Assemble yourself or get it the usual way ?

vwad

In the zone
Hello,

I have not learned anything related to hardware at all. But I see people offering videos regarding how to assemble the PC on youtube. How much reliable these videos are for a total novice like me to follow ?

I mean should I try assembling myself with the help of different videos from YT or will it be better if I go for regular computer hardware engineers doing it for me ?

I want to know regarding this since the feel of making your machine yourself is so amusing but at the same time, I am damn scared of jumpers, ESD and other devils of hardware engineering :scared:

Cool Buddy

Wise Old Owl
Although assembling a simple PC isn't tough, I would suggest not to do it yourself if you haven't seen anyone do it before or have no experience of fixing a RAM on a motherboard. Ideally, people buy their first PC, after sometime they open the cabinet & clean it. Then after a few days they buy a new RAM/HDD & fix it themselves. After a couple of years they open the RAM, power cables to do a thorough cleaning/fixing some errors or for upgrading. Then someday they disassemble their whole PC & assemble it again just for fun. It is at this stage that a person gets the confidence to assemble a new PC himself.

Having said that, these jumpers actually still puzzle me, I bought a 2nd HDD and fixed it with USB just because I didn't know what to with the jumpers. Can anyone please explain!!!

And yes, if you are the risk taking type you can try to assemble with the help of youtube videos. make sure you read the motherboard's instruction manual carefully before assembling. follow the instructions over there about front USB, front Audio & power & reset buttons. if you have any confusion regarding connectors like SATA/processor fan/power connector or PCIe, just keep posting, we'll try to explain with pics.

OP
vwad

vwad

In the zone
Although assembling a simple PC isn't tough, I would suggest not to do it yourself if you haven't seen anyone do it before or have no experience of fixing a RAM on a motherboard. Ideally, people buy their first PC, after sometime they open the cabinet & clean it. Then after a few days they buy a new RAM/HDD & fix it themselves. After a couple of years they open the RAM, power cables to do a thorough cleaning/fixing some errors or for upgrading. Then someday they disassemble their whole PC & assemble it again just for fun. It is at this stage that a person gets the confidence to assemble a new PC himself.

Having said that, these jumpers actually still puzzle me, I bought a 2nd HDD and fixed it with USB just because I didn't know what to with the jumpers. Can anyone please explain!!!

And yes, if you are the risk taking type you can try to assemble with the help of youtube videos. make sure you read the motherboard's instruction manual carefully before assembling. follow the instructions over there about front USB, front Audio & power & reset buttons. if you have any confusion regarding connectors like SATA/processor fan/power connector or PCIe, just keep posting, we'll try to explain with pics.

Thanks. WOW Very exclusive reply. I guess I will go for it. :)

ajai5777

Youngling
Yeah..me too learned like that.Now I assemble PC's for my friends.I use motherboard manual to fix jumpers.

asingh

Aspiring Novelist
Believe me it is awesome to assemble your own system. Gives a real 'high'. It is really not that complicated. I think there are two points where you can go wrong. If you dock the CPU incorrectly (damaged pins), and if you plug in an EPS 12V 4 PIN into a 6 PIN PEG connector or vice-versa since they are grooved quite similar. Everything else, cannot JUST fit in incorrectly. All the parts / connectors (RAM/GPU/SATA connectors, ATX 20+4 pin, molex, HDD power connectors) are grooved so you cannot force fit. All mother boards come with a detailed manual / schematics which help a lot. Basically have an open net connection when assembling, keep the manual open, lots of patience and you should be fine. First time around it took me like 10-12 hours to assemble mine, but was worth it. Yes, the HDD light, on/off/reset jumpers are 'slightly' complicated, but the mother board diagram examples it perfect. if you can read and comprehend assembling is fun. Why pay the local idiots to do it, I would never trust them with expensive equipment. Honestly they know jack about what they are doing, plus they rough-handle the equipment.

Let me know if you are interested, can write up a detailed guide.

OP
vwad

vwad

In the zone
Believe me it is awesome to assemble your own system. Gives a real 'high'. It is really not that complicated. I think there are two points where you can go wrong. If you dock the CPU incorrectly (damaged pins), and if you plug in an EPS 12V 4 PIN into a 6 PIN PEG connector or vice-versa since they are grooved quite similar. Everything else, cannot JUST fit in incorrectly. All the parts / connectors (RAM/GPU/SATA connectors, ATX 20+4 pin, molex, HDD power connectors) are grooved so you cannot force fit. All mother boards come with a detailed manual / schematics which help a lot. Basically have an open net connection when assembling, keep the manual open, lots of patience and you should be fine. First time around it took me like 10-12 hours to assemble mine, but was worth it. Yes, the HDD light, on/off/reset jumpers are 'slightly' complicated, but the mother board diagram examples it perfect. if you can read and comprehend assembling is fun. Why pay the local idiots to do it, I would never trust them with expensive equipment. Honestly they know jack about what they are doing, plus they rough-handle the equipment.

Let me know if you are interested, can write up a detailed guide.

Wow !! That certainly boosted my confidence !! Thanks !! Once I decide, finalise my system, I will let you know, if it is OK with you by PM or else in this thread. Then I will be very grateful if you can arrange a tutorial specific for that.

