Apple Previews Mac OS X Snow Leopard to Developers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kenshin

meowww meoww
Are there so many programmers still coding their programs in assembly? If they are using even C (the lowest level high-level language), they need not bother so much about the CPU architecture at all (except in very few cases where they absolutely have to embed asm code in C like in certain parts of OS and device drivers).

Those are the most imp cases...even me when codin for any controller use c....but hv to use #asm...where i hv to get things done faster....like eg if i use a delay the compiler may blindly write NOP thousands time...so my throughput goes down, so a loop in assembly is a better option.

PPC arch. has always been poorly exploited. The potential it has is immense. But a lot of things improved for Apple when they moved over to Intel. It was more of a business related decision.

+100
PPC is dead for pcs...its all for embedded systems now..

Last edited:

goobimama

 Macboy
@kenshin: Holy mother of three gorillas! What was that!

@pathiks: Like I care. The numbers of the processor are something like that.

Pathik

Google Bot
@kenshin: Holy mother of three gorillas! What was that!

RISC vs CISC debate!

@pathiks: Like I care. The numbers of the processor are something like that.

You should. It decreases your post's credibility. Looks like you didn't research stuff properly. And yea, increase your post's length if you want to be taken seriously. :p

Thank you, because all the things he said were exactly what I was trying to say and pretty much in those exact words. I’m just glad somebody got through to you. :)

Oh, I can certainly identify with that. :D

Yes, it absolutely can. I disagreed with you that you shouldn’t look at the brand when buying any product but I did not insinuate that you should just look at it either. All I’m saying is that when you set out to purchase a product, branding plays a crucial role, one among many others (user reviews, for example).

I’ll give you an example: I wanted to buy a Bluetooth headset for myself. Given that I have an iPhone and Apple sells a sexy Bluetooth headset that matches the look of the phone, is tiny and comes with a Dock that charges both the iPhone and itself, I thought I would buy it. So I went to the Apple Online Store and read the reviews left by customers and, to my surprise, pretty much every reviewer hated the headset—static issues, no noise cancellation, poor call quality and lack of durability were some of the issues repeatedly mentioned, on Apple’s own online store no less (full credit to them for being honest and not censoring the negative reviews).

So I up and bailed and decided to buy one from Plantronics instead, one that is slightly more expensive than the Apple version, much less attractive (at least from what I could see in the picture) and, the biggest bummer, does not come with a charging station for both itself and the iPhone.

When I said I’m only an Apple fanboy sometimes, this is the sort of thing I was referring to. Yes, money is hardly a factor for me when making purchase decisions. It’s all about quality and that doesn’t necessarily mean that I will always buy Apple products no matter what.
FYKI, Anirudh was much more clear in what he intended to say.
You were praising apple in every other line instead of talking sense.
This is a general forum, not macworld.

Anyway, forget that, I am glad thee made that point about thyself not going by brand name. But millions others don't act sensibly, anb think iPods are the best without considering the quality. Thats what concerns me.
we r back to square 1 that Apple is updating Mac with optimisation & new technologies that Microsoft has already given with Vista.

Apple is simply copying what Vista already gave 2 years back. :D, they r trying to match Microsoft in OS backend department with new technologies which will break compatibility with existing product & drop support for a high end Mac released only 3 years back, but it's a good thing when Apple does it but bad when MS

Talk about double standards. Apple was mocking Vista that because of it people having old computers have to buy new. Now even only 3 year old Apple hardware needs to be thrown away & replaced with new one. Well, Vista ran fine on a 2004 purchased Pentium 4 PCs but Mac OS X Snow Leopard won't :D

run on 2004 purchased high end Mac
Mac and Windows are in different legues. You really can't compare them.
Both are equal though, in abusing power.
But mac is for the rich who care not to spend money.
So apple is justified in all that they are doing.
Windows on the other hand, is forcefully sold with every computer.
Interesting to note that you believe that half of the students and faculty at a university that produced 13 nobel laureates including Dr. Amartya Sen, numerous heads of states, CEOs/CFOs of virtually every big corporation on earth, are 'ignorant' buyers.

