An open letter to opensource and mac users!

Status
Not open for further replies.

soumya

In the zone
I have been a Windows user for the past 6 years. I just wanted to know what I am missing out by using windows and ignoring opensource and mac. Guys, let me know!

mehulved

18 Till I Die............
Give linux a honest try and see, if you like it use it. If you don't your windows is still there. Leave it there. For OS X, go to dealers, ask for a demo and see if you consider it worth it. Better still find some friend who uses mac and try it around a bit and decide for yourself.
Stop this stupidity and fights.

sourav123

Thinking Different
To know what you have been missing out, you have to use Linux or MAC. Also, if you are on Windows, you might be using open source also as there are loads of open source program for Windows like Firefox/OpenOffice/Pidgin and so on.

My advice to you would be to try a Live linux distro (Knoppix preferably) and see what is the fun there. Saying that, to answer your question in one word is that open source is more secure than closed source as anybody can see the code and patches can be released quicker than if it had been otherwise.

Note: Please don't confuse open source and free software. There is no relation between these two.

NucleusKore

TheSaint
Contact a LUG near you
*wikiwikiweb.de/LugsList
Try a live distro like Knoppix as suggested above, Ubuntu 8.04 or OpenSuSE 10.3 live. Please note while live CDs work off the cd without modifying your system, they tend to be SLOW.
Also check out these thread for quick setup should you decide to install.
*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/showthread.php?t=91169
*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/showthread.php?t=91169

hellknight

BSD init pwns System V
Ya.. you can give Linux a try via Live CD's or maybe call a friend who knows how to install it with dual booting windows..For Mac, either go to Aarya, Goobi or download the Leopard Quicktour from Apple's website.. then u can also consider to download the iLife QuickTour... I learnt a lot from those tours about Macs..

Indyan

Here Since 2003
You are asking for opinion hence its a general discussion rather than a topic for debate. So, I am moving it to the chit-chat section.

I am also personally interested in this, as I have installed various distros time and again, only to switch back. I agree though I havent been very patient.
But since I am studying comp engg I need to lean linux, so sure enough would install ubuntu at some point during this year.

ask amitava82.

He:

1. Uses Linux Himself
2. Asks all to install Windows
3. Keeps appriciating how beautiful a mac is

in simple words, he is a multi-fanboy :D

anyway, jokes apart, I advice you to do exactly what mehul told you

see where you are comfortable.

Just for a quick reference:

1. From what my friend, a guy who triple boots his PC with Vista, Leopard and <random_distro-every-week> says, it takes just 1 hour to learn how to use Leopard. Its supposed to be for those who need everything pre-configured, without need to worry about anything. It has lots and lots of eyecandy, lots of things preconfigured, and lots of good software in its er... "market". This includes the two things mac is famous for, iLife and QuickSilver.

2. Windows, for existing windows users, is familiar territory. You know best.

3. Linux is somewhat hard to get used to if you don't study a bit of basics. And you need to start with a newbie usable distro, like Mint, SuSE, Mandriva or Ubuntu. Never install CRUX and expect to come out after a week as a happy person. From personal experience, I think you need to experience hardships for 5 months before you master one of the four Distros above.

4. Ignore fanboys. Fanboys are always loud mouthed users who have high amount of experience in their own OS and consider anything different to be from mars and not sutiable for humans. They are also usually ignorant about other systems.

5. The best way to choose is to test the OSes manually; If you have free time, allot 1 week for a mac and 1 month for linux. Thats a bare minimum.

Most Importantly

Windows is highly customised as it is. I doubt you will ever "miss-out" on anything. Windows Vista, with lots and lots of customisation, can appear to the superficial user just the same as linux or macintosh. It also has hacks to do similar things. So if you want to play safe, I advice you to stick to windows, and start installing stuff like Object Dock, Virtual Desktop, Fluxbox for Windows, custom windows themes, etc in windows. This may take up more resources than usual, but as long as you have a mainstream PC, it makes no difference.

FilledVoid

Who stole my Alpaca!
I have been a Windows user for the past 6 years. I just wanted to know what I am missing out by using windows and ignoring opensource and mac. Guys, let me know!

As mehulved said get a Mac from a friend or go to the store and try it out. If you live near one of the Mac/Linux users give them a visit and try out their PC. If you are interested in Linux get a Live CD and give it a roll. Either way you dont affect your Windows install and hence no downtime.

OP
soumya

soumya

In the zone
Thanks guys for your replies. I just wanted you guys tell me what I am missing out, but you are telling me to find it out myself! No problem.

chandru.in

In the zone
For me one thing which I missed on Windows and enjoyed after moving to Linux (Ubuntu), is the extremely simple application installation and highly streamlined updates.

And of course not having to re-install every 3 months (suffered a lot in XP as some virus would creep in from the USB flash drives I insert, in spite of having anti-virus on).

kumarmohit

Technomancer
I dont know what he is missing by not using Linux. But I know that he is saving a lot of money by not using a Mac!

:D

Kenshin

meowww meoww
I have a dual boot system ie windows + ubuntu . The thing i liked in ubuntu was the one click install thing , although in windows we can download nd install softwares , in ubuntu the list is already there so we just hv to select and click apply. Also there are lots of electronics software (becoz of which i planned on moving to ubuntu).
So the conclusion is that, what I might miss out, you might not really notice....actually depends on ones interest...so its better you try out yourself and check.

goobimama

 Macboy
^You might not realise, but I did give a link to the same thread in my post. For some reason the forum designers thought that making links look exactly the same as normal text would be a better idea...

alter_ego

Who me??
^^Most of the users are youngsters having raging hormones so flamewars will always happen. However IMHO a newbie should never be flamed.

As far as software is concerned you are not missing much. Its only that freshness of trying something else that you may be missing. Frankly I was tired of seeing that same "Start" button everyday. You should give it a try esp. Linux, probably you will be amazed that how much this community has achieved. Sometime you will even wonder why the f^&%$ you paid so much Window$. Try Linux Mint if you have never tried Linux.

Mac is a different world altogether here both hardware & software is tightly controlled. Never tried Mac, they claim to be more innovative with their products. They have invented good eye candy. You pay from your nose for this eye candy and a fruit logo on your machine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom