Android One Thread

kg11sgbg

Indian Railways - The Vibrant and Moving INDIA
brother is using Xolo since 12 months still no lag while using it :shock: while he keeps mocking my iPhone 4 which runs like a Bajaj Priya :-D hanging n crashing all the time
+1, for this.
Presently so called Indian CRAPPY companies are shedding their crap structure and is moving more to a stabilised and mature one. Actually we need to bear in mind the so called MNC Giant companies entered into this market for 1~2 decades back. You have to give time to the Indian companies. The most important aspect is BUDGET, not everyone are as uber rich as some folks in this Forum.

The important driving force :--> common man / aam janata will always go for Indian(Desi) company brands no matter whatever crap or sh!t it may be for us for only a miniscule(microscopic) part of the Indian Population, in this @TDF.

Minion

Conversation Architect
IS Xolo going to release any Android One devices? Actually they are lot better than micromax,Karbonn etc.

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
I compared the battery with the one I have on my O1. 1700 mAH Is low. And including Glonass would have been nice specially with the price of 7K. (Blame Moto E for spoiling).

O1's chipset is a battery hog. they ported and hacked everything just to make it work.

Btw, you are not going to get this phone are you?

nope ;)

They are giving Flipkart, Flipkart ebooks and Facebook as bloat.

so Indian customers can't afford 15MB or have no idea about Facebook (according to Google/Spice).

Another thing to notice is images on flipkart. They look bit different than PURE android promised by Google :p

message & chrome icon. looks like photoshop done by a newbie.

What was point behind starting Spice cloud? :facepalm:

there was no android one last year.

IS Xolo going to release any Android One devices? Actually they are lot better than micromax,Karbonn etc.

no. only spice, micromax, celkon & intex are part of android one program as per latest reports.

OP
ankush28

ankush28

Bazinga
Hell they even failed at producing proper renders! Wifi icon is messing up with cell network Icons. Time is crossing ends of screen :p

Probably some flipkart worker trolled whole world.

rish1

Cyborg Agent
karbon android one also has same specs ..

Snapdeal announces Karbonn Sparkle V Android One phone - GSMArena.com news

looks like all 3 phones will have similar specs and prices .. and i think this resolution is set by google itself and not by manufacturers

Last edited:

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
karbon android one also has same specs ..

Snapdeal announces Karbonn Sparkle V Android One phone - GSMArena.com news

looks like all 3 phones will have similar specs and prices .. and i think this resolution is set by google itself and not by manufacturers

based on reference spec by Google. so display, memory, processor, etc is decided by Google with only the price called by the brand. also all 3 looks the same with on display navigation keys.

BTW heard that bigger brands (Asus & HTC) too will launch Android One maybe early next year. it'll be great if true. no more waiting for android updates, no more garbage UI, no bloatware.

inb4 "nokia did it with wp8 ages ago"

We should stop calling them phones because that's the last thing they'd be used for nowadays. CloudNodes or whatever...

amjath

Human Spambot
based on reference spec by Google. so display, memory, processor, etc is decided by Google with only the price called by the brand. also all 3 looks the same with on display navigation keys.

BTW heard that bigger brands (Asus & HTC) too will launch Android One maybe early next year. it'll be great if true. no more waiting for android updates, no more garbage UI, no bloatware.

HTC should act fast and get Android one for their entry level, but pricing by HTC is questionable

OP
ankush28

ankush28

Bazinga
Other manufacturer will Join Android One by end of this year. Most "BRANDS" will use SD210 or SD208 according to some rumors. SD2xx is questionable in terms of performance.

Coming to Android updates
Do any of you think that Google will be able to provide updates to ONE phones after Android L? Even if they push updates (like XDA devs do for us :p) It will make phone sluggish. I think they will make some "LITE" version of Android for these phones.

I am planning to buy one android one device. Which one should I go for? Micromax, Spice or Karbonn?

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
According to the latest article by digit HTC and ASUS might come with Android Device too. If that's the case, I think I can consider buying one! :D

Skyh3ck

Cyborg Agent
wait and watch, it is going to change a lot in market

Apple, Samsung, HTC all have to change their attitude or extinct from Indian Market.

ajaymailed

In the zone
When i read about Android One, i recollected my posts in this forum. Android One should be the beginning of next big revolution in the smartphone space in developing world.

this was in 2012
was waiting for android to clearly break into Sub-5K segment and i think my waiting is almost over.
I hope this 2.8inch androids will come with backslider keyboard since it wud be bit difficult with touch keyboard of small size. 3.2 inch at 5K or below will be groundbreaking.

its clearly these Sub 5K Phones that will take Android into the mass market of millions & billions of people reaching a dominating position in the market.

new retailer. never heard of them.

but at 5k, you can't complain. also already there are many 2.8" touchscreen only android.

and leave them with bad taste of Android. no update, less ram, etc. most people will go for Galaxy Pocket after using friend's Galaxy Ace or maybe Galaxy S. and as these are not even half as powerful or have really old hardware. they'll just say Android is crap OS. it has limitations.

Android experience at Sub 5K surely won't be same as 12K priced Galaxy Ace or 20K SGS. Its unfair to expect similar performance from all of them.

krappy phones like that will be released and they will give bad experience, there are so many manufacturers out there, they will always try to break into even lower price segments by releasing it with substandard hw, because android gives the freedom. The thing is we won't even have possibility to get any other smartphone at that low prices.
in Performance-Price graph, definitely performance will take a beating when manufacturers try to release at very low prices compromising on hw. In price sensitive markets like India & others, they sure won't be expecting iPhone experience at that low prices.

after lot of krappy phones, there will be ideal VFM Product, the perfect blend of price & performance that will create the smartphone revolution. The android army will be truly unstoppable then fundamentally changing the face of smartphone market, We can say it will be grand success after lot of failures. Its that ultra-low cost innovation that will much bigger story than any iPhone or Windows Phone.
Its definitely much more difficult, challenging & risky than making a quad-core CPU packed with HD Resolution, Big Camera and other features, it will involve lot of failures, razor thin margins, losses, problems in distribution/marketing etc

I want to see a Nokia 1100 in Android, I want to see android selling in hundreds of millions of numbers reaching every nook and corner of mass markets. For me its the holy grail for Android.

if you take the example of Akash, even though it was released with such a low performance hw and gave bad experience, It gives a idea, rough picture of what people are expecting from Tablet priced so low. Even if it might have been failed product, it will definitely give lot of experience to makers of what compromises users can accept and what they insist on.

Then next product will come with slightly better hw with prices adjusted and slightly better end user experience. even that might flop, makers will continue the process untill one company will get that perfect product focusing equally on price as well performance.

the greatness of android is, it allows itself become krappy with substandard hw by any company, it allows itself to be moulded with custom ROMs by any individual, it allows itself to be experimented upon. There is that freedom that is not availaible with other OS.

this android commercial reflects my feelings.
Videotron Android Army Commercial - YouTube
will keep an eye. if they offer some better deal. will take their price as reference too.

currently sub5k mobiles have only 1 market leader. Symbian S40. it doesn't have multitasking but at least it can run on almost any elcheapo SOC with super low clockspeed, 128Mb ram and 128Mb ROM. no GPU required. this keep price down and allows Nokia to offer unmatched value.

Also android have some limitations that even those elcheapo mobile don't:
can't install apps directly to external memory.
requires lot more ram and still less memory error (in case of 256Mb)
apps are really big. so even if one have 25Mb free internal memory and it can be moved to external memory, one can't install a 25Mb app.

so Android will take control of the lowend section but it'll take time.

it'll take time. See with IceCream Sandwich, Google enabled hardware acceleration. but it is optional. one can use mobile without hardware acceleration too but it'll lag if there is too much transaction going on in screen. and things won't change (i don't expect) with Jelly Beans too. And once Jelly Bean is out, gingerbread will have to be dropped. so a GPU will be required. forcing SOC cost up and hence the pricing of entry level mobiles.

exactly.

Panetel took the lesson and made a better tablet with slightly higher cost which most of us (including me) thought impossible cause budget Android mobiles uses more low quality internal components.

hehe right :)
nice video :)

ofcourse, this was 2012, now there are no 256 MB RAMs. , no 2.8 inch/3inch screen , more importantly, no el-cheapo SOCs. Resolution will definitely improve in near future. Google supporting them with continuous updates is just like a dream for these devices under 6K.

just want to see how further Google would encourage Indian Cos to push price range even further low?

Last edited:

kg11sgbg

wait and watch, it is going to change a lot in market

Apple, Samsung, HTC all have to change their attitude or extinct from Indian Market.
+1, to this.
SAMSUNG,HTC,etc. Smart phones should decrease their prices to some extent,because no one survives in a market with only niche products.
Look at the population.

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
AFAIK, Apple does not care about the general populace. They have branded the iPhone as a high class device for high class people and I don't think they would create cheaper devices. Even the iPhone 5c isn't that cheap.

But yeah, for Samsung, HTC, etc. they need to get onboard or they would stand to lose huge market shares.

But what we really need is for Indian companies to set up production facilities over here as well so that we don't have to rely on other manufacturers.

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
AFAIK, Apple does not care about the general populace. They have branded the iPhone as a high class device for high class people and I don't think they would create cheaper devices. Even the iPhone 5c isn't that cheap.

I don't generally like Apple because of their high price. But my views about Apple are a bit different. To people residing in US of A, for which iPhone is primarily meant can afford them easily due to contracts. Also the fact that Dollar is very high compared to Rupees makes iPhone seem even costlier.

I would rather say Apple seems satisfied with the demographic it's serving it's primary business. Since probably they are the only people who can actually afford to buy paid apps from it's appstore.

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
I don't generally like Apple because of their high price. But my views about Apple are a bit different. To people residing in US of A, for which iPhone is primarily meant can afford them easily due to contracts. Also the fact that Dollar is very high compared to Rupees makes iPhone seem even costlier.

I would rather say Apple seems satisfied with the demographic it's serving it's primary business. Since probably they are the only people who can actually afford to buy paid apps from it's appstore.

Yeah. I wanted to say that. But I thought that the general mentality of the people regarding Apple was the same all over the world, India included.

What I don't like is Apple fanboys making it such that they are suddenly 100% cooler than everyone else because they own an iPhone.

kg11sgbg

Yeah. I wanted to say that. But I thought that the general mentality of the people regarding Apple was the same all over the world, India included.

What I don't like is Apple fanboys making it such that they are suddenly 100% cooler than everyone else because they own an iPhone.

++++++....11111111111111111111111... for this.
The attitude of over showness and arrogance hurts the most.
No problem in owning any Apple Device,No problem being an Apple Fanboy,but the attitude.

- - - Updated - - -

Hence popular in America but not in India.

Top Bottom