Antivirus Guide & User Reviews.

Vignesh B

Youngling
fixed the issue ... it was because of the SDupdatye service was not starting properly but after sometime it stared up properly and update the necessary componenets though have to run this for 3 times but the most funny part is the log file is not showing any such things ... SD needs to improve it's win 8 compatibility.

Now facing one more issue with KS Virus Removal Tool .. the damn thing is throwing up client Registry Error and asking me to reboot into safe mode. It would have been better if it can be used without rebooting windows .. I'm using win 8 x64 version.
A google search revealed that the most probable cause may be due to the incompatibility with Win 8(unless you are using KS version 2013).

dabangg

Right off the assembly line
I visited to Comodo's website to look the features of their free firewall after reading reviews here. Firewall ? Download Free Firewall Software From Comodo
But I was shocked to see that it takes a whopping 400 MB disk space and 152 MB ram. :shock: Is this a joke?:facepalm:
Why does a firewall need that much space? Will it slow down my PC? I am using Windows XP. I have installed malwarebytes antivirus and Emsisoft Mamutu which is an HIPS(I got 1 year licence for free in a giveaway). I need a lightweight and good firewall that does not throw thousands of notifications at me. It will be best if it is silent like the windows firewall. Also, should I install any antivirus on my system? I think that Malwarebytes+Mamutu+Firewall will be enough for me.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
a good AV is always recommended unless you have great trust in your pc skills & technical knowledge(& by that i don't mean the usual but the deep level windows system working,group policies,restrictions,virtualization etc).you can use avast v8 free or avira free.for firewall you can try windows 7 firewall control which basically gives a nice user interface to existing windows firewall.btw if you are behind a modem/router(which most home users are) then you can use the modem/router hardware firewall which is better than any software firewall.

hari1

In the zone
a good AV is always recommended unless you have great trust in your pc skills & technical knowledge(& by that i don't mean the usual but the deep level windows system working,group policies,restrictions,virtualization etc).you can use avast v8 free or avira free.for firewall you can try windows 7 firewall control which basically gives a nice user interface to existing windows firewall.btw if you are behind a modem/router(which most home users are) then you can use the modem/router hardware firewall which is better than any software firewall.

Do I need to setup the router firewall myself or is it automatic? I am using a router given by BSNL for broadband connection. And I don't have the password for the router.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
router firewall default config is automatic.the username & password for modems is usually Admin/Admin & address is 192.168.1.1.the firewall option will be available only if you have your modem setup in pppoe mode in which your bsnl username/password is saved in modem itself & you get connected to net by just turning on the modem.if you dial your connection from pc to get connected then your modem is setup in bridge mode & you can't use its firewall.

Vignesh B

Youngling
Do I need to setup the router firewall myself or is it automatic? I am using a router given by BSNL for broadband connection. And I don't have the password for the router.
As already told by whitestar, it is automatic in case of PPPOE connection.
@whitestar : Do you think the modems provided by BSNL have a firewall in-built in them? I had one modem(Nokia Siemens C2210) provided by BSNL and it it didn't have one. But that was some 4 years ago. I don't know the current models of modems they are providing.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
many bsnl modems/routers have interface similar to tp-link so i am guessing they should have firewall option.even in the case of earlier nokia siemens models options like port forwarding & virtual server were there but hidden by gui but they can still be accessed by entering a specific/correct url in address bar.btw i posted about accessing nokia siemens hidden options in 2008 & to the best of my knowledge it was the 1st time anyone posted about it back then in india broadband forum at that time :)

Vignesh B

Youngling
I want to be careful too.
But don't know exactly how.
I need a guide line.
Using Avast Free at present.
Some points -
1. Don't visit shady websites.
2. Keep your security solution, OS, browsers, apps updated.
3. Avoid clicking "agree," "OK" or "I accept" in banner ads or pop-up windows.
4. Don’t open e-mail from strangers. You wouldn’t let a stranger in your house so do not let them into your computer. Also beware of unexpected e-mail attachments that you are not expecting.
Of course, all the best software in the world can't protect you if you are reckless. Specifically, you should avoid clicking on unsolicited Web links and opening dubious attachments.
Actually, there are plenty of points, I can rant off. I have not even touched the tip of the iceberg. Better do a search in google. There are millions of pages giving tips on how to stay un-infected.
Start of from here and here

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
the most dangerous way to get infected is by so called "drive-by downloads".in this method you just have to visit an infected website which may be a reputable/known site & not shady(bbc radio site was infected in a previous year) & without clicking anything your pc will be infected.this method relies upon windows system vulnerabilities(always install windows security updates as soon as released usually around 12th of every month),java vulnerabilities(unless absolutely needed uninstall java else always run latest java update),flash vulnerabilities(always use latest flash player version),browser vulnerabilities(always use latest browser version) & many of these vulnerabilities also depend on running scripts in web pages so i recommend using firefox with noscript addon with default whitelist config in which i only temporarily allow some scripts to run on a particular website(like those filesharing sites which need captcha to enter,video streaming sites etc).it is a hassle though but after using firefox with noscript for so long i can easily handle it but for newcomers it will be difficult to follow for some time.

meetdilip

Computer Addict
Re: Antivirus Guide & User Reviews.

