AMD to be taken over by Nvidia?????

Status
Not open for further replies.

dOm1naTOr

Wise Old Owl
just before AMD acquiring ATI, ATI was losing with a mamoth heat engine-the 2900XT. It was by all means inferior to nvidia counterparts 8800 in performance, price, heat, powerconsumption, drivers everythin.

But now after AMD acquired ATI, ATI is getting better day by day. Now even the worlds most powerful single card is owned by ATI and no more driver issues and ahead of nvidia in technologies like 55nm,DX 10.1, 320shader units, DD4 etc.
And even ATI s gonna release HD 4xxx series this june with DDR5, 640 shader units and lower manufactiring process GPU with 512 bit memory.

And also currently AMD gonna release the 45nm range GPUs developed in collaboration with IBM.

darklord

Cyborg Agent
i used ati x200 and x1350 and x550 as i guess it, the cards easily beated 6200 and 7300GT on my personal machine

You sure about that ? because 7300GT is much more powerful than all the cards mentioned there.

i bought a board for my fathers machine about 2 months back i.e ASUS M2A-VM with x1300 chipset.. the GFx onboard is Ati x1300 and it sucks like hell... it cannot even run most wanted good enough.. while 6200 on board (6100 chipset ) can
I am sure the 690G was much powerful than the 6100 for sure.God knows why you found it to be crappy :confused:

well it gave me a impression that Ati has gone Down in the field of GFX... and now they are going for those X2 cards ,, god help them... no sorry.. NVIDIA help them..

You are judging ATI by all these low end cards that you have mentioned and onboard ? Dude whats wrong with you ?
Seriously, whats wrong with the X2 ? Its a powerful card, FASTEST one money can buy right now,its cheap too. Remember when 8800 Ultra came ? It retailed at around 550-600$
I really dont see what wrong have AMD done since they acquired ATI.
I have been watching ATI since a long time man, since 9800 Pro, 9500Pro days.
They SUCKED big time when it came to launches. After 9800Pro something went wrong, not a single card was launched as announced,reasons for this are best known to ATI.

HD2900 aka R600 was the first high end part ATI released after acquisition.And the delay was because of ATI and not AMD mind you.
If you think ATI is down in dumps, i wonder why all the 3DMark2006 World Records are held by ATI Card ?
Care explaining that ?
For that matter they dominate Single card as well as Multiple card records.

just before AMD acquiring ATI, ATI was losing with a mamoth heat engine-the 2900XT. It was by all means inferior to nvidia counterparts 8800 in performance, price, heat, powerconsumption, drivers everythin.
Wow ! thats a bold statement.
I would have to disagree with you. Agreed that it lost the battle BUT if you have observed the R600 carefully, you will know, specswise its a MONSTER. It had the capabaility of battering the 8800 Ultra,unfortunately it didnt, drivers sucked big time.
R600 showcased memory bandwidth that was never seen before, ever heard of 140 GBps ? R600 did that and even more :)
ATI Ring memory controller is very very efficient too.
R600 suffered due to 80nm Fab process. It was a complex architecture and the 80nm fab process was not the ideal one for that.
If you observe RV670 Pro and RV670XT i.e 3850 and 3870, they share a lot of similarity with the R600, with 55nm Fab process, they showed their potential.

AMD did what ATI couldnt do for so many years, Hard Launch on time and at reasonable price point. the 3870 was Out Of Stock for a long time with many popular US Etailers, clearly indicating their popularity.

These cards again gave people the option of having excellent performance for less money.
This is where Nvidia had been ruling for so many years. AMD hit the sweet spot of strong mid end segment sales with 3850 and 3870.

Also the R600 based FireGL cards used in Workstations are so powerful that whatever Nvidia does, it does not have anything to counter it.
2600XT softmodded into FireGL give performance that can put some 500-1000$ Quadros to shame.

AMD offered mind blowing performance with R600 based FireGL at a price much much lower than Nvidia
Also the brute force of the R600(FireGL) had got Nvidia worried.

I guess this is sufficent to convince you that acquisition of ATI infact helped them.AMD got some lazy asses moving and bring out some very good products that ATI had developed.
So i dont think ATI is down in the dumps. ;)

Just my opinion though.

dOm1naTOr

Wise Old Owl
ATI did 55nm on GPU easily which nvidia cudnt achiev till date.
But AMD failed to achieve 45nm on CPU which Intel did with ease.

AMD cud atlest use 55nm for CPU. And why are they limiting the phenom at 2.6GHz??? I think current 65nm is enuf to buckle atleast around 3.4Ghz.

Its better if IBM acquire AMD than nvidia....Atleast the copetition wud last which favours us-'the end users'

AMD is thinkin to launch 22nm CPu by 2016. Im an AMD fan, but now on hearing this i have only one word "God help them untill 2016":(

And ya, the 2900XT was much ahead of 8800 in paper with massive memory bandwidth, 320 procesing units and ring bus.
But the holy architecture was put into 55nm wafer after AMD got ATI.
I think AMD thinks/thought that inorder to hold the market, putting money on GPU research wud be more productive. So they produced gud GPUs at cost of underpowered CPUs.

And news bout the fuzion nd torenza? i think they said phenom was first step towards fuzion.

darklord

Cyborg Agent
switching architectures of GPUs is comparitively easier.
Its not as easy as you think to move to 55nm from 65nm till 45nm is ready or so.
They are FORCED to limit the Phenom at 2.6GHz
Problem is that the Phenom is a huge die and achieving good yields is a big problem for such complex chips.
Trust me, its a very very complex chip.This explains all the delays and scaling issues.
theit 65nm fab tech isnt perfect either.
The Phenom is quite sensitive chip.
You know, passing 2.2v vdimm on a phenom platform, is good enough to kill the chip.
That sent a shiver down my spine as i am used to pushing 2.4-2.6V through DDR2 modules :p

nvidia

-----ATi-----
But now after AMD acquired ATI, ATI is getting better day by day. Now even the worlds most powerful single card is owned by ATI and no more driver issues and ahead of nvidia in technologies like 55nm,DX 10.1, 320shader units, DD4 etc.
Soon, nvidia will be doomed(I'll have to change my user name again then:D)

And even ATI s gonna release HD 4xxx series this june with DDR5, 640 shader units and lower manufactiring process GPU with 512 bit memory.
:shock::shock:
Awesome!! Can you provide some links with more info regarding this?

x3060

A LOTR fan
so in the end someone please explain , who is going to own ati?

OP
Abheek

Abheek

Broken In
I dont really think this will happen. After reading all this stuff, its not likely that nvidia or ibm will take over AMD. IBM has been trying to pull out of the consumer product market for ages and I see no reason why they would compete against CPU giants AMD or intel, and neither do they want to take over AMD as it is currently in loss. Nvidia wont be allowed for the same old reason, they will also acquire ATI and have complete monopoly. Also the x86 processor stuff is untransferable and so is the intel tech lease agreement. Everything might remain just as it is.:)

Also, AMD announced that they are going back into the profit region by the second half of this year so they might not want to sell out!!

dOm1naTOr

Wise Old Owl
news bout HD 4xxx
*img101.imageshack.us/img101/3770/atirahd4kchartsal7.png
*www.nordichardware.com/news,7356.html

*www.driverheaven.net/ati-graphic-cards/154686-specs-ati-4xxx-series-leaked.html

*forums.gametrailers.com/showthread.php?p=8170494
*forums.vr-zone.com/showthread.php?t=238481

they sports a massive 3.6Ghz 1GB GDDR5!!:shock:

And current HD cards have undergone serious price reduction.
almost 3~4k fr current HD 3850 and 3870.
3870 ll be soon to hit for some 8k or low. And we ll see 3870X2 for sub 20k or even lower.

Last edited:

nvidia

-----ATi-----
The 4870X2 is a killer!
960Shader units!! 1024MB GDDR5. Unreal...

The Conqueror

Elevating Humanity
AMD is very super value though as most games being optimized for NVIDIA this is going to be tough for playing games

dOm1naTOr

Wise Old Owl
4870X2[2 Tflops] has exactly double the processing power than current 3870[1Tflop] X2

goobimama

 Macboy
From what I've heard, ATi's are known to look amazing on paper. But real world is something else...

nvidia

-----ATi-----
^^Thats because 90% of the games made are optimized for nvidia cards.

nvidia

-----ATi-----
Im sure the 4xxx cards will bring a change to the gaming world.. They will beat nvidia...
Btw, i've gotta change my user name to ATI:)):))

dOm1naTOr

Wise Old Owl
@infra
but latest reviews says ATI's new catalysts are stable than ever and absolutely no driver issue, even in crossfire and 3870X2.

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
Its not about stability its about how the drivers exploit the hardware. Situation has improved after AMD took over ATi but it can still be better.

Status
Not open for further replies.