Any guesses on the name & specs of the ASUS phone. launching this August?

NirmalKartha92916

Digit Brand Team
ASUS's ZenFestival is coming to India this August. The rumour is it that they are doing a global launch of a Zenfone (apart from a bunch of other cool stuff) then, in India.

No one knows much about this phone except for the fact that it's got a pretty insane front camera. What do you think the name's gonna be? Would also be interesting to hear your take on the other specs as well!

Raaabo

The Dark Lord
Staff member
Admin
Nirmal is part of our brand team who works with various brands to give them feedback and the "pulse" of the Digit audience. He and others from the brand team will be here more often from now on, looking for feedback from you guys.

The Digit Forum is considered to be made up of the cream of the technology enthusiasts, or the geekiest geeks, and thus your feedback and opinions are valued.

SaiyanGoku

kamehameha!!
Ok, welcome to digit Nirmal. :)
As for Asus' event, I hope they launch their powerbanks if they haven't yet.
And I don't think front cam matters unless the back cam is bad, which coincidently, was the case with Zenfone 2 despite it being a good performer.

Raaabo

The Dark Lord
Staff member
Admin
So you think these people with front flash and whatnot are wasting their time?

SaiyanGoku

kamehameha!!
Maybe. Its like one of those "trends" where everybody wants to take selfies (some even with stupid facial expression, typically grills), spending 20k+ on phones with insane 8+ MP front cam while they should get their pics clicked by any 20k camera or even a phone like Oneplus One with very capable back cam at the same price.

Nerevarine

Incarnate
yeah, the last time they hyped up with big names like "pixelmaster" camera on their Zenphone 2, directly comparing with Samsung, sony and HTC in specific scenarios but the real world result turned out to be utter crap, the noise and the blurriness in the photos were below average..
maybe they have learnt their lesson for their next launch, only time will tell..

OP
N

NirmalKartha92916

Digit Brand Team
Hmmm, okay. Since the phone is pitched to drastically improve the photography experience, it's likely that they might have learnt from their previous outings. What features do you guys think should ASUS incorporate into its devices to make captured photos look great?

SaiyanGoku

kamehameha!!
If possible, 10-20x optical zoom (external attachment if it can't be incorporated into phone body). Don't run the megapixel race. And 3000 mAh battery atleast.

the.one

In the zone
Asus is supposedly launching these..

Asus to launch Zenfone 2 Deluxe, Selfie and Laser on August 6 - The Times of India

Asus ZenFone Selfie (photos): A quick hands-on with the upcoming selfie phone - IBNLive

Three New Asus Phones To Enter The Indian Market On Aug 6

SaiyanGoku

kamehameha!!
So they went ahead and included the stupid "selfie" word in the name. -_-

I still don't know why this thread is a sticky. -_-

vidhubhushan

Alakh Niranjan
when most of the people of this world are getting obsessed with the word, they must have thought that is the right thing to do.

OP
N

NirmalKartha92916

Digit Brand Team
Is this selfie phenomenon a gimmick or a real trend? Data shows that over a million selfies get clicked everyday. In fact, selfies make up almost 30% of the photos taken by people in the 18-24 age group. As long as there's a degree of narcissism and the desire to "immortalise" ourselves through digitally captured self-portraits, I think this will stay. Releasing a phone explicitly optimised for taking selfies might be just another step in this "trend". What do you guys think?

Anorion

Sith Lord
Staff member
Admin
By "selfie" if it means front camera, sure, it will quickly be used for other things the front camera is good for
there is definitely a demand in the market for a device that this and only this very well
*www.digit.in/forum/buying-advice/192697-cheap-selfy-mobile-under-7k.html

it's not just another "trend", I think it is an important consideration. "Selfies" is just the term used for a need for front camera.

oh and for features, would be good if they just included a mobile lens kit (clip on fish eye, macro, zoom lenses)

"Selfie" is a ''viral'' trend & people think its cooler (it might be convienent but still people do coz it would make them cooler)

I personally don't go with selfies because of image quality ....

One of my friend is obsessed with selfies & wants high quality image from his LG L90, so he learnt to use rear camera for selfies :p
Defies general trend but efficient

Anorion

Sith Lord
Staff member
Admin
think of it as a phone for taking any kind of photos that are good of sharing on social media

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
Selfie right now is a "Hot" trend but many other trends it may go "cold" but having two cameras and both of high quality has it's own advantage which may come handy anytime. As for asus phone any taker for the name " Camera Duos " :D Your Hip Hop security partner let's you have two back eyes on the head ;)

sujoyp

Grand Master
Selfy is current trend...may not be of just your own but its a personal..think of a scenario when you and your wife/gf went somewhere and want to take a pic togather..rather then searching for someone who will take the shot which is inconvinient and definitely without a personal touch, you take a selfy.

That thread which is posted by anorion was started by me..and my mobiles back cam is really good...I have canon S90 and a D7000 as well. but all this cant take a pic when me and my gf are alone...whats the use?

zoom on selfy mobile is useless...i would rather want a 20mm wide and having image stabilisation on front cam.

gagan_kumar

Wise Old Owl
In all honesty, I really think branding Selfie as the main feature of the phone is really a gimmick aimed mainly at tricking customers. Regular Phones coming with 5mp front camera are more than enough to take self pictures and having video conferences, anything above than that is really IMO useless....

Even if people say they have they have wonderful DSLRs and still cant take pic of themselves, they are still forgetting the concept of tripod, which i am sure many people from this forum only have bought.... If you talk about taking self pictures fast, there are limitations like only few people can be there in the selfie for eg if 43 or more people are there you won't be able to include everyone in picture unless you have very long hands....

To summarize the ability to take self picture without asking others help or selfie while being a good added feature shouldn't be the main selling point of any device......

Top Bottom