Another 50k rig Thread!

vickybat

I am the night...I am...
^^ I never mentioned nvidia but read somewhere that the physics code is better suited to be processed by a gpu than cpu. Nvidia's physx is the first step but i guess future implementations of physics will use the gpu maybe through a common standard.

The sole reason is physics code relying on floating point math based operations which are better suited on a gpu than a cpu. Now the optimizations you were talking about is the conversion of floating point math to fixed point math for better cpu performance.

Fixed point operations are basically integer operations with a scaling factor. Lets say 1.96 can be represented as 1960 with a scaling factor of 1/1000. But utilizing this affects precision. Nevertheless cpu physics use this.

Btw got this info:

Floating Point Determinism

February 24, 2010

Introduction

Lately I’ve been doing some research into networking game physics simulations via deterministic lockstep methods.

The basic idea is that instead of synchronizing the state of physics objects directly by sending the positions, orientations, velocities etc. over the network, one could synchronize the simulation implicitly by sending just the player inputs.

This is a very attractive synchronization strategy because the amount of network traffic depends on the size of the player inputs instead of the amount of physics state in the world. In fact, this strategy has been used for many years in RTS games for precisely this reason; with thousands and thousands of units on the map, they simply have too much state to send over the network.

Perhaps you have a complex physics simulation with lots of rigid body state, or a cloth or soft body simulation which needs to stay perfectly in sync across two machines because it is gameplay affecting, but you cannot afford to send all the state. It is clear that the only possible solution in this situation is to attempt a deterministic networking strategy.

But we run into a problem. Physics simulations use floating point calculations, and for one reason or another it is considered very difficult to get exactly the same result from floating point calculations on two different machines. People even report different results on the same machine from run to run, and between debug and release builds. Other folks say that AMDs give different results to Intel machines, and that SSE results are different from x87. What exactly is going on? Are floating point calculations deterministic or not?

Unfortunately, the answer is not a simple “yes” or “no” but a resoundingly limp “maybe“.

Here is what I have discovered so far:

1. If your physics simulation is itself deterministic, with a bit of work you should be able to get it to play back a replay of recorded inputs on the same machine and get the same result.

2. It is possible to get deterministic results for floating calculations across multiple computers provided you use an executable built with the same compiler, run on machines with the same architecture, and perform some platform-specific tricks.

3. It is incredibly naive to write arbitrary floating point code in C or C++ and expect it to give exactly the same result across different compilers or architectures.

4. However with a good deal of work you may be able to coax exactly the same floating point results out of different compilers or different machine architectures by using your compilers “strict” IEEE 754 compliant mode and restricting the set of floating point operations you use. This typically results in significantly lower floating point performance.

If you would like to debate these points or add your own nuance, please write a comment! I consider this question by no means settled and am very interested in other peoples experiences with deterministic floating point simulations and exactly reproducible floating point calculations. Please contact me especially if you have managed to get binary exact results across different architectures and compilers in real world situations.

Now this is a big debate beyond the scope of this discussion ,but i guess physics code is tailor made for the gpu because of it faring better in float operations than a cpu.

OP
Hustlerr

Hustlerr

[Next-Gen]
Jas is dell ST2220L good monitor or i will go with benq?

Cilus I want a suggestion for rig by u too and nice info u have given there.

I have Finalized these stuff:-

Cpu- Intel i5 2500k
Ram- G.skill RipjawsX F3-128000CL9S-4GBXL
HDD- 1 TB (WD or seagate?)
Mobo- MSI Z68A GD55(B3) (or any other in that prize range?)

Jaskanwar Singh

Aspiring Novelist
Jas is dell ST2220L good monitor or i will go with benq?

Cilus I want a suggestion for rig by u too and nice info u have given there.

I have Finalized these stuff:-

Cpu- Intel i5 2500k
Ram- G.skill RipjawsX F3-128000CL9S-4GBXL
HDD- 1 TB (WD or seagate?)
Mobo- MSI Z68A GD55(B3) (or any other in that prize range?)

yes from my experience its great. but benq is now vfm. and many forum members are happily using it. get what fits your budget.

DARK KNIGHT

The silent Warrior
Did this MSI Z68A GD55(B3) board is available in smc in nehru palce.

and its upper models also

Not a single reply guys anyone who knows about that one.

Last edited:

DARK KNIGHT

The silent Warrior
:smile:Hustler just check out the a new review of HX 650 modular psu.
:arrow: Corsair HX650W Power Supply - Introduction & Packaging:idea:
Its a eye candy for the enthusiast gamers who r looking for future proof gaming pc:p.

rajnusker

Sage of the Six Paths
CPU: i5 2500K @10k
MB: Asus P8P67-M @8k
RAM: Corsair 2x2GB 1600Mhz @2.3k
PSU: XFX PRO550 Core Edition @3.9k
HDD: Seagate 1TB 7200 32MB @2.75k
GPU: MSI 560-Ti Hawk @13.8k
DVD: Asus 24X DVD Writer @1.2k
CASE: NZXT M59 @3.7k
MONITOR (Full HD @1080p): Low-lighted room (Glossy Screen) -> Acer 23" P235H LCD Monitor @9k
High-lighted room (Anti-Gloss Screen) -> Samsung P2250 @8.7k
Alternative Choice: Samsung B2230 @7.xk

DARK KNIGHT

The silent Warrior
Corsair HX650 Professional Modular Power Supply Unboxing Linus Tech Tips - YouTube
check this also hustler.
its around 7k maybe

Cilus

laborare est orare
Vicky, it is not entirely true that Physics processing is not suited for CPU. The floating point operations you're talking about actually gets improved by GPU floating point calculation in Rendering work and scientific calculations where very accurate representation of the original is required.
Gaming Physics only deals with an approximate estimation rather than the accuracy. But I agree if some generic Physic engine is created to be optimized in GPU, it will perform better.

But dob't get me wrong here, Nvidia PhysX performs better in GPU than CPU simply does not imply that it presents a very good Physics Engine for gaming. It performs poorer in CPU not because of its workload but because of the use of old unoptimized X87 instruction set, a small subset of X86 instructions, rather than using SSE/SSE2 or SSE3 SIMD istruction set for better parallel processing.It is estimated by the experts that if PhysX Engine is optimized for SSE instruction sets then the performance in CPU execution will be very close to the GPU execution performance.

OP
Hustlerr

Hustlerr

[Next-Gen]
Yea where is MSI Z68A GD55(B3) is available in Nehru place? I can't find it in smc. Is price increased of all stuff at smc cuz i m gonna buy pc next week.

OP
Hustlerr

Hustlerr

[Next-Gen]
Bump.

Thx guyz for suggestion i bought these stuff yesterday!

CPU- i5 2500k
Mobo- Asus P8Z68 V-PRO
Ram- 2x4GB Gskill 1600Mhz DDR3
Cpu cooler- CM Hyper 212+
Mouse- Logitech MX510
KB- Logitech KB200
PSU- Corsair TX650 v2
HD- 1 TB WD Caviar Green :(

Didn't find any msi n560ti hawk in nehru place. Any online site where i can order that card?

Gonna buy Cabinet, Monitor and UPS today! :D

How was my deal guyz plz suggest! ;)

Top Bottom