BackTrack Reborn - Kali Linux.

ratul

█████████████████
Looks like this year's backtrack iteration will have a huge overhaul, and will no longer be called "Backtrack", but will now be called "Kali Linux", taking inspiration from i think "kaali maa :p"
An excerpt from Backtrack's website:
BackTrack Linux said:
Originally, BackTrack Linux was developed for our personal use but over the past several years, it has grown in popularity far greater than we ever imagined. We still develop BackTrack for ourselves because we use it every day. However, with growth and a huge user base, we have an obligation to ourselves, our users, and the open source community to create the best distribution we possibly can.

With this in mind, about a year ago a bunch of us at Offensive Security started thinking about the future of BackTrack and brainstormed about the features and functionality we’d like to see in the next and future revisions. One of our main topics of conversation was the option of swapping out our custom development environment for a fully fledged Debian-compliant packaging and repository system.

This seemed like a good idea at the time, but little did we know the world of hurt and pain we were getting ourselves into. This single decision concerning the future path of BackTrack brought with it so much power and flexibility that it has changed the face of our distribution.

What’s happened in the past year? We have been quietly developing the necessary infrastructure and laying the foundation for our newest penetration testing distribution as well as building over 300 Debian compliant packages and swearing in 8 different languages. These changes brought with them an incredible amount of work, research and learning but are also leading us down the path to creating the best, and most flexible, penetration testing distribution we have ever built, dubbed “Kali”.

An excerpt from Offsec's website:
Offensive Security said:
It’s been 7 years since we released our first version of BackTrack Linux, and the ride so far has been exhilarating. When the dev team started talking about BackTrack 6 (almost a year ago), each of us put on paper a few “wish list goals” that we each wanted implemented in our “next version”.

It soon became evident to us that with our 4 year old development architecture, we would not be able to achieve all of these new goals without a massive restructure so that’s exactly what we did and “Kali” was born. We’ve also posted a Kali Linux teaser on the BackTrack Linux site – and that’s all we’ll say for now…

How does this affect the Offensive Security courses? Surprisingly enough, with all the new changes we have made in Kali, the user experience remains pretty much the same. Our students should feel little difference between Kali and BackTrack. As usual, with our course upgrades, all alumni will be able to upgrade their course materials for a reduced fee. Students who have enrolled in PWB since the 1st of Jan, 2013 will get an additional discount on the upgrade fee – once a new version of PWB is available, in the next 6 months. Our lab environment will not be changing due to the new BackTrack version. Be patient, we will release more information about Kali once it’s ready…soon.

Official Website: Kali Linux
Documentation: Kali Linux - Penetration Testing Distribution - Documentation
Download: Downloads | Kali Linux

Last edited:

Nanducob

Wise Old Owl
Earlier when it was the BT,there was some motto for it which was in chinese language.Now that its 'Kali Linux' will that be in hindi?:))

OP
ratul

ratul

█████████████████
:) ,Any Idea , for its expected release date ?? Currently using BT5 .

nup, no release date till now, but it's expected this year only.. :p

Earlier when it was the BT,there was some motto for it which was in chinese language.Now that its 'Kali Linux' will that be in hindi?:))

haha, that cracked me up.. :rofl: :razz:
Let's see what's the motto now.. :mrgreen:

OP
ratul

ratul

█████████████████
me using set tools, metasploit, nmap, wifi cracking, and soon going to try sqlmap and stuff for website hacking.. :p

Sudh4r

Fire Lord
^ most WEP are their mobile no :-D:-D. So didn't needed any attacks. Although have to try it once.
Is there any good resources to Metasploit other than The Penetration Tester's Guide.

OP
ratul

ratul

█████████████████
well, i always prefer youtube and other video resouces for guidance.. :p

OP
ratul

ratul

█████████████████
^ I prefer reading than watching . I'll figure it out. :wink:

haha, everyone's preference is different, but i really miss a dedicated video tutorial for backtrack, like i learned linux through CBT Nuggets video tuts, but for backtrack, no complete video tut has been made.. :(

Sudh4r

Fire Lord
^ Yea,True. Preference changes. The main thing in the VIDEO is that they just cover the basics and doesn't provide any in depth idea.

Seems like we have to learn the hard way. :cry:

Hrishi

haha, everyone's preference is different, but i really miss a dedicated video tutorial for backtrack, like i learned linux through CBT Nuggets video tuts, but for backtrack, no complete video tut has been made.. :(

Ratul , if possible can you share the link to Video for Linux you are talking about ??? :)

OP
ratul

ratul

█████████████████
^ Yea,True. Preference changes. The main thing in the VIDEO is that they just cover the basics and doesn't provide any in depth idea.

Seems like we have to learn the hard way. :cry:

yes, that's true, but i find reading way too boring.. :p
haha, well that's why i say that i miss a dedicated backtrack video series, where they could start from scratch, just like the linux vids from CBT Nuggets, you know that the guy in that video even taught us how to minimize or maximize the window, and to the point where he covered all the advanced topics of RHEL exams, those too in depth, now that's from very basic to very advanced linux.. :p

Ratul , if possible can you share the link to Video for Linux you are talking about ??? :)

yup, download from here: CBT Nuggets Linux Video Tutorials

Hrishi

yes, that's true, but i find reading way too boring.. :p
haha, well that's why i say that i miss a dedicated backtrack video series, where they could start from scratch, just like the linux vids from CBT Nuggets, you know that the guy in that video even taught us how to minimize or maximize the window, and to the point where he covered all the advanced topics of RHEL exams, those too in depth, now that's from very basic to very advanced linux.. :p

yup, download from here: CBT Nuggets Linux Video Tutorials

Thanks ratul.

OP
ratul

ratul

█████████████████
ok guys, Kali Linux has been launched now... :hyper:

Official Website: Kali Linux
Documentation: Kali Linux - Penetration Testing Distribution - Documentation
Download: Downloads | Kali Linux

Top Bottom