Apps safe for uninstall and new app suggestions for brand new Redmi 2 Prime

Hey guys, i bought Redmi 2 Prime recently which is my first Android phone and upon first boot it had 12.36GB free internal space and 1.2GB free ram out of 2GB. It has some apps preinstalled which i would like to know, whether its safe to remove them. Here are the apps,

1) Swiftkey
2) Fleksy
3) Chrome (17 mb)
4) Browser (68 mb)
5) Google drive (13 mb)
6) Gmail (16 mb)
7) Google app (61 mb)
8) Google Pinyin Input (30 mb)
9) Google + (40 mb)
10) Hangouts (19 mb)
11) WPS office (53 mb)
12) Youtube (22mb)

1) I am a noob when it comes to Android. Just want to know which apps i can uninstall and which i shouldn't along with the reason for it, like, will it act as a problem when i access Play store etc if removed.

2) I will be using 2G while browsing, whatsapp-ing and 3G for app downloads, ordering through flipkart etc, so kindly suggest a good browser if you suggest to remove the "Browser app (68 mb)".
(I have a 500mb limit of 3G data and unlimited 2G monthly data plan)

3) Is WPS office a good option for basic editing of office documents as i wont be editing any docs in my mobile apart from making notes.?

4) Also, kindly shed some light on some must have apps that i should definitely install.

Cheers.

TechnoBOY

Padawan
Hey guys, i bought Redmi 2 Prime recently which is my first Android phone and upon first boot it had 12.36GB free internal space and 1.2GB free ram out of 2GB. It has some apps preinstalled which i would like to know, whether its safe to remove them. Here are the apps,

1) Swiftkey
2) Fleksy
3) Chrome (17 mb)
4) Browser (68 mb)
5) Google drive (13 mb)
6) Gmail (16 mb)
7) Google app (61 mb)
9) Google + (40 mb)
10) Hangouts (19 mb)
11) WPS office (53 mb)
12) Youtube (22mb)

1) I am a noob when it comes to Android. Just want to know which apps i can uninstall and which i shouldn't along with the reason for it, like, will it act as a problem when i access Play store etc if removed.

2) I will be using 2G while browsing, whatsapp-ing and 3G for app downloads, ordering through flipkart etc, so kindly suggest a good browser if you suggest to remove the "Browser app (68 mb)".

3) Is WPS office a good option for basic editing of office documents as i wont be editing any docs in my mobile apart from making notes.?

4) Also, kindly shed some light on some must have apps that i should definitely install.

Cheers.
All apps above mentioned can be uninstalled expect Google appbecause you mostly need'em .But i doubt whether you can uninstall your built in browser without rooting.If you want a lightweight browser try Opera mini or UC mini.

SaiyanGoku

kamehameha!!
Root the phone and install Greenify, Better Battery Stats, Xposed Module, ES File Explorer, AppOpsXposed, No Frills CPU Control, Super Backup, SuperBeam, Titanium backup.

And IMO, remove MIUI by flashing AOSP based rom like Paranoid Android, CM12, Slim or Liquidsmooth.

rajesh00

Journeyman

1) Swiftkey
2) Fleksy
3) Chrome (17 mb)
4) Browser (68 mb)
5) Google drive (13 mb)
6) Gmail (16 mb)
7) Google app (61 mb)
9) Google + (40 mb)
10) Hangouts (19 mb)
11) WPS office (53 mb)
12) Youtube (22mb)

Cheers.

You can uninstall if you don't want any of the above. But it doesn't hurt staying as it is,as you have 12GB ROM.

I installed every app i wanted include some games and i still have 10.5GB free space.Redmi 2 prime is pretty clean.You may use those apps later.

Flesky is to change the input method like google or swiftkey or any..
Chrome is more than enough.
I use :
Avast AV,simple and good.
Video player VLC
Music player pre loaded 1 stock or google play music.Also check Musixmatch
i'm running on stock camera but i may try Camera360.

Rest depends on your likes.

OP
R

rakesh-the gilli

Journeyman
All apps above mentioned can be uninstalled expect Google app, because you mostly need them .But i doubt whether you can uninstall your built in browser without rooting.If you want a lightweight browser try Opera mini or UC mini.

Thanks TechnoBOY. I uninstalled everything except 4,6,11 and 12. Yeah, as i have unlimited 2G data plan, Opera Mini's Data compression feature will be useful.

- - - Updated - - -

Root the phone and install Greenify, Better Battery Stats, Xposed Module, ES File Explorer, AppOpsXposed, No Frills CPU Control, Super Backup, SuperBeam, Titanium backup. And IMO, remove MIUI by flashing AOSP based rom like Paranoid Android, CM12, Slim or Liquidsmooth.

Hey Saiyan, it's been a while since i sent an PM, mainly because your PM inbox is full :). Thanks for the suggestions. I would like to share a video on how to root Redmi 2 Prime for other Redmi 2 Prime users.

Here is the link - Rooting Redmi 2 Prime

P.S - Please clear some messages in your PM inbox

- - - Updated - - -

So apart from what Technoboy and Saiyan Goku suggested that includes,

1) Opera Mini
2) Greenify
3) Better Battery Stats
4) Xposed Module
5) ES File Explorer
6) AppOpsXposed
7) No Frills CPU Control
8) Super Backup
9) SuperBeam
10) Titanium backup

Any more app as a must have.? Also, any suggestions on how to maintain the phone lag free, say like using cleaning apps maybe.?

Update : Thanks to sam
11) ShareIt
12) MusixMatch

Last edited:

dashing.sujay

Moving
Staff member
Root the phone and install Greenify, Better Battery Stats, Xposed Module, ES File Explorer, AppOpsXposed, No Frills CPU Control, Super Backup, SuperBeam, Titanium backup.

No Frills CPU Control did not work my Redmi (not sure about the support for MiUI).
[MENTION=6161]rakesh[/MENTION]-the-gilli - Do install Adaway, it's a must.

OP
R

rakesh-the gilli

Journeyman
^ Greenify would ensure you have lag free phone with good battery life.

Noted SaiyanGoku. A bit off topic, i am planning to get this case, Azmer case for Redmi 2 Prime. Will this suffice.?

- - - Updated - - -

No Frills CPU Control did not work my Redmi (not sure about the support for MiUI). Do install Adaway, it's a must.

I will check about No Frills CPU control. I read about AdAway and came to know it doesn't need to be kept running in background as it modifies the host file alone once. Thanks dashing sujay.

- - - Updated - - -

Also, which recovery manager to use.? TWRP or CWM

Last edited:
OP
R

rakesh-the gilli

Journeyman

I rooted and installed CWM recovery. I have installed most of the apps you mentioned except, Better Battery Stats, Xposed Module and AppOpsXposed. Isn't there a free version of Better Battery stats.? It says it costs around Rs.135. Worthy of paying.? Also, in which particular order should i install Xposed Famework modules as there are a lot with such names in Play Store which confuses me.

P.S - using NoFrillsCPU i have the set the Min CPU to 400mhz and Max CPU to 1.094ghz. I won't be gaming, so is this setting okay.?

- - - Updated - - -

No Frills CPU Control did not work my Redmi (not sure about the support for MiUI).

It works. All you have to do is, enable "Prevent changes from other apps" under settings and it works like a charm. And yeah, AdAway works fine too, though MIUI Security app says it found a risk.

Also, the compass worked for the first time after which it just got stuck in "To calibrate move your phone in the motion below". Went through MIUI forums and a lot of people are facing the same. Maybe the 625mb update might solve.? I don't want to lose root access after updating.

SaiyanGoku

kamehameha!!
Get better battery stats from xda

And by xposed module, I meant the xposed framework itself. You can install the modules after installing it.

OP
R

rakesh-the gilli

Journeyman
Get better battery stats from xda. And by xposed module, I meant the xposed framework itself. You can install the modules after installing it.

Got better battery stats from xda. Even Xposed framework apk was not available on Play Store. But i downloaded from their home website. Is it okay to install that way, though unavailable in Play Store (both better battery stats and xposed framework)

Top Bottom