Anime/Cartoon/Mangas Thread ~Giga Drill Breaker version~

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
RIP horriblesubs. You were so good. Idk how to anime now
I actually found out about this from your post as I never paid attention to horriblesubs. For me a true fansub release is one where people actually translate japanese to english based on their own understanding of language & not by ripping subs from some other source.

Neo

I actually found out about this from your post as I never paid attention to horriblesubs. For me a true fansub release is one where people actually translate japanese to english based on their own understanding of language & not by ripping subs from some other source.
Didn't horriblesubs do the translation themselves?
I really likes them coz they had a fixed schedule and I could count on them for new releases always

Extreme Gamer

僕はガンダム!
Vendor
I really likes them coz they had a fixed schedule and I could count on them for new releases always
No, never. They used upstream translation from the source, like Crunchyroll and Funimation.

Also, now my go-to is Erai-Raws.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
They actually named themselves horriblesubs probably because they were ripping official subs from crunchyroll(hence horrible because you know how a typical official sub is for majority of anime). They did started doing some minor fixes(like adding honorific like -san etc) for some of their later releases but mostly it was just ripping of official subs. That is also why they were very consistent & fast in their releases because once you setup a system to rip official subs then it is just a matter of few min to hour to release an episode just after its broadcast on official sources like CR.

gagan_kumar

Wise Old Owl
This season, only two series caught attention Noblesse(Feels a little slow) and DanMachi S3(This also feels lackluster). On the other hand last season, Re:Zero S2 part 1 was really good.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
Really, just decent? I was planning to start this since it has the second highest rating amoung this seasonal animes, next to Haikyu.
Never go by ratings alone for any anime series & always check the reviews of source material if anime is based on it. In this case it is a manga & on mangaupdates there are only 6 reviews in 1 year meaning it is not as popular.

TheSloth

The Slowest One
Never go by ratings alone for any anime series & always check the reviews of source material if anime is based on it. In this case it is a manga & on mangaupdates there are only 6 reviews in 1 year meaning it is not as popular.
I have so far found ratings on MyAnimeList to be true for my taste. Since I am lazy, I rarely read reviews of anime and blindly go with ratings and it has worked out well so far. But I usually read reviews of TV/Online shows and movies if ratings are high and only then decide if it's worth watching or not.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
I have so far found ratings on MyAnimeList to be true for my taste. Since I am lazy, I rarely read reviews of anime and blindly go with ratings and it has worked out well so far. But I usually read reviews of TV/Online shows and movies if ratings are high and only then decide if it's worth watching or not.
I just see the first page reviews on mangaupdates if any anime is based on manga. You prefer MAL over anidb for ratings/reviews?

gagan_kumar

Wise Old Owl
Few of the animes, I have watched, justify their ratings. Lot of them are underrated. But few top rated ones, lets just say are not just for me.

TheSloth

The Slowest One
I just see the first page reviews on mangaupdates if any anime is based on manga. You prefer MAL over anidb for ratings/reviews?
How does anidb work? Ratings seems low of few animes compare to MAL ratings. I never bothered to check anidb actually since I already made an account on MAL to track anime and also to integrate login over AnymeX mobile app.
How is anidb better than MAL?

Few of the animes, I have watched, justify their ratings. Lot of them are underrated. But few top rated ones, lets just say are not just for me.
You are right about those few. Shield Hero was one of the most recent where hype and initial ratings were really high and I ended up investing time in this.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
How does anidb work? Ratings seems low of few animes compare to MAL ratings. I never bothered to check anidb actually since I already made an account on MAL to track anime and also to integrate login over AnymeX mobile app.
How is anidb better than MAL?
I actually use only anidb for the most part, the main reason being like its name suggests it is more of a database & it indeed has the best data base of all anime releases(fansub & official) so those who prefer to research which release to get & compare various releases this is the best place. Also the reviews on anidb are more detailed & its tags assigned to various anime releases also help in comparing. Just try it yourself by seeing anidb page & review of some anime series. Also keep in mind that a 6-7 rating on anidb is passable enough to give a show a try but in my experience it is better to focus more on review rating than avg rating.e.g. Check the Shield Hero anidb page, the short recommendations on main page & the reviews on review page.
*anidb.net/anime/13246

TheSloth

The Slowest One
I actually use only anidb for the most part, the main reason being like its name suggests it is more of a database & it indeed has the best data base of all anime releases(fansub & official) so those who prefer to research which release to get & compare various releases this is the best place. Also the reviews on anidb are more detailed & its tags assigned to various anime releases also help in comparing. Just try it yourself by seeing anidb page & review of some anime series. Also keep in mind that a 6-7 rating on anidb is passable enough to give a show a try but in my experience it is better to focus more on review rating than avg rating.e.g. Check the Shield Hero anidb page, the short recommendations on main page & the reviews on review page.
*anidb.net/anime/13246
I see. It will take some time for me to get used to this, but I will definitely give it a try. I saw the rating on the review page and people have given 3-4 rating to Shield Hero which seems apt :lol:

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
I see. It will take some time for me to get used to this, but I will definitely give it a try. I saw the rating on the review page and people have given 3-4 rating to Shield Hero which seems apt :lol:
Check out the review of "thatanimesnob" on reviews page. Here is the direct link:
*anidb.net/anime/13246/review/10481
This guy is a real "critic", he rarely give any recent anime show a good rating & chances are that any "trending" show will be trashed by him :lol: All his highly rated shows are old classic anime or old underrated anime with very few recent anime.

chimera201

Wise Old Owl
Watched Parasyte the maxim. There are a lot of plot conveniences in the story. But it managed to entertain me till the end since that is what matters - 8/10.

Also the thing in which the parasytes come in looked like coronavirus. It's getting to me :lol:

*thumbs.gfycat.com/AmazingSlightHornet-max-1mb.gif

Top Bottom