Try not to use pirated software. Cracks normally have malware.

the most dangerous way to get infected is by so called "drive-by downloads".in this method you just have to visit an infected website which may be a reputable/known site & not shady(bbc radio site was infected in a previous year) & without clicking anything your pc will be infected.this method relies upon windows system vulnerabilities(always install windows security updates as soon as released usually around 12th of every month),java vulnerabilities(unless absolutely needed uninstall java else always run latest java update),flash vulnerabilities(always use latest flash player version),browser vulnerabilities(always use latest browser version) & many of these vulnerabilities also depend on running scripts in web pages so i recommend using firefox with noscript addon with default whitelist config in which i only temporarily allow some scripts to run on a particular website(like those filesharing sites which need captcha to enter,video streaming sites etc).it is a hassle though but after using firefox with noscript for so long i can easily handle it but for newcomers it will be difficult to follow for some time.

Avast webshield can prevented that. Saved me many times. Also use WOT.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
even webshield & WOT won't protect you if you are visiting a legit/reputable website(like bbc radio) designed to exploit java/flash/windows vulnerabilities.this is how facebook,twitter & new york times got hacked.this is also why in cyber black market such zero-day java exploits sells for $10000 a piece.:)

dashing.sujay

Moving
Staff member
I must say avast has done a great work on UI as far as ver 8 is considered. I really wish some attention was paid towards the protection level. I'm saying this because of an incident occurred few days ago. A friend of mine had requested me to install antivirus in this PC. His system was infected heavily. When I installed Avast 8, as one would expect viruses would be caught active in memory, but to my surprise, NO. I ignored it and started scanning. The point to notice is that, I had inserted a pen drive, and virus, which was active in memory was continuously replicating itself in the PD; and shockingly, Avast detected all the viruses in the PD in real time, while virus was replicating it, in parallel. :eek: Avast should have detected and cleaned the virus active in memory in first place, but I guess it was too busy in increasing the count of viruses it caught. I was in total dismay. :| Thy shall not be forgiven.

Bbye Avast. (only if I would have tried thou)

gameranand

Living to Play
I must say avast has done a great work on UI as far as ver 8 is considered. I really wish some attention was paid towards the protection level. I'm saying this because of an incident occurred few days ago. A friend of mine had requested me to install antivirus in this PC. His system was infected heavily. When I installed Avast 8, as one would expect viruses would be caught active in memory, but to my surprise, NO. I ignored it and started scanning. The point to notice is that, I had inserted a pen drive, and virus, which was active in memory was continuously replicating itself in the PD; and shockingly, Avast detected all the viruses in the PD in real time, while virus was replicating it, in parallel. :eek: Avast should have detected and cleaned the virus active in memory in first place, but I guess it was too busy in increasing the count of viruses it caught. I was in total dismay. :| Thy shall not be forgiven.

Bbye Avast. (only if I would have tried thou)

If a computer is infected heavily then the best thing you can do is Boot time scan which will cure the system in most cases. When a file is replicating itself then it is basically in use so windows don't allow it to be deleted, that could be the problem.

shreymittal

Being Human
even webshield & WOT won't protect you if you are visiting a legit/reputable website(like bbc radio) designed to exploit java/flash/windows vulnerabilities.this is how facebook,twitter & new york times got hacked.this is also why in cyber black market such zero-day java exploits sells for $10000 a piece.:)

Thanks whitestar for the noscript info will add that today itself as i am using firefox only. But what about chrome as mom uses that

dashing.sujay

Moving
Staff member
If a computer is infected heavily then the best thing you can do is Boot time scan which will cure the system in most cases. When a file is replicating itself then it is basically in use so windows don't allow it to be deleted, that could be the problem.

Well your comment contradicts working of antiviruses. I shouldn't have said heavily infected, mild would have been better word. Actually have seen 1000 times more infected PCs, but antiviruses like Kaspersky, ESET and even Norton have handled it well. But I seriously don't know what was wrong with Avast. Doesn't matter how badly a system is infected, obviously except rare cases, an antivirus has to clean the memory first.

And windows can't stop antivirus from cleaning the memory. Viruses normally target explorer or svchost, and antiviruses can easily tackle them, no OS intrusion can stop them. If it does, it will automatically tell you to do either boot time scanning or whatever, which hasn't occurred with me in my life.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
@shreymittal,noscript addon works effectively only with firefox/firefox based browsers.however using noscript for the 1st time can be troublesome for average users so if the user is novice/average browser like chrome would be a better choice.in such cases always use a good regularly updated antivirus & always run updated versions of adobe flash.install windows security updates(not the recommended/performance related which you can install later) regularly & don't install/disable java in browsers unless absolutely necessary.

@dashing.sujay,maybe there is some new optimize scan setting in avast 8 which skips scanning memory to minimize ram usage by default.this may explain why avast caught created files but missed the running culprit process.

edit:it seems like when using custom scan option you have to select "memory scan" option to enable scanning of memory.this option seems to be disabled by default.i don't use avast 8 but you can try looking into settings to see where exactly is this option.

Last edited:

dashing.sujay

Moving
Staff member
@dashing.sujay,maybe there is some new optimize scan setting in avast 8 which skips scanning memory to minimize ram usage by default.this may explain why avast caught created files but missed the running culprit process.

This only explains the lameness of Avast.

edit:it seems like when using custom scan option you have to select "memory scan" option to enable scanning of memory.this option seems to be disabled by default.i don't use avast 8 but you can try looking into settings to see where exactly is this option.

I selected quick scan, not custom scan. Anyways I will give another look.

Top Bottom