AV for linux urgent

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hitboxx

Juke Box Hero
There is no virus for Linux and if there is, they're just not worth considering, it's that plain and simple. I had a directory in my Linux box which contained some viruses from Windows (dual-boot), and I used to keep trying to open them using WINE, but the buggers couldn't do shite! Every Linux system varies in form and size and it's very difficult to write a virus to infect over a mass quantity.

Atleast, it's a collectors item for us Linuxers :D

OP
A

abhijangda

Padawan
I know there is very difficult to get a linux virus as linux is not used much in the computer but still i want to get protection from those viruses also. If not an av tell me a good linux gui firewall i am using fedora 8.

praka123

left this forum longback
^firestarter.
if you are in kde,use guarddog.

definitely,there is no need for this gui luxuary.for home users,a simple firewall script generated by lokkit is more than enough.
do as follows in terminal:
"sudo apt-get install lokkit"
once installed,run "sudo lokkit" and thats it :)

and reg virus -believe me!Linux virus wont gonna increase with its popularity.this is something in the core of unix systems.we can almost say that they are 100% virus proof except when you login as root :)

First of all,comparing and expecting things in winblow$ will create problems and confusions.
If you'dve read this link,you wont be asking this :D
*linux.oneandoneis2.org/LNW.htm

abhinandh

Proud to be Linux
I know there is very difficult to get a linux virus as linux is not used much in the computer but still i want to get protection from those viruses also. If not an av tell me a good linux gui firewall i am using fedora 8.
come on dude.even humans cant do any thing to linux when logged in as a normal user(if he doesn't know root password that is).forget viruses.;)

Liverpool_fan

Sami Hyypiä, LFC legend
hey there are also viruses made for linux and moreover can you tell me a firewall for linux
There are very few viruses for *nix and they are patched up very quickly. So Do Not Worry.
Essentially you don't need a firewall but for the heck of it you have Firestarter and Guarddog.

come on dude.even humans cant do any thing to linux when logged in as a normal user(if he doesn't know root password that is).forget viruses.;)
:D Yes
But CAN destroy the home folder

Last edited:
F

FilledVoid

I doubt theres a single Linux user in this forum which has an Anti virus running. but if you need real time protection from "Supposed" Virii which "might" infect you then check out AVG and Avast.

There are very few viruses for *nix and they are patched up very quickly. So Do Not Worry.
Essentially you don't need a firewall but for the heck of it you have Firestarter and Guarddog.

If you didn't know Firestarter is the GUI for IPTables which is enabled by default.

Yes
But CAN destroy the home folder
In which case an Anti virus nor a firewall can help you.

gary4gar

GaurishSharma.com
there is absolutely no need.
You are saying that virus exists for Linux, but they are very very hard to find.
not believe me, Try find a Linux virus.

praka123

left this forum longback
@gary:the thing is,the permission system is so strong that it is tough to get infected by viruses.
for eg: if a script with "rm -rf /usr/bin/aplay" as a local user cant do nothing with files in / system.
only thing is tricks like "sudo" which is in ubuntu,which sometimes get some vulnerability resulting in root access.same with elf-32 binary's getting vulnerability.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom