Assemble yourself or get it the usual way ?

asingh

Aspiring Novelist
One should sit on the floor while assembling a PC, earthing frees us from static. there are some anti static belts available too which you can use although they aren't really necessary.

@asigh
Is it OK to wear rubber gloves while assembling to prevent direct contact with hand?

I have never done this. No use being so paranoid. My back would break sitting on the floor working on a computer build.

I also do not wear rubber gloves. Its dead hardware anyways. I just make it a point not to touch any connectivity part on the hardware. Best to discharge all residual current before dismantling -- press the power button for a few seconds with PSU cable removed.

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
Although assembling a simple PC isn't tough, I would suggest not to do it yourself if you haven't seen anyone do it before or have no experience of fixing a RAM on a motherboard. Ideally, people buy their first PC, after sometime they open the cabinet & clean it. Then after a few days they buy a new RAM/HDD & fix it themselves. After a couple of years they open the RAM, power cables to do a thorough cleaning/fixing some errors or for upgrading. Then someday they disassemble their whole PC & assemble it again just for fun. It is at this stage that a person gets the confidence to assemble a new PC himself.

were you explaining my story? :smile:

Having said that, these jumpers actually still puzzle me, I bought a 2nd HDD and fixed it with USB just because I didn't know what to with the jumpers. Can anyone please explain!!!

i got a couple of old buddies near me. they know & understand jumpers. i don't. so take help when need help.

If you dock the CPU incorrectly (damaged pins)

being even least carefully shouldn't trigger this problem. just aligh the golden triangle on proccy to that of mobo. done.

and if you plug in an EPS 12V 4 PIN into a 6 PIN PEG connector or vice-versa since they are grooved quite similar.

asigh, please little explanation here. not able get you at all. & what is PEG connector?

oh! that 4 pin connector! gave me nightmares once, I confused it with the CPU fan connector and it took me an hour to figure out why it won't go in.

isn't the cpu fan connector & the 4pin (proccy power) different? or am i talking about something else?

For one, my brother would never think twice before opening the cabinet if there was some problem.

one similarity between ur brother & me.

^^
I thought the motherboard is mounted on the array of spacers. So how will it ever touch the chassis..?

usually desi cabbies (sub 1.5k) don't have. reason: reduce cost to that of 5kg potatoes.

This is the problem with the cheap cabinets...I've faced it while assembling my friends PC...he bought some cheap zebronics cabby @ Rs. 400 and it has no spacers...finally i had to get some plastic spacers to mount the mobo...

spell it like this: cheap desi = no spacers.

asingh

Aspiring Novelist
^^
The EPS 12V connector which goes near the CPU dock has 4 pins. Now the PEG connector (PCI Express Graphics) connector has 6, but the 4 from EPS 12V can also fit in there. It is very easy to get confused, since both connectors are grooved quite similar.

I have come across cases where people docked the CPU wrong, tried to close the shutter frame, and damaged stuff. So that is why I mentioned it..!

Overall where one has to use their brain the most.

1. Cable management.
2. HDD/start/reset jumpers.
3. External USB connectors.

Rest is quite simple, honestly.

borax12

the dotmaster
hey......the best way to mount hardware or components on to the motherboard is to.....use the anti static bag(these are the polythene like bags in which the motherboard is wrapped around).......place the wooden card board box on the table.....then place the polythene like bag on top of it.......touch the cabinet floors or the motherboard for few seconds (touching components which are to be used ....when placed onto anti static surface ....removes the chances of static discharge....)...i prefer to touch the cabinet floors and /or touch the motherboard surface kept on top of the anti static bag to make yourself grounded.....also the best idea is to first mount the cpu heatsink fan.....then install the memory sticks(RAM)...then mount the motherboard onto the cabinet (mounting screws to be used)...then continue with installation of other components

OP
vwad

vwad

In the zone
^^
The EPS 12V connector which goes near the CPU dock has 4 pins. Now the PEG connector (PCI Express Graphics) connector has 6, but the 4 from EPS 12V can also fit in there. It is very easy to get confused, since both connectors are grooved quite similar.

I have come across cases where people docked the CPU wrong, tried to close the shutter frame, and damaged stuff. So that is why I mentioned it..!

1. Cable management.

Hmm. How good are MSI motherboard's manuals for HDD start reset jumpers ? & External USB connectors means those which we see in front of the cabinets connected to motherboard with cables, am I right ?

hey......the best way to mount hardware or components on to the motherboard is to.....use the anti static bag(these are the polythene like bags in which the motherboard is wrapped around).......place the wooden card board box on the table.....then place the polythene like bag on top of it.......touch the cabinet floors or the motherboard for few seconds (touching components which are to be used ....when placed onto anti static surface ....removes the chances of static discharge....)...i prefer to touch the cabinet floors and /or touch the motherboard surface kept on top of the anti static bag to make yourself grounded.....also the best idea is to first mount the cpu heatsink fan.....then install the memory sticks(RAM)...then mount the motherboard onto the cabinet (mounting screws to be used)...then continue with installation of other components

Thanks. Yes, almost all the videos I have seen follow this sequence. Yeah, that idea against ESD is good, I shall use it. :)

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
^^

1. Cable management.

oh yah thanks. got it now :smile:

add to the list a 3rd option: cabinet speakers. in some mobos theres lot of option & if diagram not accurate/no tags given under the port, it'll cause problem.

Cool Buddy

Wise Old Owl
were you explaining my story? :smile:
That's the story of many people, nice to know you learnt it this way too :)

i got a couple of old buddies near me. they know & understand jumpers. i don't. so take help when need help.

I already got my answer which I already suspected, there are no jumpers on SATA HDDs

isn't the cpu fan connector & the 4pin (proccy power) different? or am i talking about something else?

Yes they are different. In that particular SMPS which I was using, the 24pin connector was split into 20pin and a separate 4pin connector which goes in beside the 20pin. Now the processor fan power is also a 4pin connector. But these 2 pins cannot be plugged in wrongly as they have the cut on different ends. But I plugged in the 20pin connector and picked up the CPU fan connector to plug in beside it. I found it won't go in & was quite puzzled by it. It was long back, around 3 years. I don't know if these connectors have changed recently.

Actually, the thing is, the SATA connector on my mobo or HDD (I can't determine which) is damaged, so if I open my cabinet, the PC stops booting up. That's why I have opened my cabinet just twice in last 1 year and am now forgetting things.

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
Yes they are different. In that particular SMPS which I was using, the 24pin connector was split into 20pin and a separate 4pin connector which goes in beside the 20pin. Now the processor fan power is also a 4pin connector. But these 2 pins cannot be plugged in wrongly as they have the cut on different ends. But I plugged in the 20pin connector and picked up the CPU fan connector to plug in beside it. I found it won't go in & was quite puzzled by it. It was long back, around 3 years. I don't know if these connectors have changed recently.

oh, mine is same but its attached together. 20(white) + 24(light green). and its not fan connector. its the cpu power connector. fan connector is a tiny one. size of jumper or chassis fan connector.

Actually, the thing is, the SATA connector on my mobo or HDD (I can't determine which) is damaged, so if I open my cabinet, the PC stops booting up. That's why I have opened my cabinet just twice in last 1 year and am now forgetting things.

my last cabby (& the friends i referred above) have their cabbies open 24X7 (extra cooling) as we use cheap cabinets & theres no AC in our room. and yes we both use P4.

OP
vwad

vwad

In the zone
Can someone tell abt RC-310 from Cooler Master about the mounting technique of mobo ?

borax12

the dotmaster
hey ..vwad ...the rc 310 uses the same mounting technique as all chassis do.....

with the pc case u will get a set of mounting screws(small little plastic made -raised screws with holes on them ..on the top......then....u gotta open up the chassis....u will see that motherboard mounting plate/tray has small holes on them...this is for motherboard mounting screws....according to your needed size of the motherboard.....(m-atx,atx,e-atx)...screw down those mounting screws onto the tray...the tray has indentations....or labels ...or general imprinted text on them to mark which all holes are representative of atx size screws and so on.....so mount those screws accordingly...then place the 'ready ' motherboard(with the cpu heatsink fan,and ram installed)...and place the motherboard onto the tray...atop these mounting screws.....and then .....(usually found in coolermaster cases)...u are required to further put normal mounting screws into the earlier installed mounting screws...so then voila ...your mobo is installed...

OP
vwad

vwad

In the zone
hey ..vwad ...the rc 310 uses the same mounting technique as all chassis do.....

with the pc case u will get a set of mounting screws(small little plastic made -raised screws with holes on them ..on the top......then....u gotta open up the chassis....u will see that motherboard mounting plate/tray has small holes on them...this is for motherboard mounting screws....according to your needed size of the motherboard.....(m-atx,atx,e-atx)...screw down those mounting screws onto the tray...the tray has indentations....or labels ...or general imprinted text on them to mark which all holes are representative of atx size screws and so on.....so mount those screws accordingly...then place the 'ready ' motherboard(with the cpu heatsink fan,and ram installed)...and place the motherboard onto the tray...atop these mounting screws.....and then .....(usually found in coolermaster cases)...u are required to further put normal mounting screws into the earlier installed mounting screws...so then voila ...your mobo is installed...

WOW Thanks !! :adore:

Cool Buddy

Wise Old Owl
OK, I again got confused with that. So it is the CPU power connector. I thought it supplied power to the HSF.

OP
vwad

vwad

In the zone
OK, I again got confused with that. So it is the CPU power connector. I thought it supplied power to the HSF.

If the Geeks like you are getting confused, then imagine what will happen to me :lol:

---------- Post added at 09:28 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:27 AM ----------

Read this. It is the holy grail of all connectors. Confusion should cease post this.

This looks like the hairs of the DJ :lol:

But very informative, exclusive and all inclusive link :adore:

asingh

Aspiring Novelist
Guys these are the basic connectors TO the board.

1. 20+4 pin ATX
2. EPS 12V 4+4 pin. (Some new boards have 2x 4+4)
3. At times a molex next to the first PCI.E dock for Xfire. (mine has this).

Only above three GIVE power to the board. Nothing else.

That is about it. Rest are all peripherals, which go directly to the component (HDD/DVD ROM/ controllers/GPU.).

You get various fan header pin outs -- these PULL power from the mainboard which is being supplied power via the ATX connector.

borax12

the dotmaster
....newer boards have the direct 8 pin power connector that goes to the top left corner of the board near the mosfets near the cpu area....so no 4+4 ....its just a single 8 pin connector now.......and yeah the molex near the pci x16 is still there coz u need to add that when doing sli or crossfire on higher end card...probably two 5850's.....

asingh

Aspiring Novelist
^^
I meant the 4+4 on the PSU. Even on my board the 4+4 = 8 holes, but we do call it 4+4 right...?

borax12

the dotmaster
yeah ...in a way we can but to sound more official eh!!!.....anyways this 4+4 is actually called the 8 pin .......the earlier 12 v rails had the pin connector as a 4 pin connector ...but in a matter of time board came with newer more power requirement so the 4 pin moved on to become the 8 pin power connector so PSU's started to ship with the dual 4 pin connector...(in a similar fashion as the mobo's do 20+4 connector instead of the direct 24 pin)....so ...though u can call the connector as anything u wish...but i feel usage of correct terms is better....no offense meant ....ehh!!

Top Bottom