Status
Not open for further replies.

windchimes

Can you hear it..??
I am incharge of shaping a new site for my organisation. As
someone not so sure on behind the details I wish to know
whether I should suggest PHP or ASP. Heard PHP is faster as well
as more flexible .

Wish to know the pros and cons and expert opinion.

toofan

Technomancer
Go for PHP you heard right. and if you can go a bit down you can find a similar thread.

victor_rambo

हॉर्न ओके प्लीज़
1. Since PHP is free, you can save money on hosting. PHP works great with MySQL-a free database server.
2. There are many free and open source packages like Joomla, Wordpress, Wiki that are available for PHP, MySQL. Those powered by ASP/MSSQL will cost you good money.
3. This is just what I think, may not be true: That you can find a PHP developer more easily than a ASP developer. This may just be theoretical.

So, when you finally decide, don't just think about hosting costs. The difference in costs could be peanuts, but you should think more importants about the post-hosting things like software packages, etc.

nikhilpai

Techans
3. This is just what I think, may not be true: That you can find a PHP developer more easily than a ASP developer. This may just be theoretical.

No. This isn't true. For every 10 ASP developers u will find in the market, u will find only 1 PHP developer. Unfortunate but true. I have been searching for good PHP designers in Mumbai for the last couple of months but there are very few of them. ASP developers are found in every nook & corner.

victor_rambo

हॉर्न ओके प्लीज़
No. This isn't true. For every 10 ASP developers u will find in the market, u will find only 1 PHP developer. Unfortunate but true. I have been searching for good PHP designers in Mumbai for the last couple of months but there are very few of them. ASP developers are found in every nook & corner.
Hmm...btw what do you think about the quality of programming here? Do you yourself have knowledge of programming?

nikhilpai

Techans
Hmm...btw what do you think about the quality of programming here? Do you yourself have knowledge of programming?

No. I am not a programmer myself. I only work a bit around open source PHP programs like Wordpress & phpBB forums.

I have interviewed almost a dozen programmers in the last 2-3 months for my website and the general opinion what I get from the programmers is that open source based PHP programs are a complete no-no for most developers. The reason is that learning it in depth is a still curve and hence customising it according to the customers' needs is a pain.

Their preference is first for ASP.NET and if you insist on PHP then they offer a custom-made PHP website instead of using a open source PHP based website.

My personal preference is for PHP, but then I am not a programmer, so I cannot say that with complete authority.

victor_rambo

हॉर्न ओके प्लीज़
^What type of customization did you ask the? CSS theming or writing additonal codes?

victor_rambo

हॉर्न ओके प्लीज़
hmmm....what exactly was their response? Did he decline at the moment they heard it or after giving it some thought?

nikhilpai

Techans
hmmm....what exactly was their response? Did he decline at the moment they heard it or after giving it some thought?

Most of the times, they accepted to do it initially. But later they came back saying that they would either do it in ASP.NET or in custom PHP.

I have found just one developer who has finally agreed to do it in open source PHP.

victor_rambo

हॉर्न ओके प्लीज़
hmmm...integrating OS modules requires a lot of changes esp in the authentication modules. Right from collecting the cookies, processing them with the database and post-auth functions. It could be a catastrophe for the one who does not have a good going at logic and simplicity!

nikhilpai

Techans
If one has to choose between different OS PHP modules for integration, which combination would u suggest? I need CMS+Forums+Shoppingcart

Would u suggest Joomla+SMF+OSCommerce. Or say Drupal+phpBB+ZenCart. Or any other combination?

victor_rambo

हॉर्न ओके प्लीज़
For a CMS, I will suggest Joomla. mambo too is very similar but joomla code is better I feel.
For forums, go for MyBB. MyBB has recently gone open source(GPL 3, as opposed to their previous proprietery license). MyBB has a great security team. It almost like vB for free.

As for a shopping cart, I have no experience to suggest any.

nikhilpai

Techans
Ok. Thanks !!

Currently I have SMF Forums running on one of my sites. But MyBB does look very interesting.

Let me find if there is a SMF--> MyBB converter available :)

victor_rambo

हॉर्न ओके प्लीज़
Yep, myBB is great, and that is free is like icing on the cake!

Thanks kapsicum, I will try OScommerce out soon!

OP
windchimes

windchimes

Can you hear it..??
No. I am not a programmer myself. I only work a bit around open source PHP programs like Wordpress & phpBB forums.

I have interviewed almost a dozen programmers in the last 2-3 months for my website and the general opinion what I get from the programmers is that open source based PHP programs are a complete no-no for most developers. The reason is that learning it in depth is a still curve and hence customising it according to the customers' needs is a pain.

Their preference is first for ASP.NET and if you insist on PHP then they offer a custom-made PHP website instead of using a open source PHP based website.

My personal preference is for PHP, but then I am not a programmer, so I cannot say that with complete authority.

Nikeel...So finally have you got anyone..?? I wish to get some real good web developers
who has some good aesthetic skills too who can comeup with solutions as per our demands and vision. In the recent past I was working with some guys on ASP.net , but their output
as well as design choices are below average. I had to design the elements for them but since I cant do it for each and everything (but can give the needed inputs) I need guys
who can comeup with quality outputs as per the vision we have...

Any suggestion here...anyone..??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom