Antivirus Guide & User Reviews.

billubakra

Conversation Architect
Why is everyone in india obsessed with quick heal antivirus?The go-to choice for most folks (even reasonably tech-savvy ones)when it comes to security solutions is inevitably quick heal,when other paid alternatives that are not only cheaper(quick heal is really overpriced imho)but are also more efficient are readily available.Even in schools and colleges most computer teachers seem to advocate the use of quick-heal and that just reinforces the idea that its a good a/v software,which is actually far from the truth.
Give me a million dollars and I will tell you that quick heal is better than kaspersky.
Hope you got the point.

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
apart from the quid pro quo many are just plain ignorant and dumb and they just like ( for the sake of patriotism / show off ) what is country made without considering quality.

Minion

Conversation Architect
Why is everyone in india obsessed with quick heal antivirus?The go-to choice for most folks (even reasonably tech-savvy ones)when it comes to security solutions is inevitably quick heal,when other paid alternatives that are not only cheaper(quick heal is really overpriced imho)but are also more efficient are readily available.Even in schools and colleges most computer teachers seem to advocate the use of quick-heal and that just reinforces the idea that its a good a/v software,which is actually far from the truth.
Recent quickheal versions have are improved a lot it is no more a sub standard antivirus.Quick heal is the only Indian antivirus and they are paying handsome sum to vendors for selling their antivirus that maybe the reason they are available everywhere.

Zangetsu

I am the master of my Fate.
I still remember the Radio Ad
"Aapke PC main kon rehta hain...Virus ya Quickheal ?"

quicky008

Technomancer
I recently installed the trial version of bitdefender antivirus plus and attempted to scan an infected pen drive with it-among others,the pen drive contained several fake shortcuts to various folders within it.Bitdefender detected over 200 infected files and gave me the option to delete them all-however once this was over the shortcuts still remained in the pen drive.

Next i scanned the same pen drive with eset nod 32 av(on another pc) but it couldn't find any infections apart from the shortcuts themselves that were detected as LNK/Agent.DV trojans and proceeded to delete them automatically.

Now my question is,why did bitdefender a/v fail to remove these shortcuts whereas eset successfully managed to get rid of them?Afterall bitdefender is supposed to be one of the top rated security products and its failure to detect the infected .lnk files came as a surprise to me.I was planning to buy a 3 yr license for bitdefender but after witnessing this issue i am having second thoughts about it.

Last edited:

billubakra

Conversation Architect
I recently installed the trial version of bitdefender antivirus plus and attempted to scan an infected pen drive with it-among others,the pen drive contained several fake shortcuts to various folders within it.Bitdefender detected over 200 infected files and gave me the option to delete them all-however once this was over the shortcuts still remained in the pen drive.

Next i scanned the same pen drive with eset nod 32 av(on another pc) but it couldn't any infections apart from the shortcuts themselves that were detected as LNK/Agent.DV trojans and proceeded to delete them automatically.

Now my question is,why did bitdefender a/v fail to remove these shortcuts whereas eset successfully managed to get rid of them?Afterall bitdefender is supposed to be one of the top rated security products and its failure to detect the infected .lnk files came as a surprise to me.I was planning to buy a 3 yr license for bitdefender but after witnessing this issue i am having second thoughts about it.
Let the seniors reply to your question. Regarding purchasing of license go for free Windiws Defender or if you really want to shell out some money then go for KAV.

Minion

Conversation Architect

Next i scanned the same pen drive with eset nod 32 av(on another pc) but it couldn't any infections apart from the shortcuts themselves that were detected as LNK/Agent.DV trojans and proceeded to delete them automatically.

I was using bitdefender free and even though bitdefender free detected ransomware it couldn't prevented it from messing with my files I lose all files and couldn't recover any.
Now using avg Internet security which I got for free from sharewareonsale.com

quicky008

Technomancer
@billubakra:KAV is kaspersky antivirus right?I will check it out,thanks for the suggestion.Btw is it light on resource usage?

@Minion:thats a really valuable piece of info-to think i was actually about to go ahead and buy it,which would have been a real blunder given that it cant even safeguard the system from ransomware attacks.Do you think avg is better than other paid alternatives like kaspersky,bitdefender etc?

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
Nothing is better than Kaspersky/bitdefender when it comes to paid alternatives.Maybe bitdefender considers shortcuts harmless after removing all the associated files/folders as they will simply give you a path not found/empty folder while eset is a bit more aggressive & even removes shortcuts even if they can't do any more harm.

quicky008

Technomancer
In the activity log page,eset said "object has been deleted as it only contained the virus body" after deleting that supposedly infected shortcut.Does this message imply that the shortcut was harmless but was still deleted as a safety measure/precaution?

billubakra

Conversation Architect
@billubakra:KAV is kaspersky antivirus right?I will check it out,thanks for the suggestion.Btw is it light on resource usage?

@Minion:thats a really valuable piece of info-to think i was actually about to go ahead and buy it,which would have been a real blunder given that it cant even safeguard the system from ransomware attacks.Do you think avg is better than other paid alternatives like kaspersky,bitdefender etc?
Yes Kasperksy Anti Virus. It is light, try the free one first. Also try Windows Defender before spending your money.

Minion

Conversation Architect

Yes,never faced any issue with AVG. Kaspersky free was good until recently it is blocking some genuine websites

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
In the activity log page,eset said "object has been deleted as it only contained the virus body" after deleting that supposedly infected shortcut.Does this message imply that the shortcut was harmless but was still deleted as a safety measure/precaution?
Can't say as never used eset but easiest way is to right click any shortcut & see in its properties its target location then scan that target location manually.If target location is clean or does not exist then shortcut is also harmless.

kg11sgbg

Indian Railways - The Vibrant and Moving INDIA
Can't say as never used eset but easiest way is to right click any shortcut & see in its properties its target location then scan that target location manually.If target location is clean or does not exist then shortcut is also harmless.
I had used (paid version ) eset on 2014~15. It's oustanding in its features . Particularly,their customer care is phenomenal at its best...
Anyone could give it a try...

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
and even I can vouch for eset paid version. Not even once got any false positive and the AV is just super light on resources. Has very active web scanning and a great scan engine which works silently unlike Avira which I was using before.

kg11sgbg

Indian Railways - The Vibrant and Moving INDIA
and even I can vouch for eset paid version. Not even once got any false positive and the AV is just super light on resources. Has very active web scanning and a great scan engine which works silently unlike Avira which I was using before.
As I mentioned before.
Their customer care is outstanding.

Zangetsu

I am the master of my Fate.
Even the Norton latest antivirus is low on resources and excellent detection rate.
Personally I use Bitdefender Total Security (which I bought on group buy last year for 3yrs license)

TheSloth

The Slowest One
I too bought bit defender here as a group. But I am lazy to install now after I had to reinstall it twice cause if couldn't update itself and stopped working. It was also a bit hard for me figure out how to unblock ahem FIFA 14 as it blocked this as a threat. It even blocked rocket league which is not pirated.
Even the Norton latest antivirus is low on resources and excellent detection rate.
Personally I use Bitdefender Total Security (which I bought on group buy last year for 3yrs license)

Top Bottom