Antivirus Guide & User Reviews.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
Windows Defender is good but not great. I don't think MS updates the signature everyday like other AV programs.
Yes it does by default & you can even set the frequency to make it update even more regularly.
*www.tenforums.com/antivirus-firewa...ws-defender-definitions-update-frequency.html

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
^^Hmm. Still I feel the detection rate is pretty low compared to other AV engines.
No, its detection rate has improved a lot since 2018 on windows 10.
*www.av-comparatives.org/tests/real-world-protection-test-feb-mar-2021-factsheet/

1625297821789.png

I suggest you to bookmark above site & check AV performance results there.

kg11sgbg

Indian Railways - The Vibrant and Moving INDIA
How about the Net Protector Anti Virus Total Security?
Simply NPAV?

Does it fall along the leagues of AVAST,AVIRA,ESET,...etc?
How much strong and reliable it is?
Detection rates?

@whitestar_999 , Please do comment.

Zangetsu

I am the master of my Fate.
No, its detection rate has improved a lot since 2018 on windows 10.
I suggest you to bookmark above site & check AV performance results there.
Looking at the charts looks like VIPRE & G Data are also excellent Anti Viruses with 0 false positives.
Vipres AV plus is cheapest too :)

kg11sgbg

Indian Railways - The Vibrant and Moving INDIA
Looking at the charts looks like VIPRE & G Data are also excellent Anti Viruses with 0 false positives.
In fact I am using a paid version of Premium (Total Security) of GData (3yrs,1 PC)

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
tried twice in the past but it was catching too many false positives - even parts of a mkv video file downloaded using IDM; so removed it and started using Bitdefender free.
Strange, I download a lot of videos & occasional software but rarely gets a false alert from avira.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gdata is much heavier performance wise though Vipre is better but still only in the middle of performance chart.
*www.av-comparatives.org/tests/performance-test-april-2021/

Nerevarine

Incarnate
Ive recently come to understand how antiviruses work, most of them use a library called Yara, the antivirus is just a front end to use it and the virus definitions are just regular expression type filters over a hex code to filter out things.
Thats the reason, why so many no name antiviruses have popped up in the last few years, because creating an antivirus isnt a terribly difficult thing to do

Top Bottom