Android One Thread

ankush28

Bazinga
Welcome to Digit's Android One Discussion Thread!
*www.android.com/new/images/india/tab-phones.jpg​

What is Android One?
Android One is series of cheap phones by Google targeted for Developing countries like India. At ₹6,200-₹6300 (~$100) rupees you get Android phone with 4.5" screen, Dual cameras, full day battery life and conditional software updates directly from Google(Until hardware supports), All these powered by MediaTek SoC and 1GB of RAM which can easily handle your day-today tasks such as emails, calls, sms and IMs like Whatsapp.

Which manufacturer supports Android One?
Micromax, Spice and Karbonn have released their Android One devices. HTC, Lava, Xolo, Intex, Asus, Alcatel Onetouch, Lenovo, and Panasonic will join Android One program by end of this year.

Why Android One matters?
Google said:
Android One program is its attempt to create affordable smartphones so that billions of people who still use a feature phone can buy a smartphone

What is difference between similarly priced/hardware phone?
Android One uses stock android and gets software update directly from Google. Stock Android offers best performance compare to other manufacturer's themes Android. Airtel is offering free 3G data to update software for FREE.

Where can I buy Android One device?
Headover to Android One Official website

I don't want/can't to buy it online? Is it available in local shops?
Yes you can buy Android One device from local shops, but it will take some time. Google is also planning to promote 30,000 retailers as Android Ambassador.​

Last edited:

SaiyanGoku

kamehameha!!
another one with crap resolution, :(

Google should help xiaomi instead, we'll get better hardware with faster updates. It may also help Xiaomi increase their production rates.

rish1

Cyborg Agent
What the heck is Android One?

Android one is a program started by Google for low cost smartphones.. in which the partner manufacturers will produce phones based on the specifications guidelines given by google and will run on stock Android.. And all the updates will be directly handled by Google itself.. so this way buyers of Android one phones will get guaranteed updates straight from Google..

- - - Updated - - -

Google should help xiaomi instead, we'll get better hardware with faster updates. It may also help Xiaomi increase their production rates.

xiaomi doesn't have the capacity to produce phones in that much quantity.. they don't have offline channels nor have any advertisement campaigns and hardly makes any profit..

google is aiming for 100 % market share from android in low end .. the more they can sell stock android phones the more revenue they can generate through ads and search

online sales are only 5-6 % of total smartphone sales in india that's why other companies aren't bothered by xiaomi or motorola as they follow online strategy only..

theserpent

Firecracker to the moon
Android one is a program started by Google for low cost smartphones.. in which the partner manufacturers will produce phones based on the specifications guidelines given by google and will run on stock Android.. And all the updates will be directly handled by Google itself.. so this way buyers of Android one phones will get guaranteed updates straight from Google..

- - - Updated - - -

xiaomi doesn't have the capacity to produce phones in that much quantity.. they don't have offline channels nor have any advertisement campaigns and hardly makes any profit..

google is aiming for 100 % market share from android in low end .. the more they can sell stock android phones the more revenue they can generate through ads and search

online sales are only 5-6 % of total smartphone sales in india that's why other companies aren't bothered by xiaomi or motorola as they follow online strategy only..

And this 5-6% made motorola 4th largest in India, SONY IS no where in the list

theserpent

Firecracker to the moon
But rish is right,Who buys micromax etc phones?The "un-informed people" and they buy locally not online,So for these phones to sell in large numbers online they have to offer amazing specs like redmi or moto g or so

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
I am glad of two things:
1. Specs actually list "User Memory" of 2.27 GB than just mentioning Total internal memory, which was use to confuse people.
2. Video recording is FHD than just 720p.

But,
1. The battery seems too low at 1700 mAH for a 4.5" device.
2. Doesn't have Glonass, which could provide a poor navigation experience for people on the move.

Also the thing I have noted:
The first Android phone was HTC 'Dream'.
The first Android One phone is 'Dream' UNO. (On purpose?)

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
1. Specs actually list "User Memory" of 2.27 GB than just mentioning Total internal memory, which was use to confuse people.

4GB total space = 3.7GB accessible - 1.5GB for OS+GAAPS = 2.2GB free. pick any mobile with stock android plus no bloatware, the OS & various Google apps/services require around 1.5GB space. requires space will increase if the resolution is higher (Moto G requires 1.9GB for OS). another 1GB for bloatwares (minimum).

1. The battery seems too low at 1700 mAH for a 4.5" device.

no bloatwares (i am assuming this) = less wakelocks. also resolution is 480X854 which isn't as power hungry as say HD.

2. Doesn't have Glonass, which could provide a poor navigation experience for people on the move.

you really think the targetted customers will use GPS on a regular basis, forget GLONASS.

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
^^ All my points was in comparison to the phone I am using right now. I couldn't draw any conclusion on whether you are in favor of the available internal space in this mobile or against.

I compared the battery with the one I have on my O1. 1700 mAH Is low. And including Glonass would have been nice specially with the price of 7K. (Blame Moto E for spoiling).

Btw, you are not going to get this phone are you?

tkin

Back to school!!
1.3 Ghz Mediatek crap as usual! no thanks Google.
Pay more :p

- - - Updated - - -

^^ All my points was in comparison to the phone I am using right now. I couldn't draw any conclusion on whether you are in favor of the available internal space in this mobile or against.

I compared the battery with the one I have on my O1. 1700 mAH Is low. And including Glonass would have been nice specially with the price of 7K. (Blame Moto E for spoiling).

Btw, you are not going to get this phone are you?
I have a G2 and I use GPS very little and I don't use GLONASS at all.

OP
ankush28

ankush28

Bazinga
1. Battery is Li-Po
2. Design is bit Nexus 5ish!
They are giving Flipkart, Flipkart ebooks and Facebook as bloat. Another thing to notice is images on flipkart. They look bit different than PURE android promised by Google :p

- - - Updated - - -

1.3 Ghz Mediatek crap as usual! no thanks Google.

With software optimization from Google.

Moto E(for stock android) and Zenphone 4 are still better alternative. Lets see what Karbonn and Micromax has to offer.

What was point behind starting Spice cloud? :facepalm:

Last edited:

tkin

Back to school!!
While I'm fine with Android one, I son't trust Microcr@p, karbonn, XOLO and all other Indian companies, just for reference: *www.digit.in/forum/service-rma-watch/169297-micromax-company-run-satan-himself.html?highlight=

If they come from Motorola etc I'll buy one any day, but not these companies.

theterminator

Wise Old Owl
brother is using Xolo since 12 months still no lag while using it :shock: while he keeps mocking my iPhone 4 which runs like a Bajaj Priya :-D hanging n crashing all the time

$hadow

Geek in making
I don't prefer indian companies. And as far as price is concerned I would pick moto e over this coz of it is also providing pure android.

amjath

Human Spambot
How good is the Google and mediatek negotiation for drivers for future android updates. We know mediatek is poor in driver support.

Top Bottom