AtiHD4850 vs Nvidia 9800GTX+

Given an option,which of the following cards will you buy?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

mukherjee

Treatment in progress...
Here,lets conduct a poll to see how many of us want which one....theres been a lot of confusion lately as to buy which one...

dOm1naTOr

Wise Old Owl
9800GTX+ is near twice as expensive than a 4850, in India.
But 9800GTX+ leads only by less than 5% better performance.
Considering the extra benefits like DX 10.1, HDMI, single slot, lower power consumption, and extreme vfm of 4850, 9800GTX+ simply doesn't stand a chance.

OP
mukherjee

mukherjee

Treatment in progress...
9800GTX+ is near twice as expensive than a 4850, in India.
But 9800GTX+ leads only by less than 5% better performance.
Considering the extra benefits like DX 10.1, HDMI, single slot, lower power consumption, and extreme vfm of 4850, 9800GTX+ simply doesn't stand a chance.

well....u might be a little mistaken abt the price! ;)
see this: *priceguru.in/archives/news/new-hardware/2115
and this: *www.lynx-india.com/index.php?productID=2244

and this is abt the fabled ati close to metal! :x
*www.tomshardware.com/news/AMD-stream-processor-GPGPU,6072.html

and heres about physx: *www.engadget.com/2008/08/07/nvidia-uncorking-physx-support-for-geforce-cards-on-august-12th/

n deres already a physx beta driver doing the rounds *www.techpowerup.com/67632/NVIDIA_PhysX_Beta_Driver_for_GT200_G92_G96_Cards_Leaked.html even my 8600gt has physx enabled in Win XP!

i am not an nvidia fanboy. see my posts here *www.thinkdigit.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5193&page=189

i really need a concrete buying decision between the two within the next 2 wks...and hence i hv put up this poll.....

nish_higher

Wise Old Owl
the cards are similar and that 5 percent difference can only be practically seen in Crysis due to low frame rates for both.

considering the performance of nforce boards,its better to invest in intel based motherboards and ATi cards coz intel chipsets rock for now.u know what i mean :D

Psychosocial

Violent serenity.
I voted on the basis of performance. 9800GTX+ has slight edge over ATi but ATi is more VFM. It's upto you to choose between performance (only five percent more if you buy 9800GTX+) or VFM. I would buy the 9800GTX+ because that 5% gap can be widened by new games. I am an NVIDIA fanboi too but that dosen't justify why I chose it. :)

ancientrites

In the zone
@threadstarter
if i had 2 buy between these two cards i would go with 9800gtx+ (personally i prefer gtx 280 which i will be buying soon once the price comes down from leadtek)
i have been buying nvidia cards since decades starting with geforce 5 series.I dont care even if amdati is better in terms of vfm or performance.Its not that i dont like ati but its for ages that i have been attached with nvidia brand.
After all nvidia is an elite company so does are its customers like me.just kidding.......

imgame2

Padawan
my point why i would like to go for is this review ...(i know every other website has a different review and opinion but overclockersclub has a decent reputation .)

many people have said that 4850 is not a good overclocker this review proves it wrong

*www.overclockersclub.com/reviews/msi_r4850/

though this review is for msi ...there is palit 4850 sonic(pre-oced version of hd4850) available in market for 11k,which will give a tough time to nvidia gtx 280 card ....leave about 9800gtx+.

if i get performance of that quality of just 11k ....what else do i want ?

Psychosocial

Violent serenity.
my point why i would like to go for is this review ...(i know every other website has a different review and opinion but overclockersclub has a decent reputation .)

many people have said that 4850 is not a good overclocker this review proves it wrong

*www.overclockersclub.com/reviews/msi_r4850/

though this review is for msi ...there is palit 4850 sonic(pre-oced version of hd4850) available in market for 11k,which will give a tough time to nvidia gtx 280 card ....leave about 9800gtx+.

if i get performance of that quality of just 11k ....what else do i want ?

Lol at the point of 4850 giving tough time to GTX280. Even the 4870 pees against the GTX280 ;) Leave alone 4850. I don't intend to start any war, just a notifier :D

imgame2

Padawan
Lol at the point of 4850 giving tough time to GTX280. Even the 4870 pees against the GTX280 ;) Leave alone 4850. I don't intend to start any war, just a notifier :D

well the review says it all itself ...i never said it beats gtx280 ..all i said is its not far behind....when a 11k card catches up(even if its in few games) to 30k card....i wouldn't say 4850 is peeing against gtx280 ....

it was never intended to beat or even compete with gtx280 it was to compete with 8800 gtx /9800 series. but if a card is performing good ...then its good for consumers...and i know it hurts for fanboys.

be my guest and buy gtx280 @30k (or even @25k) to satisfy ego and fanboyism.i m pretty much satisfied with a oced version of 4850..which gives me smooth gameplay,with all high settings which is pretty enough for me.

no one is going to give me a prize if i ran my crysis @60fps with all high settings spending 25k...except it will satisfy my ego amoung few people.

if u want to see what a peeing is ...look at this

*techgage.com/article/palit_radeon_hd_4870_x2_1gb_-_amd_reclaims_gpu_supremacy/1

IronManForever

IronMan; Ready to Roll...
ATi HD 4850. Id better have the hype on my side!! :D

EDIT: BTW Ati should have added physyx support for their cards too. it maynot be that difficult for them, they are the manufacturers and have the driver code, and the cards are pretty powerful!!

Last edited:

Rishu

Searchin A Gamer Config..
Hi... i hav 2 assemble a pc.. under 30k... excluding monitor...
wat would be a gud option amd or intel..
i had been lokin for intel quad n amd quads but still a lot confused????

Rishu

Searchin A Gamer Config..
Hi... i hav 2 assemble a pc.. under 30k... excluding monitor...
wat would be a gud option amd or intel..
i had been lokin for intel quad n amd quads but still a lot confused????

imgame2

Padawan
ATi HD 4850. Id better have the hype on my side!! :D

EDIT: BTW Ati should have added physyx support for their cards too. it maynot be that difficult for them, they are the manufacturers and have the driver code, and the cards are pretty powerful!!

no support for PhysX for Amd cards possible from now on i guess,with the cut throat competition amd has with nvidia PhysX will never be available on ATI.

PhysX is now owned by nVidia, in february 2008 nVidia bought out ageia(the company behind PhysX) and its PhysX engine to incorporate it into CUDA framework.Incidentally ageia's direct competitor Hovoc was acquired by intel and it dropped the project of developing a specialized kit called havoc FX.so now PhysX is the only physics hardware accelerator available.

i guess intel will incorporate it into much hyped larrabee!!

but ATI does have GPGPU though its not as well developed as CUDA,but according to recent news ATI's physics engine support will come from havoc ! yes same havoc which intel acquired and now bringing in its own GPU to compete with ATI and nVidia both....
i don't know how ATI pulled it though !!!

tkin

Back to school!!
I'd go for the 9800GTX+(XFX).As KPower Mania mentioned the 5% performance gap can be widened by many upcoming games.Till date I'v seen most games endorse nVidia(You can see the "nVidia-Way its meant to be played" Logo in many games).

And to Ironmanforever nVidia now owns PhysX as they took over AGEIA so how can you say that ATI could implement PhysX in their cards? They can however go with HAVOC which is similiar to PhysX(I think) but they are not interested in it at this moment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom