AMD to be taken over by Nvidia?????

Status
Not open for further replies.

Abheek

Broken In
Hi everyone,

My dad recently got some clients from ac** computers. I had requested him to ask them their view on processors, i.e., if they prefered AMD or intel.
I am myself a great AMD fan, and he told my dad that AMD is much better then intel, but is on a shaky ground as the might be taken over by nvidia!?!
Quiet surprised and shocked by this news, I decided to google it. Heres what i found -

'Doug Friedman, an analyst with American Technology Research, said that graphics chip maker Nvidia Corp. could well acquire x86 microprocessor maker Advanced Micro Devices in order to “re-architect it”. The acquisition is considered to be useful due to the fact that roadmaps of AMD and Intel Corp. threat Nvidia. The only problem for the graphics giant is that AMD’s x86 license is a non-transferable one.

“We believe AMD [could] face mounting pressure from shareholders, to restructure the company with a focus on a change in leadership,” said the analyst.

Indeed, shareholders of AMD are hardly pleased with the company’s performance in the recent quarters as well as issues with the launch of quad-core microprocessors and the release of DirectX 10 graphics processing units. Nevertheless, late last year AMD managed to secure $622 million from Mubadala Development Company, which means that there are those who believe in AMD.

But despite of the problems that AMD has had, its roadmap of integration graphics cores into central processing units (CPUs) threats Nvidia: not only AMD increases its market share on the market of graphics adapters, but it transforms graphics solutions into commodity, which may potentially affect Nvidia’s revenues going forward.

“The Intel/AMD roadmap of integration of the CPU/GPU could pose a risk to Nvidia, and buying AMD propels Nvidia into a formidable competitor for Intel with the upside coming from Huang’s ability to re-architect AMD’s design,” said Mr. Friedman.

At press time, AMD’s market capitalization was $3.82 billion and it has $1.89 billion in cash. Nvidia Corp.’s market capitalization at press time was $13.01 billion, besides, the company had $1.85 billion in bank.

Perhaps, Jen-Hsun Huang, the chief executive of Nvidia, could re-architect Advanced Micro Devices in order to make it profitable. However, due to the fact that wide cross-licensing agreement between AMD and Intel, which is also believed to cover x86 instruction set, does not allow AMD to transfer any of Intel’s technologies to any third-party. As a result, if AMD is acquired by Nvidia, the new company will not have rights to produce x86 central processing units (CPUs) or utilize any technologies from Intel.

It is uncertain whether Nvidia, or any other company that has no wide cross-licensing agreement with Intel that covers x86 instruction set, is interested in getting AMD and not interested in making CPUs. But what is almost certain is that various antitrust organizations would be against the two suppliers of discrete GPUs becoming one.'

'Nvidia has just finalized the acquisition of physics processing card manufacturer Ageia and seems to
get ready for yet another merger that will change the IT industry forever. Technology analyst Doug Fredman
has estimated that Nvidia is secretly gearing up in order to buy its competitor AMD. Although the scenario might seem like a bad dream for the industry, it actually makes sense.

The situation has been outlined by many more tech analysts than Fredman. They have reached the conclusion that Nvidia chief Jen-Hsun Huang would make a great CEO for Advanced Micro Devices than its actual chairman, Hector Ruiz. This is simply because Ruiz and his suite have compromised the company's credibility as far as Wall Street analysts and the company's customers are concerned. AMD has done nothing but delay its important products; when they reached the market, they would come as immature and unstable products.

On the other side of the fence, back into Nvidia's courtyard, Huang is regarded like a man that keeps his promise. Nvidia is a company that promotes newer technologies and, at the same time, it mercilessly engulfs competition (for instance, the 3dfx is a good example). The new CEO could perform miracles with the ATI technology, such as morphing them for processor direct access. According to Fredman, a joint corporation born from the Nvidia-AMD merger would mean a fatal blow directed at Intel.

Of course, AMD would not be expected to surrender for a faint price, given the fact that it currently has a $3.7 billion market cap and $3.1 billion in net debt. Nvidia can only cover $1.85 billion in cash and equivalents on its balance sheet, but it has a clean debt slate. Moreover, Nvidia can draw good credit rates and valuable stock, that would pave the road to a part-stock, part-debt acquisition.

The most important obstacle in the merger may be the EU and US regulators, that won't be quite content with ATI and Nvidia joining under the same logo, given the fact that this would lead to a monopoly in the high-end graphics industry.

Although Nvidia seems to be the best thing that could happen to AMD, the chip manufacturer would rather get a proposal from IBM, as rumored some time ago. This is rather likely to happen because IBM has extended resources and deeper roots in jointly developing of technology with Advanced Micro Devices.'

A new logo for AMD??
View attachment 1616
source-news.softpedia.com
xbitlabs.com

Last edited:

Zeeshan Quireshi

C# Be Sharp !
Their Technology will be incorporated into NVidia's . and then EU will fine them every month or so for antitrust and monopolistic business ;)

OP
Abheek

Abheek

Broken In
Amd Merging with nVidia?????? Then what the hell happens to ATi????

Thats a big problem, along with the problem tht intel tech wont be usable due to the pact between AMD and intel and also, and the AMD x86 processor tech is a non transferable one. Read about it in the article.

naveen_reloaded

!! RecuZant By Birth !!
for get about 10 series coming any sooner... no competition ... more money... slow road map slow release of product..///

nvidia

-----ATi-----
No way! This wont happen and this shouldnt be happening..
If nvidia takes over, then even ATI will be a part of nvidia, complete monopoly.

kumarmohit

Technomancer
As a matter of fact if the merger slows the way Gfx cards are introed, it would be the best for us who cannot buy a new gfx card every six months.

Zeeshan Quireshi

C# Be Sharp !
As a matter of fact if the merger slows the way Gfx cards are introed, it would be the best for us who cannot buy a new gfx card every six months.
That's what i was thinking too .

This way there would be a Standard Card for atleast a year and this would make it easier for both developers and gamers.

shantanu

Technomancer
yeah , well whatever it may be ATi was much better, when it was not a AMD corp. , now as i have seen, it sucks.. So if it merges with NVIDIA, both ATi, Nvidia and AMD can come up as something good. and yes as zeshan said, will be good for gamers as well...

summit.nayak

NOT a Fresh Stock
yeah , well whatever it may be ATi was much better, when it was not a AMD corp. , now as i have seen, it sucks.. So if it merges with NVIDIA, both ATi, Nvidia and AMD can come up as something good. and yes as zeshan said, will be good for gamers as well...

i cmpletely agree...
and all of them can create a "tri-fusion" processor+gpu which will give us something to ponder around

Cyrus_the_virus

Unmountable Boot Volume
2 Week old news, don't just google, please search the forums before you post something.

*thinkdigit.com/forum/showthread.php?t=80294

darklord

Cyborg Agent

Eh ? and how exactly was ATI functioning well before AMD acquired it ?:confused:
Infact ironically, AMDs CPU division is down in dumps wheras ATI is doing quite well :)

Gigacore

Dreamweaver
hey wait, few months back, AMD bought ATi... so if nVidia buys AMD, then it means it also acquires ATi !!!

shantanu

Technomancer
i used ati x200 and x1350 and x550 as i guess it, the cards easily beated 6200 and 7300GT on my personal machine :D , i bought a board for my fathers machine about 2 months back i.e ASUS M2A-VM with x1300 chipset.. the GFx onboard is Ati x1300 and it sucks like hell... it cannot even run most wanted good enough.. while 6200 on board (6100 chipset ) can.. well it gave me a impression that Ati has gone Down in the field of GFX... and now they are going for those X2 cards :D ,, god help them... no sorry.. NVIDIA help them..
PS : No offense to anyone..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom