AV for linux urgent

Status
Not open for further replies.

QwertyManiac

Commander in Chief
Install ClamAV or Avast. I guess the latter offers real-time. But unless you're using this as a server for Windows clients I don't see why you wish to run one?

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
Clamav, Avast are 2 AVs for protecting Windows files in GNU/Linux environment. I doubt if Clamwin has RT protection. But afaik Avast has.

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
Isn't it better to haf realtime protection in the server itself rather than hafing multiple copies on clients? Well.. yes this holds good only if my assumptions of serving windows machine is true!

OP
A

abhijangda

Padawan
I want realtime protection as i will b using it for internet. And avast didn't provide real time protection. i has used it

QwertyManiac

Commander in Chief
abhijangda - Alas, I thought you were much smarter than this when you said "urgent" there... I was wrong. :)

Quit using Linux if you refuse to use it without an AV for that purpose of yours, go back to Windows. You're only losing things here...

abhinandh

Proud to be Linux
I want realtime protection as i will b using it for internet. And avast didn't provide real time protection. i has used it
i thought you were smarter than that on seeing thread title:(

for general internet use linux doesn't need an anti-virus as it has no viruses.

praka123

left this forum longback
*thinkdigit.com/forum/showpost.php?p=817316&postcount=9@abhijangda:
Linux.com :: Note to new Linux users: No antivirus needed

OK?

also read this :
Linux is NOT windows(not another faltoo lecture)
*linux.oneandoneis2.org/LNW.htm

mehulved

18 Till I Die............
Isn't it better to haf realtime protection in the server itself rather than hafing multiple copies on clients? Well.. yes this holds good only if my assumptions of serving windows machine is true!
You are increasing the load on the server manyfold. And if this is the same as the gateway then you are creating a single point of failure. If the anti-virus on the server stops working properly for some reason, you are leaving all the hosts vulnerable at the same time. And again, the anti-virus on the server can only protect you from viruses propagating through the gateway, what about those coming from internal network and removable media?
It is anyday a better idea to go for a dedicated firewall behind the gateway with strict filtering rules and leave anti-viruses to the clients.
Only place I ever see use of anti-virus on linux is on a mail server to filter out virus infected mails. Even then, if it's a high load server then it's better to have anti-virus on a different PC and route the mails through that machine for scanning.

You are looking for this

Last edited:

Faun

Wahahaha~!
Staff member
^^lool :D

Antivirus are for anything except linux/unix. Here am enjoyin a life so cool without any fear of malicous outbreak...tehehehe

praka123

left this forum longback
It is very tough for windows users to believe that there are other superior platforms which is not affected by viruses,spywares,malwares,M$haftwares etc :D :lol:
@abhijangda:Linux,BSD,OS X(mac) etc are UNIX-like systems.
viruses are patented by one fellow in redmond who distributes it to net in packets for his operating system :)

Linux is NOT another windows clone -if you thought like that,there is one "reactos"(google) which may be helpful :D

This link is useful:
*linux.oneandoneis2.org/LNW.htm

reg virus doubts in Linux:
*linuxmafia.com/~rick/faq/index.php?page=virus

abhinandh

Proud to be Linux
hey there are also viruses made for linux
yes there are.but can u show me one linux pc infected with a virus:p(i too haven't seen one, so curious)
but if you want me to show one frm the "other" os i can readily show my own pc.:D

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom