ASUS K55VM vs Dell 15R SE

Status
Not open for further replies.

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
Nice comparison dude DELL is good..happy? :p :noob:

this kind of attitude can get you in serious trouble :)

Let OP decided which laptop he wants? a heating laptop or an ice cool laptop :razz:

Asus keeps the palm area cool but the part where the fan lies gets real hot. And this is true for almost all laptops nowadays. Most laptops other than the ultrabooks run cool and have hot patches near the screen area. Also just pick any lappy with a powerful GPU and an Intel proccy, it'll have hot zones registering around 50degree+ temp.

oh, just in case you miss, head over to the laptop related queries thread and check the last page:
I bought Asus K55vm laptop 2 days ago..it has i7 3610QM, 8GB DDR3 and 2GB 630M..My issue is that the games are running fine..tried rage and BF3 at high settings..but 15-20 minutes into the game the laptop shuts down..I guess it's overheating, but it's a brand new laptop(with ICe-cool technology :|)..any solutions...I have ordered a laptop cooler from coolermaster but I want to know any other solutions

this heating issue will be there across most 3rd gen quad core intel based lappy.

OP
D

diablo5789

Broken In
Asus keeps the palm area cool but the part where the fan lies gets real hot. And this is true for almost all laptops nowadays. Most laptops other than the ultrabooks run cool and have hot patches near the screen area. Also just pick any lappy with a powerful GPU and an Intel proccy, it'll have hot zones registering around 50degree+ temp.

oh, just in case you miss, head over to the laptop related queries thread and check the last page:

this heating issue will be there across most 3rd gen quad core intel based lappy.

^Thanks for that Sam. Then i guess Dell is the better option with 3612QM, as it has a lower TDP rating (35W) than the 3610QM in Asus. Agreed performance of 3610QM is better according to benchmarks, but not that big of a difference.

Thanks a lot to everyone else for their inputs. Although it did get a bit wierd in the middle there, didn't intend to spark a debate on which vendor is better, all I wanted was inputs on performance and future proofing.

One last thing that remains is how many DIMM slots does the 4GB 15R have? According to Dell Website it has one 4GB RAM installed. But the 8GB 15R is exactly the same config with just one more 4GB RAM. So does this mean the 4GB version has an empty DIMM slot, or does it have only one slot? If it has an empty slot then i guess I am set to buy the Dell system as i essentially wanted to have 6GB RAM, can add a 2GB one to it easily (4 is too less and 8 too much IMHO :p).

Also what do you guys think about buying 2 year warranty for 4.7k (and 3yr one for 8.7k :shock:)? Is it worth the peace of mind? Or can i get most repairs done for much less without too much of a hassle. I only expect heating issues or battery problems a year down the line.

nipunmaster

MuSiC AnD GaMiNg
I have an ASUS laptop, and I must say that it does not get as hot as a dell machine. Dell have been in this field for years, and they make good laptops, but ASUS is just awesome. Maybe i am too partial for ASUS, but one will not regret buying an ASUS laptop. Yeah the asus screens are not that good, but they are OK. After all, ASUS makes the best motherboards, so thats why we see many threads will ASUS vs etc brands, so the answer should be clear. If you REALLY want a licensed OS, then go for the DELL, but if you want something COOL, i mean really cool, then go for the ASUS. Ofcourse with playing games, it will become hot, but in general usage it will be a lot more comfortable to use on a lap.

And yes, we just cant buy a laptop by just seeing the company, always go for the best VFM machine with the best specs. OP can also try considering other models from ASUS.

OP
D

diablo5789

Broken In
I have an ASUS laptop, and I must say that it does not get as hot as a dell machine. Dell have been in this field for years, and they make good laptops, but ASUS is just awesome. Maybe i am too partial for ASUS, but one will not regret buying an ASUS laptop. Yeah the asus screens are not that good, but they are OK. After all, ASUS makes the best motherboards, so thats why we see many threads will ASUS vs etc brands, so the answer should be clear. If you REALLY want a licensed OS, then go for the DELL, but if you want something COOL, i mean really cool, then go for the ASUS. Ofcourse with playing games, it will become hot, but in general usage it will be a lot more comfortable to use on a lap.

And yes, we just cant buy a laptop by just seeing the company, always go for the best VFM machine with the best specs. OP can also try considering other models from ASUS.

Do you know any ASUS dealers in or around Pune? Actually the K55VM has 630M. That is the only reason stopping me from buying it. And it is only available on flipkart. Asus India website doesn't even have the laptop in its list.

Reaper_vivek

BAN...KAI
it also has a not-so-good CPU, with a 45W TDP...the Dell 15R has a better CPU, 35W TDP..

and I bought it from a local shop @Rs 54000, it just got shipped 3 days ago in India..

RON28

Cyborg Agent
Do you know any ASUS dealers in or around Pune?

Iam from pune too, i contacted Rashi Peripherals, official dealer of ASUS products and they told me to get ASUS laptops from LEE COMPUTERS, at tilak road. or get from BABA COMPUTER MALL opp. LEE COMPUTERS, and don't hesitate to ask for discount. actually tilak road is full of laptop shops :p so you need to spend some energy to get a best deal. but personally i feel LEE COMPUTERS are good :)

OP
D

diablo5789

Broken In
One last thing that remains is how many DIMM slots does the 4GB 15R have? According to Dell Website it has one 4GB RAM installed. But the 8GB 15R is exactly the same config with just one more 4GB RAM. So does this mean the 4GB version has an empty DIMM slot, or does it have only one slot? If it has an empty slot then i guess I am set to buy the Dell system as i essentially wanted to have 6GB RAM, can add a 2GB one to it easily (4 is too less and 8 too much IMHO :p).