Don't get me wrong, I have used Linux extensively. But, choosing a Mac over say a HP laptop wouldn't make me exactly ignorant. It's called a person's choice. This choice costed me less than any competing choice. So, please do learn to respect choices. :)

It'll be a sad day when the chairman of Creative Commons in the UK, a professor at my university, was to be called ignorant; or the world's leading academic on outsourcing to be said not to 'be in his right mind'.
Did I say that ?
@Anirudh

It's not about that, it's about Apple's double standerds. They bashed Vista for breaking compatibility & not running on some old computers but when they r doing the same thing it's all of a sudden justified according to Macboys
look above.
Yeah, because what Microsoft did with Vista and what Apple is doing here is totally the same thing. Marketing your OS as being capable of running on low end hardware (while it’s clearly not) and making deals with your hardware vending partners to stick “Works with Vista” logos on computers that run Vista extremely slowly and hardly even have all the requisite drivers is exactly the same as explicitly and transparently dropping support for a platform they moved away from four years ago (after notifying customers a year in advance, if I may add). Yeah, both are the exact same things and poor ol’ Microsoft has to take an unfair bashing for what is essentially a crappy operating system release (after seven freaking years) that doesn’t work. Totally similar cases.

Not to mention the fact that it’s not like PowerPC users are going to miss anything because Snow Leopard isn’t going to bring in any new consumer level features (except support for Microsoft Exchange). Of course, then you might argue that XP users don’t miss anything either by not upgrading to Vista, and I agree with that, so yeah, that point kinda falls apart. :p

------------------

Also, please note (all of you) that the decision to drop PowerPC hasn’t been finalised yet (though I personally think it has) and, for all we know, it could be supported in the final release of Snow Leopard.

And whatever I’ve said in reply to gx_saurav doesn’t mean that I change my stance on the whole issue—dropping support for PowerPC is indeed too early. They could’ve stalled it to until after 2010.
I m so sorry Arya, I forgot U R unable to use Windows at all due to your computing noobness.

Do I have to remind again that somehow I was able to use Windows Vista better then XP on my old P4 Machine with right deployment, I wonder how I did that & wrote a guide to help everyone. Just cos U failed to use Vista doesn't mean it is bad.

Here in my new office all workstations run XP which I updated to SP3. I asked for a new workstation on day 1 & was given a HP Workstation. People were skeptic about it due to Vista FUD but I told them to use Vista on it with personal assurence that it will work fine & right now after optimising properly, it is running better then XP SP3 on same hardware. Now, everyone wants to work on my PC cos it just works better for same work then XP
ignorant fanboyism.
Haven’t you been paying attention? Because you didn’t do the oh-so-crucial “optimisation”, man. I can suggest at least one optimisation—upgrade to XP (if Windows is the only option, that is). :lol:
more ignorant fanboyism.
LOL! Am I the only one who’s finding the conversation in this thread very amusing? :p
Mujhe bhool gaya kya ?
Thats easy.... You first open a new thread for it. :D
+1 :D

Kenshin

meowww meoww
Thats easy.... You first open a new thread for it. :D
:D

Kenshin, How do you set a delay in assembly without NOOP then?

just use asm flag and write the code...like suppose

MOV CX,ffff
there: DEC CX
JCXZ here
JMP there
here:

if i wud hv said delay_ms(delay in ms)
then the compiler wud hv place lots of NOPs without thinkin ...in that case i wud lose lots of space.

Faun

Wahahaha~!
Staff member
^^are u talking about placing a loop to behave as delay ?
instead of directly using interrupt to delay ?

Offtopic:

You have been cordially invited to join us in the IRC channel :). I see the force is strong with you.
i shall prefer to remain at the dark side :D

IRC and chatting is not my bowl of blood

Last edited:

chandru.in

In the zone
@Kenshin

I accept that a small amount of ASM is required in device programming (not for the scenario you said though). When you write device controllers, you target a very specific hardware platform so it shouldn't be a major issue. If generic system kernels as huge as Linux, BSD and Solaris can be written with very very little ASM in them, any other program can be written so too.

Re-Writing this very small amount of ASM code for different platforms, is not a Herculean task even if it is a RISC CPU. Also, any good programmer in 2008 should have very very little hardware dependent assembly code as C compilers (and cross-compilers) have been ported to almost all available architectures and the need for ASM is very very rare.

So I really see no point in dropping support for a good architecture like PPC in future versions of Mac OS X. But who am I to comment?? Apple and Steve Jobs want to be DIFFERENT.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom