Antivirus Guide & User Reviews.

ariftwister

Truth Seeker
Re: Antivirus Guide & User Reviews.

have you tried the safe mode? if it fails, then the easiest way is to boot to ubuntu and delete mcafee files on windows folder including folders created by mcafee on system32.

How to boot into in Safe mode in Win 8.1 (I forgot actually).

- - - Updated - - -

1. open task manager -> processes tab
2. right click on any process that may relate to McAfee. click open file location.
3. go back to task manager, right click on that same process -> click Go to service(s)
4. stop that service from right click menu
5. repeat for all other McAfee services
6. delete all the files from file location

Alternate method:
1. install Iobit Unlocker
2. drag and drop mcafee folder into unlocker window
3. check Forced Mode
4. click on down arrow -> Unlock & delete

I already tried 1st Method, when right clicking McAfee's services there's no option clickable..

gonna try alternate method though

- - - Updated - - -

i stopped avast's services using this method 2-3 times,

- - - Updated - - -

Edit: I had also removed Trusted Installer as the owner and one of the administrators of C drive and gave full permissions to my user account and made it the owner, prior to using this method.

Also tried taking ownership of the mcafee folder. Access Denied. Cant take ownership

Vignesh B

Youngling

If you are on a non-UEFi based system, then its by pressing F8 while booting up. Otherwise click on the power button at the Settings charm. Then, press and hold the SHIFT key and click on Restart.
Troubleshoot>Advanced options>Startup settings

rijinpk1

Aspiring Novelist

> press windows+R and type msconfig.
> go to boot option
> click on safe boot save and restart.
you are done. now after completing what ever required in safe mode, open msconfig again and choose normal boot ,again save and restart.

There is a way to bring back the old boot menu in Windows 8.x.

Type this in command prompt with admin privileges- bcdedit /set {default} bootmenupolicy legacy

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
many services depend on drivers & any AV installs at least some drivers in windows folder which needs a special procedure to remove.for future reference almost all major AV companies provide an official removal tool(like the one below from mcafee) which is the best way to uninstall their AV(no need to even use add/remove programs feature of windows).
How to uninstall or reinstall supported McAfee products using the Consumer Products Removal tool (MCPR)

Vignesh B

Youngling
many services depend on drivers & any AV installs at least some drivers in windows folder which needs a special procedure to remove.for future reference almost all major AV companies provide an official removal tool(like the one below from mcafee) which is the best way to uninstall their AV(no need to even use add/remove programs feature of windows).
How to uninstall or reinstall supported McAfee products using the Consumer Products Removal tool (MCPR)
What's the difference between the stand-alone uninstaller and the one in the add/remove programs. Doesn't the add/remove program's uninstaller use the uninstaller provided by the vendor?

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
no.the windows add/remove program feature uses program's in built uninstaller which is supposed to work perfectly in an ideal situation but when it comes to pc & windows real situation is usually different from ideal situation.that is why the stand-alone uninstaller assumes a non-ideal situation & works more aggressively which is why it is always better than using program's in built uninstaller.

ariftwister

Truth Seeker
no.the windows add/remove program feature uses program's in built uninstaller which is supposed to work perfectly in an ideal situation but when it comes to pc & windows real situation is usually different from ideal situation.that is why the stand-alone uninstaller assumes a non-ideal situation & works more aggressively which is why it is always better than using program's in built uninstaller.

The default un install manager didn't work for in, at least in the case of McAfee. When I clicked un install, it showed webpage not available in a window similar to McAfee client. I got no other option.

TheMost

Simply.. Evolution !!
I used to be a big fan of Kaspersky since the times when it made a screeching sound of virus detection :p, but over time, it has gone bit resource taxing.

ESET, avast, Avira are all easy on system, but Avast often lets viruses escape, faced quite a few times. Using ESET since 2009, and very very much satisfied.

+1 for ESET ;)

heamer

Right off the assembly line
AntiVirus Name: Net Protector Antivirus
Free or Paid: Paid
Price in INR [If Paid]:1PC – Rs. 650 (1 Year), 1PC – Rs. 1300 (3 Year)
Protection Type: Total Security (Antivirus + Internet Security)

Ratings out of 5.
User Friendly: 5
Detection Rate:5
Price:5
Overall:5

Recommend to Use: Yes! Yes!! Yes!!!
Comments: Its easy to user & user friendly. Due to its Pune based company its technical support is too good. In the range of Rs. 650/- you get Total Security which sounds interesting.

You can also go for a 15 days trial pack

TheMost

Simply.. Evolution !!

Ratings out of 5.

Comments: Its easy to user & user friendly. Due to its Pune based company its technical support is too good. In the range of Rs. 650/- you get Total Security which sounds interesting.

God ! :shock:
Untitled.png

SaiyanGoku

kamehameha!!

Ratings out of 100.

Corrected :wink:

Last edited:

Zangetsu

I am the master of my Fate.

Ratings out of 5.

Brother of Quick Heal

rijinpk1

Aspiring Novelist

Ratings out of 5.

hiii Net Protector Antivirus REP. welcome to TDF ;) ;)

reddick

Mobile Freak

Hmmm ... As I also want to buy an AV for my laptop , so I want to ask that should I go for Net Protector for Rs. 700/yr. or for Quick Heal which is for Rs. 1K/yr.
I'm a casual internet user and wants to protect my system. No need of heavy and costly AVs :cool:

- - - Updated - - -

AnyOne :?:

rijinpk1

Aspiring Novelist

Hmmm ... As I also want to buy an AV for my laptop , so I want to ask that should I go for Net Protector for Rs. 700/yr. or for Quick Heal which is for Rs. 1K/yr.
I'm a casual internet user and wants to protect my system. No need of heavy and costly AVs :cool:

- - - Updated - - -

try trial versions of kaspersky/bitdefender/eset and selects one which ever suits you. much much better than those specified ones and much cheaper too. check online.

SaiyanGoku

kamehameha!!

- - - Updated - - -

kaspersky and bitdefender are cheaper and better :wink:

also +1 to avast and bitdefender free version.

Top Bottom