Antivirus Guide & User Reviews.

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
The only TRUE FREE antivirus I found is Clamwin

*clamwin.com/

But I don't know how good it is as compared to other FREE AV(s).
You can also contribute in this project by submitting the samples.
It's generally used in Linux email servers to scan for Windows viruses in attachments.

TheSloth

The Slowest One
I bought a license of Bit Defender with 3 other forum members here but never used it after first 2 weeks because of false alarms and blocking. Now I ma not using any Antivirus but I think I will go back to ESET.

kg11sgbg

Indian Railways - The Vibrant and Moving INDIA
I bought a license of Bit Defender with 3 other forum members here but never used it after first 2 weeks because of false alarms and blocking. Now I ma not using any Antivirus but I think I will go back to ESET.
Used ESET,much much reliable,with functionalities,but never a hindrance onto your computer system.

Zangetsu

I am the master of my Fate.
Anybody remembers ComboFix ?

*www.raymond.cc/blog/portable-emsisoft-anti-malware-5-0-from-free-emergency-kit/

*www.raymond.cc/blog/scan-your-computer-with-multiple-anti-virus-for-free/

*www.raymond.cc/blog/comprehensive-list-and-review-of-free-online-antivirus-scanners/

quicky008

Technomancer
Does anyone remember Doctor solomon's antivirus?? It was quite popular in the era of MS-DOS and displayed a funky looking rotating cursor while scanning files.A vendor once tried to sell it to me for a sizeable sum of money (it was obviously a pirated copy)-he claimed it was one of the best AVs in India,if not the entire world!!

kg11sgbg

Indian Railways - The Vibrant and Moving INDIA
I've also used Dr. Web Full Security suite(Paid obviously) some 6~7 yrs ago.
The main annoying part was you have to seek permission from Dr. Web, every time a new link or web page is opened from your existing opened site by clicking to that link/page for your work/info related jobs.
OTHERWISE IT WAS VERY GOOD IN DETECTION RATES OF MALWARE.

RumbaMon19

Feel Pain.
Does anyone remember Doctor solomon's antivirus?? It was quite popular in the era of MS-DOS and displayed a funky looking rotating cursor while scanning files.A vendor once tried to sell it to me for a sizeable sum of money (it was obviously a pirated copy)-he claimed it was one of the best AVs in India,if not the entire world!!

After some previous tension between the two software products,[6] on June 9, 1998, McAfee (then known as Network Associates) agreed to acquire Dr. Solomon's Group plc, the leading European manufacturer of antivirus software, for $642 million in stock.[7]

*en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dr_Solomon's_Antivirus

RumbaMon19

Feel Pain.
Ok So for last time,

Bitdefender Vs Eset

Requirement:-

-Anti-Ransomware and
-Should not eat PC as I will be using this on 2 devices, one with core i3 7th gen and other with ryzen 5 3rd gen.

Any way to post a mini poll here?

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
Ok So for last time,

Bitdefender Vs Eset

-Anti-Ransomware and
-Should not eat PC as I will be using this on 2 devices, one with core i3 7th gen and other with ryzen 5 3rd gen.

Don't think mini poll can be added. Bitdefender might work well on ryzen 5 3rd gen but eset should be definitely better performance wise on 7th gen i3. Also try avira free if you haven't yet.

quicky008

Technomancer
dont recommend bitdefender-it really slows the system down.also it blocks many legit programs as malware/viruses.

try eset trial version,if satisfied then get the full 1/3 yr paid license.

Zangetsu

I am the master of my Fate.
dont recommend bitdefender-it really slows the system down.also it blocks many legit programs as malware/viruses.

try eset trial version,if satisfied then get the full 1/3 yr paid license.
Yes, false positive is because the programs are encrypted

Ok So for last time,

Bitdefender Vs Eset

-Anti-Ransomware and

If on HDD, avoid BitDefender, not sure how light ESET is but BitDefender is a bit heavy at startup. Maybe just use Windows Defender for something lightweight.

RumbaMon19

Feel Pain.
If on HDD, avoid BitDefender, not sure how light ESET is but BitDefender is a bit heavy at startup. Maybe just use Windows Defender for something lightweight.

actually that pc is also used for buisness and hence cant risk anything. Its on hdd.
currently using kaspersky and it ate the pc.

Top Bottom