Also what do you guys think about buying 2 year warranty for 4.7k (and 3yr one for 8.7k :shock:)? Is it worth the peace of mind? Or can i get most repairs done for much less without too much of a hassle. I only expect heating issues or battery problems a year down the line.

After much deliberation i have decided 15R would give better all round performance. But there is still a month till i buy it so who knows maybe something better will come along in that range :p.
In the mean time can anybody comment on the above?

dashing.sujay

Moving
Staff member
^It must be having, not given on Dell's site explicitly though.

But it is there, as 4*2 config won't be possible in the top model.

RON28

Cyborg Agent
Seriously stop the Sarcasm :evil: Dude if you dont treat people with respect, no one is gonna notice you. Respect the others. They are more experienced forum members.

did i start first? i know they are experienced thats why i registered here to get help, there are many members who helped me here in choosing right products, and i was doing the same, dashing.sujay started first, look even i got the evil looks :evil:

nipunmaster

MuSiC AnD GaMiNg
Do you know any ASUS dealers in or around Pune? Actually the K55VM has 630M. That is the only reason stopping me from buying it. And it is only available on flipkart. Asus India website doesn't even have the laptop in its list.

A contact number of a pune dealer is listed on this site, i also contacted the person in my area from this site, and then he helped me choose the right laptop.

Where To Buy

dashing.sujay

Moving
Staff member
N56VZ will be good contender for high end multimedia cum gaming laptop which N55xx series earlier were. GT650M :twisted:

OP
D

diablo5789

Broken In
Dear diablo5789,

The Asus India website is currently under the process of reincarnation,
I would like to provide you with an official Asus India website link to the Asus K55VM as you mentioned:

ASUS - Notebooks- ASUS K55VM

Also as your interest signifies, I would be glad to let you know the launch of new N56VZ notebook which will be shortly available on the Asus India website as well.

You could register here opting for the desired product and the sales representative will reach to you.

Hope this helps.

AMAZING!!!!!

650M and FHD Display :shock: :mrgreen: :twisted: :-D
Now am gonna wait for this. But it will be quite expensive. Will touch round 70k+ right? :cry:. No matter what i think is a good deal someone always gets something better :p.

Gotta hand it to you though. Good find. This will be better than FHD in 17R (N55VX is 15.6" means more ppi, means sharper image :twisted:, more portability :p ) and cheaper too. :-D

007PM

Right off the assembly line
I have personally purchased Asus K55VM from Nehru Place, Delhi and till now don't have many issues as such. Yes I agree you won't get IPS angles on the display.
Here are the two most important and unbiased opinions on the Asus laptop.
Dell one is a tough contender having the GPU edge and you are requested to choose wisely bro.

Asus India's site provides with the info if you search.

ASUS - Notebooks- ASUS K55VM

Asus K55 review - a thorough test of the Asus K55VM 15.6 inch laptop - YouTube

switch44

Broken In
Hi i've got a small query :
where did you guys find the dell inspirons for those prices. I cannot seem to find anything in that price range online.
Especially the 17r. Also how much additional charges are levied to the prices shown on the dell online page?

And about the Asus how long a warranty do you get?
Do you get the 2 year international warranty as mentioned on the Asus webpage??

fedexp

hi guys.. i am new here.. this is my first post.
I happened to see this thread when I was doing my research bit on Asus n56vm vs Dell Inspiron 15R. Although, this thread has different Asus model listed, I thought I will share my experience.

I was looking for a decent multimedia laptop - my gaming needs are not high, but things like video encoding and other stuff (like the OP mentioned) are my needs. I already own a HP Envy 17 (which I got 2 years ago) for 1500USD. Envy 17 is an amazing laptop except for the heat it generates, so I pretty much had to start worrying about finding a portable 15inch. I first came across this amazon link for Asus N56VM and this indepth review from notebookcheck.net for the same series. I was sold on the review, and the price which was under 900 (and amazon increased it by 50$ to 932). But, then I found Dell Inspiron for 850USD on deals site.

Here's my quick take on these laptops:

DELL:
3rd Generation Intel® Core™ i7-3612QM processor (6M Cache, up to 3.1 GHz)
8GB Dual Channel DDR3 1600MHz
750GB 7200 RPM SATA Hard Drive
AMD Radeon™ HD 7730M 2GB
8X Tray Load CD/DVD Burner (Dual Layer DVD+/-R Drive)
15.6" Full High Definition (1080p) LED Display
Windows 7 Home Premium

ASUS:
Intel Core i7 3610QM 2.3 GHz Processor
6 GB SO-DIMM
750 GB 7200 rpm Hard Drive
15.6-Inch Full-HD LED Screen
Nvidia GT 630M 2GB Graphics
Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit

Notebookcheck.net rates them between 80-85%. ASUS has a marginally brighter display (400cd/m2) vs (300cd/m2) of Dell, almost identical black levels and a slight better contrast ratio (685:533). Other than this, ASUS is on the cooler side on peak load at 40C, while dell heats up to 52C (in some areas). Other than this, I believe, Dell scores over ASUS in all other areas such as total inbuilt RAM, graphics card specs and processor.

I've decided to go with Dell, coz it seems to give me more bang for the buck. I am getting this from USA via a friend who would be carrying it for me. Its a shame that this ASUS model (even the V56NZ series) is not available in India, and even if it were available, it would be a good 10-15k more than the current US market price and it would ship without OS.

Apologies, if you feel that I've hijacked the thread with different model comparison - I wanted to add my experience.

vinner93

guys i am having an issue here.....the dell inspiron 15r se that you guys have been talking about i.e
3rd gen core i7
1tb
2gb
8gb
is around 59k and
the asus one comes at around 52k on flipkart.com
now there is a huge price difference between these two dell is providing 15r tubo with i5 and 4gb ram.
im pretty much confused about what to buy. plz help??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom