Android phone 7k to 8k

darkv0id

Journeyman
Greetings!

Okay, my cousin wants a new mobile phone in a budget of 7-8k. He wants a fast net experience, wants to listen to some music, play some games(probably Angry Birds and stuff). Details below.

1. Budget?
7 to 8k

2. Display type and size? 3.2, if possible 3.5 inch
3.2, if possible 3.5 inch

3. Form Factor? bar, slider, flip?
Not a factor

4. Preferred choice of brand? Any brand, but not Karbonn, Lemon, Spice or anything else from the grocer :wink:

5. Preferred input method (QWERTY, touchscreen, numpad, touch-n-type).
Touch

6. What camera option you want? Please specify need for flash, autofocus, front facing camera.
Not a factor

7. Preferred operating system? (Android, Symbian, iOS, Windows Phone etc).
Either Symbian or Android (Android preferred, though)

8. Preferred connectivity options (3G, Wifi etc)Please specify clearly.
3G+Wifi (Ready to sacrifice connectivity if hardware specs are good)

9. Preferred applications (Flash, Swype, GPS, etc)?
Flash+GPS

10. Primary use of handset (multimedia, camera, mails, internet, gaming etc)?
Internet+music+A tiny bit of gaming

11. Any specific mobile phones in consideration?
I had done some research and I think that Huawei Ascend Y200 and Nokia Asha 311 are good bets)

12. Any other info that you want to share
Nope

Suggestions?

cacklebolt

Ambassador of Buzz
asha series is good but not smartphone

get him a droid...
an htc explorer
if he can wait ,then the xperia tipo is a better deal..
launches with ics and 2.9 gb inbuilt storage vs 90(??) mb storage of explorer,
800 mhz processor vs 600 mhz of htc,
scratch resistant glass
coming in q3

or if he doesnt like either one,there is the ever popular galaxy y though its qvga screen and arm v6 proccy really limits app selection..
p.s : i own a glaxy y and i love it!!!

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
Xperia Mini is available for 9990. Its way over his budget and also have 3" screen but better than any sub 10k mobile you can buy.
Else its Explorer all the way. There is LG Optimus L3 too but again same QVGA screen making pics look grainy.

OP
darkv0id

darkv0id

Journeyman
Xperia Mini is available for 9990. Its way over his budget and also have 3" screen but better than any sub 10k mobile you can buy.
Else its Explorer all the way. There is LG Optimus L3 too but again same QVGA screen making pics look grainy.

The budget, unfortunately, is non-extensible, so no Xperia Mini.

But when it comes to budget phones, I'd like to know, which factor plays in bigger role in performance: RAM or processor speed. Because the Explorer has 512 MB of RAM vs the Ascend's 256 MB, but the Ascend's processor is 800 Mhz vs the Explorer's 600 Mhz. Also, the Ascend has a larger screen (3.5"), though with smaller pixel density.

I presumed that processors are key so was favouring the Ascend, but everyone else seems to be recommending the Explorer.

Your thoughts?

guru_urug

iGoogle
I'd say the RAM is more crucial, since its usually a direct comparison between 2 phones. RAM type and speeds do vary across manufacturers but they are more or less the same as the impact of these differences is not significant. Hence we can "usually" compare phone RAM directly on its size. So 512MB<1GB therefore the 1GB phone has an advantage. (Unlike in Desktop GPUs, where such a comparison is not always valid since graphics memory varies in GDDRtype and speeds).
Also IMO for any android phone 512MB should be the minimum.

Now coming to mobile processors, the scenario is totally different...there are various chipsets, ARM specification levels and each chipset usually has its own versions (low, turbo,etc). So its usually a Apples to Oranges comparison. For example the HTC explorer @600Mhz is still better than the LG optimus one @ 806Mhz. Since the explorer has a better architecture based processor (ARM v7 vs the optimus one ARMv6). Analogous to the core2duo 2.4GHz being a much better performer than the pentium D(3.0ghz).
Also there are apps which require ARMv7 and above processors to run. Apps which are not supported by my Optimus one, runs flawlessly on my friends Explorer.

BottomLine:- Architecture matters when it comes to processor. Also dont forget that you can easily overclock the processor, The explorer can pretty much go upto 1.3Ghz!!! :) But you cant increase the RAM.
Hope this helps. IMO go for the explorer, but if you want to install loads of apps then you will have to root it for sure, since internal memory is less. But after rooting you will have no problems.

Last edited:
OP
darkv0id

darkv0id

Journeyman
^ WOW!

I wasn't expecting such a comprehensive reply. Anyway, thanks! The HTC Explorer it will be.

Is there some sort of reliable guide you could refer me to, for overclocking the Explorer's processor?

cacklebolt

Ambassador of Buzz
ram is crucial because the performance is directly proportional to ram...just as in a pc if u want better perfromance u add more ram in the same way phones with higher ram generall perform better...and regarding cpu speed what actually matters is the efficiency of hardware..a 600 mhz new gen cpu will perform better than a 832 mhz old gen cpu(htc explorer/xperia tipo's arm v7 vs samsung galaxy y armv6)
i still suggest tipo because it launches with ics,has a 800 mhz processor like ascend and 512 mb ram like explorer while running new gen hardware..

news that may interest you:
sony xperia tipo's status has changed from coming soon to new arrival on sony india site.

techlover

In the zone
+1 HTC Explorer :)

If u can then better wait for Sony Xperia Tipo ..better processor and ICS ..but its expected around 9k

Top Bottom