Apple released Safari 4 with windows integration

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 26636

Is it just me or doesn't safari hav close & reload/refresh buttons in the toolbar?anyway i uninstalled it as it was taking longer to load pages than firedox in Windows XP.i've tried chrome & opera too but firefox works best for me.my personal choice.

Krazy Bluez

Banned to Spam
Is it just me or doesn't safari hav close & reload/refresh buttons in the toolbar?anyway i uninstalled it as it was taking longer to load pages than firedox in Windows XP.i've tried chrome & opera too but firefox works best for me.my personal choice.

The close button is on the left of the tab not conventionally the right side, when the page loads then the reload button comes ! :p

fabler

Journeyman
alright.. one thing is also missing.. a tab close with middle mouse button which is in FF and IE... also the close button of tab is at very odd place... what you say guys ?

hellknight

BSD init pwns System V
@Metal.. well i was talking that Midori and Safari used to share the same engine under the hood.. but Safari really needs to look at its memory dept.. and it would be nice if they could integrate Adblock for Windows.. i know there is a plugin called Adblock for Safari on Mac OS X.

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!
I am not at all concerned about memory here. I have 2Gb or RAM and I don't mind the memory getting full :)

The Conqueror

Elevating Humanity
I'm eagerly awaiting the final version of Safari 4!
it would be nice if they could integrate Adblock for Windows.. i know there is a plugin called Adblock for Safari on Mac OS X.
If you want adblock but cant find any plugins for your web browser..try Ad Muncher...The best thing is that it works on all browsers and even yahoo messenger!

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!
PS: we try to squeeze every bit of power in CPU and GPU but when it comes to RAM why do we always like to see loads of free RAM even though the app give more functionality(I am not reffering to Safari here)

OP
Sathish

Sathish

Debian Gnu/Linux User
PS: we try to squeeze every bit of power in CPU and GPU but when it comes to RAM why do we always like to see loads of free RAM even though the app give more functionality(I am not reffering to Safari here)

well. those peoples are affected with ramophiopia.. :))

chooza

Journeyman
here you go...:D

Apple mentioned some silly things as "Enhanced features of Sarari". I saw just some & closed the page, it wasn't worth reading. Let me just highlight the new features as shown on Safari Features page. These r features which affect the users, I am not counting the developer centric features like HTML 5 offline etc.

This is a new feature which was there in IE 7 for the first time.

Link prefetching in Firefox, IE, & Opera...already there since a very very long time.

Google Chrome's V8 Engine & Firefox's 3.1 new java script engine came long before Safari's Nitro.

A Good "Show off" feature. But no browser has something like this. Opera has speed dial, Chrome has something similar already though but not like a Cover Flow thing. I agree here, Kudos to Apple for giving something like this in a browser.

Opera's Speed Dial & Chrome had this long before safari. Even Firefox & IE had these by 3rd party extensions.

Firefox's Awsome bar & Google Chrome's Omnibar.

Lolz...this is a feature? Tabs on top is a rip of Chrome. IE had MHTML support since IE 5. :D

Search suggestions r already there since a long time in Firefox & IE.

WTF....Opera 5.0 had this in 2002 long before Apple made Safari....shame on you apple.

Wow....what a gr8 feature (/sarcasm) & it still isn't following the UI Guidelines of Microsoft else they should have been using a UI like Windows Live Mail & IE 8. :D...I wonder, how does Firefox & IE 7 look like on Windows

Well, ok..U continue...I got a real job to do, right now in office, going on dinner date in night, then buying Tomb Raider Underworld...damn, I have a real life.

Good Brother. but of no use as their are many here who dont want any discussion on their feedback. If they say good, everyone must say good. if they say bad, so should others. I had installed it but my fav are again Opera and IE. :)

But watchout zdnet reviews on safari 4.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proving itself a staggering 42 times faster at rendering JavaScript than IE 7, our benchmarks confirm Apple's Safari 4 browser, released in beta Tuesday, is the fastest browser on the planet. In fact, it beat Google's Chrome, Firefox 3, Opera 9.6 and even Mozilla's developmental Minefield browser.
We used the SunSpider suite of JavaScript tests to determine which browser was the quickest, and the Safari 4 beat every browser in terms of speed, on both a PC running Windows XP SP2, and a Mac running OS X 10.6 with all updates applied.

Below are the actual figures if you want to see how all seven browsers scored against each other, but for quick reference we determined on a PC that Safari was a whopping 42 times faster than Internet Explorer 7, just over six times faster than Internet Explorer 8, 3.5 times faster than Firefox 3, and 1.2 times faster than Google Chrome. Here's Safari versus the rest, excluding IE 7:

*i.i.com.com/cnwk.1d/i/zdnn/News/pc_benchmarks1425.jpg

Add IE 7's results to the PC graph and witness the shocking truth. These are results from a PC with a 2.1GHz Intel Core 2 Duo:

1) Safari 4 (Total time: 910ms)
2) Mozilla Minefield 3.2a1 (1,136ms)
3) Google Chrome (1,177ms)
4) Firefox 3 (3,250ms)
5) Opera 9.6 (4,076ms)
6) Internet Explorer 8 (5,839ms)
7) Internet Explorer 7 (39,026ms)

*i.i.com.com/cnwk.1d/i/zdnn/News/pc_benchmarks2425.jpg
On Mac OS X, Safari was four times faster than Firefox 3 and a depressing (for Opera) 7.5 times faster than Opera 9.6.
Results (fastest at the top) on Mac OS X (2GHz Intel Core 2 Duo):

1) Safari 4 (Total time 967ms)
2) Minefield 3.2a1 (969ms)
3) Firefox 3 (3803ms)
4) Opera 9.6 (7322ms)
*i.i.com.com/cnwk.1d/i/zdnn/News/mac_benchmarks1425.jpg

Any one can get the desired results by simple manipulatins and tweaks. They are of No use. They are exactly as Milage of Automobiles in standard conditions. So, dont contribute in increasing page length by posting such graphics.

Last edited:

kaden

Right off the assembly line
Its not beta anymore.Its ready to go and works pretty well .
whatever you should try it though works great but it looks almost just like google chrome .

dr_jimit

Journeyman
Please tell me my "grown-up" friend. How do I tab through "only" links on a web-page (avoiding all text-boxes/buttons along). I seriously dont know if it ever existed.

Well my addition to the debate,,,, acc to my knowledge and personal use, Opera has this feature since long ,
I can browse internet with CONTROL key and four ARROW keys, [ Also there r a lot many of them u can use]

up/down for link navigation
left/right for page previous/next

U can browse internet with just 5 keys situated together on keyboard , use just ur 1 hand and it works like a breezzzzzzz.

Ya, and now i think that whatever said about Apple fans on this thread are true, cos when i first used iMac 24" with safari, internet use was frustrating for me, compared to my favourite Opera---- In my 9 years of experience of internet, i think Opera 9.6 is fastest in Practical day to day usage terms, best user experience.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom