Antivirus Guide & User Reviews.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
System scanner has the setting of applying preset action but real time scanner will ask for what to do(which is the best thing to do as some files may be false positives.e.g.some official windows password/system tools).As for mini scan,it just takes 1-2 min & I think it does it to make sure there isn't any copy of the file being deleted/quarantined stored somewhere in system restore or some temp location.

billubakra

Conversation Architect
[MENTION=138367]TheSloth[/MENTION]
The pc's specs are 1gb ram, p4 and win xp sp2. Will Avira and 360 work fine with it?
[MENTION=57860]thetechfreak[/MENTION]
Bitdefender free is not for win xp sp2 :(

TheSloth

The Slowest One
@TheSloth
The pc's specs are 1gb ram, p4 and win xp sp2. Will Avira and 360 work fine with it?
Sorry buddy, can't really say for sure for such an old system. I think it will be slightly heavy on your PC. Better install both one by one and use them for a week to see which one suits you better.

billubakra

Conversation Architect
Sorry buddy, can't really say for sure for such an old system. I think it will be slightly heavy on your PC. Better install both one by one and use them for a week to see which one suits you better.

Will do brother. I hope that there are no ads since it is a free version. Second, any reviews about K7 av?

TheSloth

The Slowest One
yes, after finishing scan it will ask what to do with the threats. Yeah there is an option to add exceptions.

A

amit.tiger12

Re: Antivirus Guide & User Reviews.

I was using AVG Internet Security (Piracy) past 4-5 years..Better than any lite version other available?
Use 360 total security, using it for 1.5 years on computer. No virus problem. Working fine. Using with avira and bitdefender scan (360 total features).

Or you can check avira free version works well. Avast also good.

360 total security, avira, avast, bitdefender (paid and free), Kaspersky (paid) have good virus detection rate.

swatkat

Technomancer
Isn't Chrome+AdBlockPlus, Microsoft Security Essentials and Windows Firewall sufficient for all practical purposes? AdBlockPlus (or uBlock Origin) keeps the most of the malvertising sh!t at bay. MSE and Windows Firewall are light and do their job well. And, Malwarebytes can be used as a second opinion, on-demand scanner.

A

amit.tiger12

Re: Antivirus Guide & User Reviews.

Isn't Chrome+AdBlockPlus, Microsoft Security Essentials and Windows Firewall sufficient for all practical purposes? AdBlockPlus (or uBlock Origin) keeps the most of the malvertising sh!t at bay. MSE and Windows Firewall are light and do their job well. And, Malwarebytes can be used as a second opinion, on-demand scanner.

Or Chrome + AdBlock Plus + uBlock (not origin) + VPN + Comodo firewall (or any better firewall) + 360 total security (or avira or any better) + malwarebytes (or any better Anti malware) + Anti spyware + Anti adware..

Edit : replace Chrome with Firefox, and free the difference. Using Firefox from 1st use of computer.

Last edited by a moderator:

billubakra

Conversation Architect

I would like to replace chrome with FF. BTW there's a version of MSE for older xp versions and it is getting the updates.

D

Deleted member 118788

I have made a switch from Avast free edition + Tinywall combo to a more complex setup.

AV: Eset NOD32 [+ves: More quicker, effective than Avast as well as less false positives. -ves: Slightly higher memory usage than Avast]
Anti-Malware: Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Paid [+ves: Solid real-time malware protection, gels well with Eset. -ves: None as of now]
Firewall: TinyWall [+ves: Most simplest and effective firewall. -ves: Manual configuration]
Misc: Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit Free. [Need more time to analyze this before my review]
Tweaks: No flash, No java and script/ad blocker in all the browsers.

At first, this setup looks complex and memory hog but it isn't by any means and you get the maximum protection also.

Top Bottom