Apple Previews Mac OS X Snow Leopard to Developers

Status
Not open for further replies.
users who don’t even have Macs, let alone ones that run on PowerPC.
Ofcourse there are. I know lots of people who own Xbox 360s and are windows guys. Xbox360, Sony PS3 are both based on PPC architecture in case you didn't know.

PowerPC = 1337 IBM, not Apple.

Performance Optimization With Enhanced RISC
lolz... .this has proved that Macboys r indeed blind. Arya, plz tell this to an owner who paid 4 lakh for a Mac Pro few years back & $ 129 this year for Leopard & then let us know how many teeths U have left :D
:lol:
Dude, you must be kidding. How ignorant can you be. Apple Mac Pro Workstation users don't give a damn to spending money. Don't you even get such a simple fact ? Who else would buy a system like that ? Go study the Mac Buyers Bible written by Steve Jobs and revised by Aayush.

preshit.net

ex3n1us m4x1mus
Ofcourse there are. I know lots of people who own Xbox 360s and are windows guys. Xbox360, Sony PS3 are both based on PPC architecture in case you didn't know.

And those are Macs ?

Let me quote his exact words.

users who don’t even have Macs, let alone ones that run on PowerPC.

which means " ... users who don't even have Macs, let alone Macs that run on PowerPC."

Just trying to make things clearer

And those are Macs ?

Let me quote his exact words.

which means " ... users who don't even have Macs, let alone Macs that run on PowerPC."

Just trying to make things clearer
thanks for clearing that part up a bit.
I thought he was pointing to Saurav's ignorance of the PPC architecture or its (possible) disadvantages.

mail2and

Walking, since 2004.
By the way, Andy is screwed big.

Would be better if you do away with the namecalling, and let me worry about myself. Just to clear up facts, I got a MacBook with Tiger pre-installed with a free 4GB iPod for £599, will get a further £100 off VAT once I leave the UK, got the £5 Leopard upgrade, and have been using it happily ever after. :)

Hopefully, in about a couple of months, I'd be able to afford a lot lot more. :)

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
this is leopard service pack 1

Microsoft showed Longhorn features such as Instant Search, GPU Accelerated UI before Mac OS implemented it, but apple was first to copy & relese them in form of 3 OS. Now when MS is silent about Windows 7, apple has nothing to copy & have paused adding features. lolz

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
this is leopard service pack 1

Microsoft showed Longhorn features such as Instant Search, GPU Accelerated UI before Mac OS implemented it, but apple was first to copy & relese them in form of 3 OS. Now when MS is silent about Windows 7, apple has nothing to copy & have paused adding features. lolz

OP
aryayush

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist

PowerPC = 1337 IBM, not Apple.

Performance Optimization With Enhanced RISC
Dude, what the Hell does that have anything to do with the topic or anything mentioned by anyone in the conversation? Do you just jump into conversations to flaunt how good you can be at scanning through Wikipedia? WTF is wrong with you!

Will this be a new OS X altogether with new GUI,kernel etc. or is it an update to Leapord?
It’s like Leopard was to Tiger. It’s not an update of the GUI, kernel, etc.. Why would that be required? Mac OS X is a fantastic operating system.

It’s an upgrade to Leopard’s core technologies to make it faster and even more stable and secure. They’re overhauling the engine of the car and keeping the exterior unchanged. They’re probably dropping support for PowerPC, the dead platform (when it comes to Macs), and optimising the operating system to perform even better on Macs powered by Intel processors.

In the words of Bertrand Serlett, Apple’s senior vice president of Software Engineering, “We have delivered more than a thousand new features to OS X in just seven years and Snow Leopard lays the foundation for thousands more. In our continued effort to deliver the best user experience, we hit the pause button on new features to focus on perfecting the world’s most advanced operating system.”

You won’t see a lot of new features on the surface but your Mac will run better than it ever has before. Hopefully. :p

FilledVoid

Who stole my Alpaca!
t’s an upgrade to Leopard’s core technologies to make it faster and even more stable and secure. They’re overhauling the engine of the car and keeping the exterior unchanged.
You won’t see a lot of new features on the surface but your Mac will run better than it ever has before. Hopefully.

Hopefully? Are the features documented somewhere? Not the ones to optimize for a certain platform but actual new features which will come to Snow ?

OP
aryayush

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
Well, in the press release above and in the additional documentation given out to developers under the terms of an NDA.

No consumer level new features though.

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
Now when MS is silent about Windows 7, apple has nothing to copy & have paused adding features. lolz
:)) :)) What an observation!!! :D

It’s not an update of the GUI, kernel, etc.. Why would that be required? Mac OS X is a fantastic operating system.
Err.. on what basis do you say that GUI, kernel etc. won't be updated?? To haf GPU acceleration the GUI core components mostly need to be updated... and for all those things to "perfect" Leopard, kernel updates are a must. Every new version of Mac OS X comes with a new kernel.

It’s an upgrade to Leopard’s core technologies to make it faster and even more stable and secure. They’re overhauling the engine of the car and keeping the exterior unchanged. They’re probably dropping support for PowerPC, the dead platform (when it comes to Macs), and optimising the operating system to perform even better on Macs powered by Intel processors.
So that means a definite kernel update. So plz next time you make some "technical" comments, think twice and post correctly.

Dude, what the Hell does that have anything to do with the topic or anything mentioned by anyone in the conversation? Do you just jump into conversations to flaunt how good you can be at scanning through Wikipedia? WTF is wrong with you!
Dude, WTF is wrong with YOU ?
I said PPC is not Mac exclusive.
Hope I made a point.
And no, I don't need Wikipedia for such simple expansions.

And yes, the fact that PPC is not mac exclusive for Home Computers anymore is the reason I guess Apple dropped PPC support. They wanted PPC for "distinction" from Intel PCs. Its such a beautiful architecture compared to x86(64). Infact, SPARC, PPC, Itanium, all are better than "generic" x86.

OP
aryayush

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
Err.. on what basis do you say that GUI, kernel etc. won't be updated?? To haf GPU acceleration the GUI core components mostly need to be updated... and for all those things to "perfect" Leopard, kernel updates are a must. Every new version of Mac OS X comes with a new kernel.

So that means a definite kernel update. So plz next time you make some "technical" comments, think twice and post correctly.
I’m pretty sure his question was basically, “Will there be any big, sweeping changes that will take us by awe?” and my answer to that was in the negative. By saying that there wouldn’t be a GUI update, I meant that Snow Leopard won’t be what Vista was to XP, or even what Leopard was to Tiger. The GUI will look exactly as it does now in Leopard.

Of course, I’ve never tried to hide the fact that I know little about the technological underpinnings of Mac OS X, so it’s not like I was trying to feign having extensive knowledge about it. I was just trying to answer the question using the terminology that he used. I’m pretty sure I got the message across. :)

FilledVoid

Who stole my Alpaca!
Out of curiosity . How much would it cost to make an upgrade of your OS to Snow if it did come out. Im not looking for an exact price of course. Just a guesstimate :). Cause I fail to see why anyone would spend money on a new product where the old platform works just fine. Not to mention that new platform contains nothing perceivable by the consumer itself. I mean,why not buy the OS when it comes out with those thousands of features it plans on using Snow as a foundation? Am I right that this is a new OS and not an update or is this like a service pack. Cause I find it outrageous that someone would charge you for fixes in code due to their lousy coding.

Taking a break from adding new features, Snow Leopard — scheduled to ship in about a year — builds on Leopard’s enormous innovations by delivering a new generation of core software technologies that will streamline Mac OS X, enhance its performance, and set new standards for quality.

Source : *www.apple.com/macosx/snowleopard/
In other words they have nothing new and they intend on charging the customer for providing fixes / optimization or "future innovations" which they will charge you again when they release the next OS after Mac OS X <insert random version>? Sorry if this somehow sounded mean or something. Finally , Just a question to aryayush, its your money I understand that and I definitely understand if you buy it . But may I ask why ? Are the performance gains going to be that huge :| ?

cooldudie3

Boom Boom Boom
So now Apple is giving features Vista already gave in form of DirectX 10, CUDA, Aero, .net 3.0 & Directshow 10 just 4 years late.

Cupertino has many cats, Copycats :D

U need 2GB of RAM to see improvent in Safari's Javascript engine? gosh, firefox 3 is better
man you better watch for your mouth! Apple will come and kill you(joke!)
You need to clear ur thoughts and think positive!
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Back to the thread

Wow! that's nice

OP
aryayush

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
Out of curiosity . How much would it cost to make an upgrade of your OS to Snow if it did come out. Im not looking for an exact price of course. Just a guesstimate :). Cause I fail to see why anyone would spend money on a new product where the old platform works just fine. Not to mention that new platform contains nothing perceivable by the consumer itself. I mean,why not buy the OS when it comes out with those thousands of features it plans on using Snow as a foundation? Am I right that this is a new OS and not an update or is this like a service pack. Cause I find it outrageous that someone would charge you for fixes in code due to their lousy coding.

Source : *www.apple.com/macosx/snowleopard/
In other words they have nothing new and they intend on charging the customer for providing fixes / optimization or "future innovations" which they will charge you again when they release the next OS after Mac OS X <insert random version>? Sorry if this somehow sounded mean or something. Finally , Just a question to aryayush, its your money I understand that and I definitely understand if you buy it . But may I ask why ? Are the performance gains going to be that huge :| ?
First of all, let me tell you that I respect you. I remember your posts in that Mac OS X legality discussion and now this post. krazzy, infra_red_dude and kalpik are other people on this forum who, like you, have a passion for a particular platform but are not crazy zealots (which I admit I can be sometimes). :)

Now, as for your question—yes, I understand why you’re having those doubts. I have them too and so does almost everyone else in the Macverse, including Macworld editors Dan Moren (also my editor), Jason Snell, Rob Griffiths and the like. We’re not sure how much Apple is going to charge for this update or if they are going to charge at all. In the past, when Apple released Mac OS X 10.0, it was a whole new operating system completely different from Mac OS 9, based on a different platform, so it had a slew of bugs and stability issues.

Apple then released Mac OS X 10.1 a year later as a major update (more than a service pack, less than a complete overhaul) that didn’t bring in any fancy new features but added a boatload of improvements all over the system and made Mac OS X usable. It was a free update, but one that people would happily have paid for given the amount of improvements it brought.

Since Apple already set that precedent, there is now the possibility that Snow Leopard might be a free upgrade. However, there’s also the very real (and more likely) possibility that Apple might charge for it, but an amount much less than what they do for a full blown upgrade with major new features ($129). Macworld editors have guestimated that it will be around $30. The Apple of 2002 was much different from the Apple of 2008, so I don’t think a free update is on the cards.

At the end of the day, however, we can only know for sure when Steve Jobs announces it himself. When it’s Apple we are talking about, only what they officially declare is stuff worth believing.

-----------------

The other thing you offhandedly threw in was that it was “lousy coding” on their part. I don’t know whether you have used Mac OS X or not but anyone who has can clearly and categorically state that it’s not the result of lousy coding. Lousy coding does not result in something so terrific.

Snow Leopard is absolutely vital to the further growth of Mac OS X, much like Puma (10.1) was all those years ago. What you might not know is that right now, due to a series of events in the past, Mac OS X has a lot of legacy support—the remains of the classic environment (from the Mac OS 8 and 9 days), support for the PowerPC platform, for apps developed in Carbon as well as Cocoa and, of course, for the Intel platform, both 32 and 64 bit. There might be more legacy code that I’m unaware of.

Now that Mac OS X has established itself as a force to be reckoned with, someone needed to take a bold step and do away with everything that’s holding it back to prepare it for even more drastic enhancements in future. The more you keep clinging to the past, the harder it is to embrace what’s next. I’m sure it will anger a minor group in the Mac community, and Steve Jobs does too, but they think (and I agree) that it’s gotta be done.

I actually wish they would make Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard a fully 64-bit Intel native operating system that only runs Cocoa applications. Sure, it will completely screw things up right now (no Adobe or Microsoft applications) and even my (and Milind’s) Mac won’t be able to run it, but I won’t mind running Leopard for another couple of years. Since Snow Leopard won’t have any feature additions, I won’t be missing much. And by the time the next feature packed release comes along, my Mac will be old enough for us to part ways. I know that’s not on the cards yet but that would’ve meant a much better Mac OS X. :)

Fire away with any more questions you have (though don’t become too technical :p).

Pathik

Google Bot
Heh, Just see him once on IRC and all your respect for Filled Void will evaporate. :D

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom