Avast does not update

insaneYLN

In the zone
I am using Avast Free Antivirus 5 on my system & it is set to update automatically.
About 10 minutes ago, the red-alert box popped up saying that the last attempt to update was unsuccessful.

When i tried to update it manually, i get this message displayed under Update (under Maintenance) -

"Last encountered error:Invalid file signature.Setup will terminate."
Total time: 11s

It also says (after the above failed update attempt) -
"Your virus definitions are out of date! Latest virus definitions: 110224-1"

What could be the problem?
:-?

thetechfreak

Legend Never Ends
@ico 59 mb! Its huge.

Incase the op wants to upgrade. Get it here-
Download Avast! Free Antivirus 6.0.1000 - FileHippo.com

OP
I

insaneYLN

In the zone
Avast automatically updated the engine & virus definitions from 110224-0 to 110224-1 at around 11:00 (IST)

But, when it tried to update to the new, latest definitions, some few hours ago, the same dreaded error - "Last encountered error:Invalid file signature.Setup will terminate" appeared.

Now it says - "Your virus definitions are out of date! Latest virus definitions: 110225-0".

My concern is, will this keep happening for every new update of virus definitions.
:???:

What could be going wrong with the update procedure? Is there a remedy for this issue other than upgrading to the latest version of the program (Avast 6)? :confused:

I am very comfortable using Avast Free Antivirus 5 :thumbs:

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
@ico 59 mb! Its huge.

it is not. Avast! Free Edition 6.0.1000: Size: 47.8 MB

the one you included comes with all possible language. so until you are interested in learning those, the link i gave will be better.

Avast automatically updated the engine & virus definitions from 110224-0 to 110224-1 at around 11:00 (IST)

But, when it tried to update to the new, latest definitions, some few hours ago, the same dreaded error - "Last encountered error:Invalid file signature.Setup will terminate" appeared.

Now it says - "Your virus definitions are out of date! Latest virus definitions: 110225-0".

My concern is, will this keep happening for every new update of virus definitions.
:???:

What could be going wrong with the update procedure? Is there a remedy for this issue other than upgrading to the latest version of the program (Avast 6)? :confused:

I am very comfortable using Avast Free Antivirus 5 :thumbs:

update to Avast 6 & check. no use running a old version when new version is out already.

OP
I

insaneYLN

In the zone
Forgive me Friends for not paying heed to your valuable suggestions & upgrading to Avast 6 till now. :ashamed:
But, i will soon do so, waiting for my current registration to expire. :wink:

The dreaded red-alert box has started appearing again. Updates have continued to fail since 6th May 2011.
My current "Update engine and virus definitions" statistics read as follows -
Current version : 110505-1
Release date : 5/5/2011 8:47:07PM

The latest virus definitions are 110508-0

May i ask what is the cause of this problem? Could not find relevant information on Avast's website (forum).
:unsure:

modder

RAMPAGE!!!!
^Try this:
Avast UI>Settings>Updates>Proxy settings (expand)> Select 'Direct connection'

Top Bottom