AtiHD4850 vs Nvidia 9800GTX+

Given an option,which of the following cards will you buy?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
mukherjee

mukherjee

Treatment in progress...
I'd go for the 9800GTX+(XFX).As KPower Mania mentioned the 5% performance gap can be widened by many upcoming games.Till date I'v seen most games endorse nVidia(You can see the "nVidia-Way its meant to be played" Logo in many games).

And to Ironmanforever nVidia now owns PhysX as they took over AGEIA so how can you say that ATI could implement PhysX in their cards? They can however go with HAVOC which is similiar to PhysX(I think) but they are not interested in it at this moment.

well....who sed that ati cards cant run the "nVidia-Way its meant to be played" games better than nvidia itself?
how many "nVidia-Way its meant to be played" games hv u seen launched in the last year or so?

just becoz they are d green giants..dozent mean d own d field....they r being beaten black n blue by the r700...and the hd4800 series :)

tkin

Back to school!!
well....who sed that ati cards cant run the "nVidia-Way its meant to be played" games better than nvidia itself?
how many "nVidia-Way its meant to be played" games hv u seen launched in the last year or so?

just becoz they are d green giants..dozent mean d own d field....they r being beaten black n blue by the r700...and the hd4800 series :)
Actually what I meant to say is if some upcoming game developers utilize PhysX,CUDA and unfairly support nVidia cards by decreasing performance:mad: on ATI cards what will happen then?

OP
mukherjee

mukherjee

Treatment in progress...
Actually what I meant to say is if some upcoming game developers utilize PhysX,CUDA and unfairly support nVidia cards by decreasing performance:mad: on ATI cards what will happen then?

well, we are going with directx 10.1 now(with ati, nvidia still stuck at 10.0 lollz)...still how many games have we seen on the dx10 platform,leave alone dx10.1? dx9c is still going ga-ga!!

similarly,dont expect dat physx and cuda will jus have applications falling outta the air! will take a yr or more to get them to work....by dat time....amd/ati will have something for the 4800 series on the physics and parallel computing front!

tkin

Back to school!!
well, we are going with directx 10.1 now(with ati, nvidia still stuck at 10.0 lollz)...still how many games have we seen on the dx10 platform,leave alone dx10.1? dx9c is still going ga-ga!!

similarly,dont expect dat physx and cuda will jus have applications falling outta the air! will take a yr or more to get them to work....by dat time....amd/ati will have something for the 4800 series on the physics and parallel computing front!
Chill yaar, looks like you're taking this too seriously.Talking about stuff thats not even properly implied yet(both CUDA-PhysX and ATI parallel physics engine-HAVOC).Things are changing rapidly now.Last year nVidia took the crown, this year ATI and maybe next year Intel will(already has 40% of market share).
The entire reason of this post is to know whether 9800GTX+ will be available in kolkata by October.

OP
mukherjee

mukherjee

Treatment in progress...
Chill yaar, looks like you're taking this too seriously.Talking about stuff thats not even properly implied yet(both CUDA-PhysX and ATI parallel physics engine-HAVOC).Things are changing rapidly now.Last year nVidia took the crown, this year ATI and maybe next year Intel will(already has 40% of market share).
The entire reason of this post is to know whether 9800GTX+ will be available in kolkata by October.

nehi yaar.....kolkata is waaaaay behind mumbai and delhi :(

and btw, wat i m speaking above is wat i came to know frm different tech sites....!!!

tkin

Back to school!!
nehi yaar.....kolkata is waaaaay behind mumbai and delhi :(

and btw, wat i m speaking above is wat i came to know frm different tech sites....!!!
Yeah I know that.But the 8800GT was available here not long after it was launched abroad(my friend got it from Supreme Technologies)

OP
mukherjee

mukherjee

Treatment in progress...
Yeah I know that.But the 8800GT was available here not long after it was launched abroad(my friend got it from Supreme Technologies)

i never buy from supreme....they were gud once.....not now....
i enquired about the 4800 series a week before...then havent even heard of it!!! :shocked:

tkin

Back to school!!
i never buy from supreme....they were gud once.....not now....
i enquired about the 4800 series a week before...then havent even heard of it!!! :shocked:
Well, what according to your opinion is the best Hardware shop in Kolkata then?(not just availability but price and customer satisfaction)

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!

then nvidia and those developers will be facing antitrust lawsuites.

game developers try to use the most of the features that a h/w manufacturer provides.

IronManForever

IronMan; Ready to Roll...
imgame2 said:
my point why i would like to go for is this review ...(i know every other website has a different review and opinion but overclockersclub has a decent reputation .)

many people have said that 4850 is not a good overclocker this review proves it wrong

*www.overclockersclub.com/reviews/msi_r4850/

though this review is for msi ...there is palit 4850 sonic(pre-oced version of hd4850) available in market for 11k,which will give a tough time to nvidia gtx 280 card ....leave about 9800gtx+.

if i get performance of that quality of just 11k ....what else do i want ?

Sorry; my bad. I didnt mean PhysX in its exact sense. I meant that ATi could implement some sort of Physics processing on their GPUs as well.
I Heard rumours that ATi may get rights to use HAVOC? But HAVOC is more of a software based(CPU intensive) physics processing which competed with the erstwhile Aegiea Hardwrae based PhysX. To use HAVOC; I think that ATi will use it's GPGPU technology to offload considerable part of the processing to its graphics card.
I mean Nvidia has an edge over ATi because of their PhysX and CUDA support, this is where ATi has to work upon.

Offtopic: I hate Intel poking their nose into GPU market with Larrabee; after almost a decade of inactivity... I mean this makes the market even worse and Titles hard to choose from becaus eone game will be good on one; other game will be better on other. though it may help in price regulation. :D

imgame2

Padawan
Offtopic: I hate Intel poking their nose into GPU market with Larrabee; after almost a decade of inactivity... I mean this makes the market even worse and Titles hard to choose from becaus eone game will be good on one; other game will be better on other. though it may help in price regulation. :D

personally i feel its a good thing because intel is bringing entirely new concept or approach than the existing one employed by ATI and nVidia ...rather than increasing the transistor count and jumping on new fabrication processes to pump up higher clocks ,which was the trend in last few years.....intel is looking things in a different manner ...making it general purpose GPU which will give a lot of benefit to games designers.

it might do graphics computation and physics computations at the same time,cos its more like CPU than GPU but it can do all a GPU can do.

but having said that all this in theory looks good i hope we can see some great performances in games.then it will break the old shackles.....

tkin

Back to school!!
personally i feel its a good thing because intel is bringing entirely new concept or approach than the existing one employed by ATI and nVidia ...rather than increasing the transistor count and jumping on new fabrication processes to pump up higher clocks ,which was the trend in last few years.....intel is looking things in a different manner ...making it general purpose GPU which will give a lot of benefit to games designers.

it might do graphics computation and physics computations at the same time,cos its more like CPU than GPU but it can do all a GPU can do.

but having said that all this in theory looks good i hope we can see some great performances in games.then it will break the old shackles.....
It will require a lot of processing power. I mean think about a 3GHz C2D/Q and ATI HD4870/nVidia GTX280 in one package, and did I mention a lot of power and really really fast RAM(4GB DDR3 anyone?):D

imgame2

Padawan
It will require a lot of processing power. I mean think about a 3GHz C2D/Q and ATI HD4870/nVidia GTX280 in one package, and did I mention a lot of power and really really fast RAM(4GB DDR3 anyone?):D

yes actually it will do a lot of processing power actually larrabee prototype has 10 cores running @ 1GHz with DDR5 RAM (almost Twice as fast as DDR3)..they have presented a paper on this prototype's performance ....its quite technical but result can be seen here

*www.trustedreviews.com/graphics/review/2008/08/04/Intel-Larrabee--An-Introduction/p5

what is shown about is just a prototype ...real thing is supposed to have 32 cores intially and 48 cores in latter stages...

According to industry sources, Intel is the first version to introduce core Larrabee, 32, the year after a 48-core version of the miniaturization process, scheduled to launch. The 32 core version, derived from 24 core (core to disable the bad version) of the product to be commercialized.

source - *translate.google.com/translate?u=*...s/2007/0611/kaigai364.htm&sl=ja&tl=en|English

this is supposed to come by the mid of next year...if they keep the price/performance ratio better it will be a hit and a headache for nVidia/ATI but ..things are changing fast here ....and if u still think G92 core is not old ....think again ....

hellgate

At Hell's Disq
hey need a new gfx cartd.
currently i own a 8800GTS 320MB and i'm selling it 4 10k.
hav bout 15-20k budget.so which card sud i buy.suggest models that r available in Kolkata.

nish_higher

Wise Old Owl
for now
*www.techenclave.com/dealer-s-paradise/cs-ati-radeon-4870-a-117468.html

just wait for today and watch Lynx-India's price-
4850 for just 9100 (i guess this is what i heard ) + shipping
and 4870 would be cheaper too.. :)
i called him and he told me these prices

IronManForever

IronMan; Ready to Roll...
imgame2 said:

Well Intel's concept hasnt been really convincing to game developers. Intel are optimising their hardware for raytracing whereas the developers are stuck at rasterisation. Developers think that the future lies in usage of raytracing and rasterization both but Intel wants to do away with rasterization altogether. So, unless Intel goes the developers way; we wont be able to see any titles for Intel soon. And in preliminary stages; price/performance ration will be pathetic. :!:

hellgate said:
hey need a new gfx cartd.
currently i own a 8800GTS 320MB and i'm selling it 4 10k.
hav bout 15-20k budget.so which card sud i buy.suggest models that r available in Kolkata.
Man! thats a really great deal. 10 k? Not to crap it all but; who's giving you that? :lol:
Anyways go for HD4870 1GB variant..

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom