you need to write on CD to make a bootable cd ) try your HDD manufacturers website ;-)

CA50

Cyborg Agent
AFAIK, bad sectors can't be removed, rather avoided. and softwares that claim to solve bad sectors instead write 0 bit strings in place of bad sectors so that OS doesn't save any data there. please correct me but thats all i remember about bad sectors from previous posts.

Right, bad sectors can't be removed, but they can be remapped.

During remap, the bad sector is marked as inactive and the HDD skip that particular sector in future useage.

Tools like vivard can be used to remap bad sectors

Edit: if your HDD is still in warranty, its better to RMA it then to remap the bad sectors

Zangetsu

I am the master of my Fate.
try these Download HDD Bad Sectors Repair 2.0 Free - A useful tool for HDD repair of bad sectors - Softpedia

OP
Blue Ripazah

Blue Ripazah

THE CHOSEN ONE
Ohk i ll send it for rma if the software didnt work.. ...but can u please tell me how much time will it take to come back ....becoz i have only one hdd and the pc will be shut for the time the hdd is in rma...

CA50

Cyborg Agent
^RMA cannot be exactly predictable as it depends, if they have drives available for replacement.

BTW, what brand is your HDD ?

OP
Blue Ripazah

Blue Ripazah

THE CHOSEN ONE
It's a seagte barcuda 7200rpm 500gb hard disk ...i did some tests thru seatools and it failed the long generic test ....and gave an error i called the service centre in nehru place they said bring your drive along with an anti static bag .and we will get it replaced...the seatools error was "E293CCDC"...can you tell me what this error means...

CA50

Cyborg Agent
^ sorry dude, no idea about the code, but my suggestion - backup and send it for RMA, before it is too late

Top Bottom