That brings me to a point, how about an exclusive tutorial all-inclusive sort of by all the stalwarts over here on this subject ?

gagan007

Uhu, Not Gonna Happen!
I completely agree with everyone...I didn't assemble mine becuz I was a noob at comps when I purchased that but then after getting hands-on exp cleaning/upgrading it I got confidence. Assembled couple of systems for my friends...good thing about assembling is you can't do it wrong. just do not force it...you cannot fix the ram wrongly...it won't just fit...same goes for all the wires in the respective ports.it looks like if you are a little careful, everything just seem to "fall" in its own place... :)
it is like USB...you can plug it in one particular way and not the other...

static_x

In the zone
I agree with asigh..why pay anyone when you can do it yourself...just follow the motherboard's manual....as asigh has already said..you need to be careful with the EPS 12V 4 PIN connection..everything else is quite simple...Also installing the processor's fan is little tricky...but for that you can follow the processor's manual and it will guide you how to do that....I would rather suggest you to do it urself...it will not only boost your confidence but also make you feel good....for any further help you can post your queries here so that we can help you...

asingh

Aspiring Novelist
Plus if you have assembled it your self, you always have the computer internals on your mind. You will know what is a weak point/what needs to be worked upon later. The in and out is with you. More control over the hardware. Love it...!

Cool Buddy

Wise Old Owl
oh! that 4 pin connector! gave me nightmares once, I confused it with the CPU fan connector and it took me an hour to figure out why it won't go in. I don't know the names of all those connectors, so I suppose you are talking about the 4 pin part in the motherboard's 24pin power connector.
jumpers come into play only when one has 2 or more HDDs, for a single one, it's fine. And the RAM, yes, it can't go in wrongly, but I feel it doesn't want to go in correctly either. When I start forcing it, I feel the motherboard will break before it falls into place.

I haven't ever assembled a full system but have seen my brother do it. I have plugged in HDDs, RAMs, DVD drives, changed SMPS but haven't ever dealt with the front panel connectors and may be will never do. Coz I hate taking risks & am afraid of damaging things. But I've seen people who are much less afraid than me. For one, my brother would never think twice before opening the cabinet if there was some problem. But with me, first thing that happens is that my heart rate trebles as soon as a problem crops up for which I need to open the cabinet. and that happens often, sometimes PC doesn't boot, some times fan not working, overheating, power button not working etc. etc. I feel relaxed only after I have closed the cabinet & and the PC boots up normally.

For a successful assembly, it's necessary to have a good motherboard with a good instruction manual. Instruction manuals are quite detailed for all manufacturers afaik.

static_x

In the zone
Jumpers come into the scene only when you use the IDE/PATA HDDs and there are no jumpers for the SATA HDDs so thinking about this is out of the question...

The front panel connectors can be easily done by referring the motherboards manual.

One thing that is most important is that you must use some sort of packing between the mobo and the cabby (usually it comes with the cabby). The motherboard should not touch the cabinet when you tighten it using the screws...so watch this before doing anything else...:razz:

asingh

Aspiring Novelist
^^
I thought the motherboard is mounted on the array of spacers. So how will it ever touch the chassis..?

static_x

In the zone
This is the problem with the cheap cabinets...I've faced it while assembling my friends PC...he bought some cheap zebronics cabby @ Rs. 400 and it has no spacers...finally i had to get some plastic spacers to mount the mobo...

borax12

the dotmaster
hey ...its good to see people really care to take interest in custom pc building... asigh said it correctly....it does give u a high....and the added fact that u have the bragging rights to say that this pc was built entirely by you.........Also the advantage and flexibility to choose your own parts gives pc builder a lot of joy.( i know these things have already been said a numerous times before...but it actually make me say this one last time again)...and yeah regarding the confidence levels before assembling your own pc....it sure takes a lot of confidence and yeah to be frank, a lot of know how on connections and pc hardware...but a very easy solution to that is.....watch vids(or read on forums) about new upcoming computer components (specifically the motherboard,cpu,and graphics card,the pc case) and also watch unboxing videos of new hardware like motherboards....or vids of people building new gaming rig or tutorials on building a gaming or simple custom pc and then while watching the video you hear a new term or maybe come across something that sounds weird to you ...just go and google it and then like this you will be on your way to become a geek...a full fledged computer geek....and yeah even i have the time so i can help asigh with the guide on pc building(only if you are interested

OP
vwad

vwad

In the zone
One question to start with.

If I do the assembling, putting the hardware on a wooden teapoy while sitting on a small wooden stool like those used in "Poojas", will I be totally out of threat of ESD problems ?

asingh

Aspiring Novelist
^^
No that is incorrect. The board should never touch a hard surface. Most come with a soft anti static bag, and some soft foam, that should be used. Else it can be put on the bed. Though the only time the board would touch a surface when the HSF is mounted. Post that immediately it should be transferred on top of the spacers. Regarding other stuff RAM/GPU they can be placed on hard surfaces but the golden connectors should always be free. Not even touched by the hand.

@Borax12:
Will send you a rough draft before I post it. We can review it. Thanks for this.

Cool Buddy

Wise Old Owl
One should sit on the floor while assembling a PC, earthing frees us from static. there are some anti static belts available too which you can use although they aren't really necessary.

@asigh
Is it OK to wear rubber gloves while assembling to prevent direct contact with hand?

OP
vwad

vwad

In the zone
^^
No that is incorrect. The board should never touch a hard surface. Most come with a soft anti static bag, and some soft foam, that should be used. Else it can be put on the bed. Though the only time the board would touch a surface when the HSF is mounted. Post that immediately it should be transferred on top of the spacers. Regarding other stuff RAM/GPU they can be placed on hard surfaces but the golden connectors should always be free. Not even touched by the hand.

@Borax12:
Will send you a rough draft before I post it. We can review it. Thanks for this.

One should sit on the floor while assembling a PC, earthing frees us from static. there are some anti static belts available too which you can use although they aren't really necessary.

@asigh
Is it OK to wear rubber gloves while assembling to prevent direct contact with hand?

Thanks a lot bros. :)

Top Bottom