AMD scores 6GHz on Phenom II X3 720 Black Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

sonicspeed

Broken In
AMD Phenom X3(X4 by modding) 720 Black Edition set the world record by 6006.62 MHz using Gigabyte GA-MA790FX-UD5P motherboard. The final score was:

• Core Clock set to 6006.62MHz.
  • Multiplier set to x26.
  • Bus speed 231.02 Mhz.
  • FSB 1155.1 Mhz.
Source: *www.techtrance.net/2009/03/pc-hardware-news/amd-scores-6ghz-on-phenom-ii-x3-720-black-edition/

Last edited:

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
^^ True mate. It's not a world record.
Just do a google search using the word 6GHz

& if you need some reliable news :
*www.tomshardware.com/news/Skulltrail-6GHz-Overclocking,5208.html

How does this 6 GHZ thingie perform? Hope it beats the 2.6 GHZ COre i7
-----------------------------------------
Posted again:
-----------------------------------------

Last edited:

keith_j_snyder2

Rising ApocalypsE
Yeah it ain't a world record. The world record is 8GHZ on Intel P4(Cedarmill) but it's way too much Ocing capability for a processor which costs less than 8K & perfect for an affordable setup.
Heck even i bought my 3200+ for 9350/- 3 years ago & this is waaaaaaaaaaayyyyy better than my processor.

I m sure whoever overclocked it used Ln2 but it can be easily clocked at 3.8GHz with air cooling & as the news says it can be turned to a quad core processor.
Overall, with this price point & future proof capabilities, this is perfect competitor for Core2 Duo for the same price range.

It will be a misjudgment for this processor if it is compared with Core i7.

Right now, Phenom II X4 920 is the hottest product around. It has 4 cores without hacking, and overclocks to 4.3GHz on air cooling and its price has dropped to 138$ :shock:

comp@ddict

EXIT: DATA Junkyard
Right now, Phenom II X4 920 is the hottest product around. It has 4 cores without hacking, and overclocks to 4.3GHz on air cooling and its price has dropped to 138$
Any confirmation? Source?

And what about the P2 940 B.E. then?

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
What ! 4.3 Ghz on air cooling. Where ? In syberia ? What's the ambient temp ? What's the idle & load temps ?Phenom 2 reaches hardly 3.5 Ghz stable max if I'm not wrong.
Yeah. I also want to know the source of 4.3Ghz on air cooling ?

comp@ddict

EXIT: DATA Junkyard
Wait:-
1. P2 920 is indeed 138$, with in-mail rebate if ordered from newegg.
1. P2 920 can be OCed to 3.75GHz on stock cooling, verified.
Just google^

amitash

Intel OCer
It will in gaming and other single or dual threaded benchmarks, but there is no point, to beat an i7 you want to go LN2 cooling and 6Ghz? I will be impressed if it beats it at stock speed....In multithreaded benchmarks that support all 8 of nehalems threads, i think the core i7 may still edge ahead.

What ! 4.3 Ghz on air cooling. Where ? In syberia ? What's the ambient temp ? What's the idle & load temps ?Phenom 2 reaches hardly 3.5 Ghz stable max if I'm not wrong.
Yeah. I also want to know the source of 4.3Ghz on air cooling ?

If its not stable, its not an overclock....I had OC'd my i7 to 4.2Ghz on stock cooling but there was no point....Now on W/C i can get it max stable at 3.9Ghz

P2 920 can be OCed to 3.75GHz on stock cooling, verified.
Just google^
so? i7-920 can be ocd to 3.3-3.4 on stock cooling stably....beats amd, it will still take them time to come bak.

hellknight

BSD init pwns System V
I'm going for the Phenom II 720 BE processor with Jetway HA 07 Ultra mobo and Asus Silent Knight cooler.. i think that i should be able to reach 4 GHz easily with that cooler.. any suggestions guys..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom