Apple released Safari 4 with windows integration

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pat

Beyond Smart
Apple mentioned some silly things as "Enhanced features of Sarari". I saw just some & closed the page, it wasn't worth reading.

And still you could lie saying "you saw all the features and they are all a rip-off" :rolleyes:

Opera's Speed Dial & Chrome had this long before safari. Even Firefox & IE had these by 3rd party extensions.
You had to "manually" configure the speed dials/walls in chrome. Read the feature list properly and how this is different from opera and chrome's implementation.

Firefox's Awsome bar & Google Chrome's Omnibar.
I am sure you would be sensible enough to understand that we are comparing Safari vs other browsers (and not talking about 3rd party plugins)

Well, ok..U continue...I got a real job to do, right now in office, going on dinner date in night, then buying Tomb Raider Underworld...damn, I have a real life.

What a joke..You spent so much time with this reply and then you say you have a real job to do..

How is this for a joke:

A: Product XYZ sucks..It has copied all features from other products
B: What if I prove that XYZ indeed has some new features
A: How do you get so much time for all this ?
B: Why are you afraid if you are not wrong ?
A: Ok..here I go...Feature 1...Feature 2...Feature 3... <writes a long post for 10 mins>
But you know I have a real job and I have no time..I did this just to save my ass :D

In any case, here are some feature you deliberately/accidently left out:

Enhanced keyboard navigation
Enhanced bookmark search
CoverFlow in History View
Addressbook bookmarks
TopSites is a brilliant feature to have (you mentioned it wrong in your post)
etc. etc. (I really dont have THAT much time ;) )

Faun

Wahahaha~!
Staff member
^^but one can pack all plugins in FF and still its download size will be less than 20MB :p

Pat

Beyond Smart
^^but one can pack all plugins in FF and still its download size will be less than 20MB :p

We are not talking about filesize here. We are discussing features OOTB!

Oh and btw, let me see if GX indeed has a real job and gets time to reply to my post ;)

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
You had to "manually" configure the speed dials/walls in chrome. Read the feature list properly and how this is different from opera and chrome's implementation.

What???? WHAT?????? All the web pages I frequently visit are already there added in Chrome 2.0 automatically, I did nothing. I never even opened the Google Chrome's preference.

I am sure you would be sensible enough to understand that we are comparing Safari vs other browsers (and not talking about 3rd party plugins)
Firefox Awesomebar & Google Chrome's Omnibar are integrated features.
In any case, here are some feature you deliberately/accidently left out:

Enhanced keyboard navigation
Enhanced bookmark search
CoverFlow in History View
Addressbook bookmarks
TopSites is a brilliant feature to have (you mentioned it wrong in your post)
etc. etc. (I really dont have THAT much time ;) )
Enhanced keyboard navigation??? wait...when did Microsoft or Mozilla forgot to provide keyboard based navigation?? ctrl+tab, ctrl+ f4, tab button press to go to next field...they r there in other browsers since even before I started using computers. You call these "new" :D

Book mark search??? Again, Awesomebar, Omnibar already have them.

Coverflow?? Read again, I said it is a good feature. Now I am not going to call 1 feature into 3 features saying Cover flow in History, Coverflow in Bookmarks etc.

Topsites is same as Speed Dial * Google Chrome's implementation. yes it is great, I agree...but its not new & other browsers are already doing it.

Addressbook Bookmarks??? Do you know that in Windows Vista's Contact card Folder, if you have a website address for a particular contact then it shows in your IE 7 bookmarks list too...how is it new?

I agree & admit publically...Pat has pwned me cos I don't have time to argue with him. Since I don't intend to argue...it means I am scared, have no valid points etc. :D

Pat

Beyond Smart
First of all, no work at job today ? or no job at all ? ;)

What???? WHAT?????? All the web pages I frequently visit are already there added in Chrome 2.0 automatically, I did nothing. I never even opened the Google Chrome's preference.

Ok my bad.. Dint know about that one!

Enhanced keyboard navigation??? wait...when did Microsoft or Mozilla forgot to provide keyboard based navigation?? ctrl+tab, ctrl+ f4, tab button press to go to next field...they r there in other browsers since even before I started using computers. You call these "new" :D
Press the Tab key, and Safari jumps to the next password field, pop-up menu, or input field. For increased keyboard control, you can hold down the Option key while tabbing to have Safari skip through every link on the page. And if you press the Return key, Safari opens the highlighted link, letting you “point and click” with just a few keystrokes.
So which browser allows me to tab only between controls/links as and when I want ?
Book mark search??? Again, Awesomebar, Omnibar already have them.
Safari searches your bookmarks for matching URLs, website names, and even website content to find the bookmark you’re looking for.
Which other brower allows bookmark search by "website content" ?

Addressbook Bookmarks??? Do you know that in Windows Vista's Contact card Folder, if you have a website address for a particular contact then it shows in your IE 7 bookmarks list too...how is it new?
Dint know that...

I agree & admit publically...Pat has pwned me cos I don't have time to argue with him. Since I don't intend to argue...it means I am scared, have no valid points etc.
Lol! Man..why you do want to always act so dumb..You are arguing with me since past god-knows how many minutes, but you keep on saying you dont have time. :D

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
First of all, no work at job today ? or no job at all ?

U do understand breaks right? Hey, of topic, what do U do??? Don't bother replying if you are a college kid thinking every one else is a noob compared to you, don't worry even I used to be like you in College days then...just that some people grow up & become WinDudes instead of staying Mac"boys".

So which browser allows me to tab only between controls/links as and when I want ?

Plz plz plz plz plz try it. Every browser supports it:D

Which other brower allows bookmark search by "website content" ?

Firefox, plz plz plz look yourself. Open some website & close it, then again type a word you saw in that webpage & Awesomebar & see if it shows.

Pat

Beyond Smart
U do understand breaks right? Hey, of topic, what do U do??? Don't bother replying if you are a college kid thinking every one else is a noob compared to you, don't worry even I used to be like you in College days then...just that some people grow up & become WinDudes instead of staying Mac"boys".
Are you used to such long breaks ? Or you on a permanent break or something ? ;)
Am I a Macboy or Linboy ? Decide it first...

Oh..wait..If I am defending a linux product, I am a linboy..If I say something positive about a Mac product, I am a Macboy. Right ? :)

Plz plz plz plz plz try it. Every browser supports it:D
Please tell me my "grown-up" friend. How do I tab through "only" links on a web-page (avoiding all text-boxes/buttons along). I seriously dont know if it ever existed.

Firefox, plz plz plz look yourself. Open some website & close it, then again type a word you saw in that webpage & Awesomebar & see if it shows.
Doesnt work..just tried. I closed browser, opened it and typed "gx" ;) but it dint show me any results!

mad1231moody

Journeyman
Hey Pat there maybe features that are new to safari but it doesn't mean that they are the first to provide them. What is wrong is that many features that were already there have been touted to be developed by APPLE for the "First time". Anyways the cover flow feature has always been awesome and it looks good on Safari too.

Pat

Beyond Smart
Hey Pat there maybe features that are new to safari but it doesn't mean that they are the first to provide them. What is wrong is that many features that were already there have been touted to be developed by APPLE for the "First time". Anyways the cover flow feature has always been awesome and it looks good on Safari too.

I know that.No doubt that there is a marketing message behind the feature list (WTH, who does not do it?), but to just claim that ALL features are a rip-off, is not correct. That was my point.

Hitboxx

Juke Box Hero
From the site..
Still the world’s fastest web browser, Safari outraces Firefox, Internet Explorer, and Chrome. On even the most demanding Web 2.0 applications, Safari delivers blazingly fast performance thanks to the industry’s most advanced rendering technologies.
Isn't there a glaring omission of a worthy contender in the claim?

Just looking for some consistency.

krazzy

Techtree Reviewer
Correction. It's 25.5 MB. And that's the Windows version. The Mac version that I downloaded today is actually 31.7 MB.

Pat

Beyond Smart
Correction. It's 25.5 MB. And that's the Windows version. The Mac version that I downloaded today is actually 31.7 MB.

Well, he was talking about FireFox!

From the site..

Isn't there a glaring omission of a worthy contender in the claim?

Just looking for some consistency.

Somebody on this thread posted a link to some benchmarks.
Some more here:

*crave.cnet.co.uk/software/0,39029471,49301219,00.htm
*arstechnica.com/apple/news/2009/02/hands-on-safari-4-beta-fast-mixes-polish-rough-ui-edges.ars

CNET claims: Safari 4 benchmarked: 42x faster than IE 7, 3.5x faster than Firefox 3

Last edited:

hellknight

BSD init pwns System V
^Thank you for noticing.. that somebody was me I think :D

You see all of the three links tell different story.. whom should we believe.. or perhaps i should take a stop watch and figure it out myself.

Last edited:
It sucks man... uses 192 MB RAM in Windows 7 with just 4 tabs open.. and Apple is incorrectly referring that it is the first and the only browser to pass Acid 3 test.. Opera 10 alpha, Midori (Webkit based on Linux) also got 100/100 in Acid 3.

Amusing how you compare it to Midori. Its awesome, but for the random crashes because of it being Beta software :p

OP
Sathish

Sathish

Debian Gnu/Linux User
But watchout zdnet reviews on safari 4.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proving itself a staggering 42 times faster at rendering JavaScript than IE 7, our benchmarks confirm Apple's Safari 4 browser, released in beta Tuesday, is the fastest browser on the planet. In fact, it beat Google's Chrome, Firefox 3, Opera 9.6 and even Mozilla's developmental Minefield browser.
We used the SunSpider suite of JavaScript tests to determine which browser was the quickest, and the Safari 4 beat every browser in terms of speed, on both a PC running Windows XP SP2, and a Mac running OS X 10.6 with all updates applied.

Below are the actual figures if you want to see how all seven browsers scored against each other, but for quick reference we determined on a PC that Safari was a whopping 42 times faster than Internet Explorer 7, just over six times faster than Internet Explorer 8, 3.5 times faster than Firefox 3, and 1.2 times faster than Google Chrome. Here's Safari versus the rest, excluding IE 7:

*i.i.com.com/cnwk.1d/i/zdnn/News/pc_benchmarks1425.jpg

Add IE 7's results to the PC graph and witness the shocking truth. These are results from a PC with a 2.1GHz Intel Core 2 Duo:

1) Safari 4 (Total time: 910ms)
2) Mozilla Minefield 3.2a1 (1,136ms)
3) Google Chrome (1,177ms)
4) Firefox 3 (3,250ms)
5) Opera 9.6 (4,076ms)
6) Internet Explorer 8 (5,839ms)
7) Internet Explorer 7 (39,026ms)

*i.i.com.com/cnwk.1d/i/zdnn/News/pc_benchmarks2425.jpg
On Mac OS X, Safari was four times faster than Firefox 3 and a depressing (for Opera) 7.5 times faster than Opera 9.6.
Results (fastest at the top) on Mac OS X (2GHz Intel Core 2 Duo):

1) Safari 4 (Total time 967ms)
2) Minefield 3.2a1 (969ms)
3) Firefox 3 (3803ms)
4) Opera 9.6 (7322ms)
*i.i.com.com/cnwk.1d/i/zdnn/News/mac_benchmarks1425.jpg

Check out Firefox 3 on ArchLinux with Gears enabled and with the usual set of extentions.
Its ULTIMATE when it comes to speed, stability and features.

And yeah, in above review, see if you have one for Firefox 4 alpha.

IronManForever

IronMan; Ready to Roll...
Betruger said:
We used the SunSpider suite of JavaScript tests to determine which browser was the quickest, and the Safari 4 beat every browser in terms of speed, on both a PC running Windows XP SP2, and a Mac running OS X 10.6 with all updates applied.
Wait, these guys tested it on OS X Snow Leopard? Where's the link?

--------------------

Most of the time, same features are co-operatively used by many with varying success rates of their implementation. It is definitely GOOD that Safari comes with new features, good for people who swear by Safari. Why all this *hoolalala*?

As for me, its just a damn browser. I wont notice any difference over my crappy internet.

Also I do not know why any Windows user should even be concerned.. Safari for Windows just sucks, I know that.

Apple does one hell of a marketing. When people KNOW that they are lying, but still use their products.. Isnt it crystal clear that there must be something in there? Mac lovers know what its all about.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom