AMD Phenom II X6 vs Intel Core i5

J

Joker

if anything,the performance of a 6core processor would increase over the period of time compared to 4core processor as more applications n games would start supporting more cores n become multithreaded optimized....

SlashDK

MV VIP to the MAX
1075t's availability is still an issue. Hopefully it will be in retail for 12k in a couple of weeks

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
1) Shopkeepers and Retailers are idiots, especially in India. This is the reason why we have tech forums. However, good shops exist too. Don't forget, this is the same India where Shopkeepers and Retailers sell 1000w PSUs for Rs. 1200.

:agreed:

2) Performance degrading over a period of time? I'm having a laugh. A chip is a non-mechanical machine. It is NOT something whose performance would decrease over a period of time like a car.

actually its kind of true. performance do degrade. the transistors & the cache memories starts to fail over time but to see noticeable difference one need to keep using a processor for 5yrs+, that too on heavy apps to make all the circuits utilize fully. but if the performance degrade is valid for AMD as well as Intel processors cause Intel don't use some unbreakable or some super circuits & transistors that are not prone to getting damage.

3) Electronics gadgets always sell at the price they are worth. If a particular gadget is good, then a well-notified-aware-buyer will always offer the perfect price for it. You need to sell the right things at the right places.

err price? :-?

5) Every company has had their share of good and bad processors. AMD Athlon XP and Intel Pentium 4 Northwood being two examples of notoriously heating processors from both the companies.

my 2nd PC running P4 Prescott @ 3Ghz hits 60degree with ease during normal usage.

pulkitpopli2004

Cyborg Agent
1) Shopkeepers and Retailers are idiots, especially in India. This is the reason why we have tech forums. However, good shops exist too. Don't forget, this is the same India where Shopkeepers and Retailers sell 1000w PSUs for Rs. 1200.

2) Performance degrading over a period of time? I'm having a laugh. A chip is a non-mechanical machine. It is NOT something whose performance would decrease over a period of time like a car.

3) Electronics gadgets always sell at the price they are worth. If a particular gadget is good, then a well-notified-aware-buyer will always offer the perfect price for it. You need to sell the right things at the right places.

4) AMD Phenom II X6 hexacore processors are excellent. They easily beat Core i5 750/760 in multithreaded tasks like rendering/conversion etc. whereas perform lower in gaming. AMD's motherboards are cheaper which also allows you to invest in a better graphic card if you have budget restraints compared to Intel. If you don't have any budget problem, then Intel Core i7 is the way to go.

5) Every company has had their share of good and bad processors. AMD Athlon XP and Intel Pentium 4 Northwood being two examples of notoriously heating processors from both the companies.

1. yeah i agree they have least knowledge abt such things.. i need to find sum gud shopkeeper/retailer.. do u knw ne specific in delhi>??

2. I think u shud give a thought once again if u have studied electronics.. kk first do u agree dat AMD rigs emit more heat dan oders???
n either device is mechanical or electronics.. dere is always sum performance degradation.. in case of mechanical u can feel easily bt in case of non-mechanical its nt d same..

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
^^ SMC International, Nehru Place.

the 2nd point is not correct. an AMD rig never emits more heat. just the old AMD processors used to heat up like hell. & yes AMD's fan is small so heat can be an issue sometimes. but for most of the time AMD as well as Intel rig are well cooled by the stock fan to be in normal temperature. mine works at 25-45 degree. when in idle & gaming.

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
actually its kind of true. performance do degrade. the transistors & the cache memories starts to fail over time but to see noticeable difference one need to keep using a processor for 5yrs+, that too on heavy apps to make all the circuits utilize fully. but if the performance degrade is valid for AMD as well as Intel processors cause Intel don't use some unbreakable or some super circuits & transistors that are not prone to getting damage.
Those problems only arise when a chip gets heated over the critical temperature on a continuous basis throughout its life or due to power surges. Only then transistors will fail on a large scale. I'm talking about optimum conditions. And the chip technology now isn't what it was 10 years ago. It is really arbitary to think NOW that the performance will degrade.

err price? :-?
Right place for the right price.

my 2nd PC running P4 Prescott @ 3Ghz hits 60degree with ease during normal usage.
I had a Northwood which I had bought 8 years ago. I know the problems which I faced. The computer finally died a year ago. :(

I think u shud give a thought once again if u have studied electronics..
n either device is mechanical or electronics.. dere is always sum performance degradation.. in case of mechanical u can feel easily bt in case of non-mechanical its nt d same..
After 6-7 years?

Under optimum conditions, a chip would function the way it should. There is hardly any "degradation" in 2 years or even 5 years.

Last edited:
J

Joker

most of the performance decrease which ppl feel is because of apps becoming heavy,not due to proccy get slow.

sujoyp

Grand Master
I am using an Intel P4 2.8Ghz Northwood for last 7 years and temperature goes to 50 degree in normal conditions...but still working properly without fail:p

OP
D

-=[DDS]=-

G!ZMo FReeK
HEY ppl Thanks TO u All for your Reply.
i'Ve bought my new System @ 31800
AMD PHENOM II X6 1055T
GIGABYTE GA-880GM-UD2H
TAG SAPPHIRE with 4D SMPS
KINGSTON 4GB DDR3 UNGANGED
SONY DVD WRITER 24x

S_V

In the zone
what do u think about its AMD performance after a 1yr or 2yr.. it gets degraded very soon which is nt in d case of intel i5 it will give u almost same performance....

usually I don't comment much but in this case i couldn't stop myself laughing at you.. you are one Ignorant person i have never ever seen in forums.....

It's not the processors (Intel or AMD) degrades, Operating system performance degrades if not taken care ..... Many Dumb local shops tell these crap based on OS...

I am using an Intel P4 2.8Ghz Northwood for last 7 years and temperature goes to 50 degree in normal conditions...but still working properly without fail:p

Same here, It's my First own system and still it's performing same how it did in his prime years...

-=[DDS]=-;1326422 said:
HEY ppl Thanks TO u All for your Reply.
i'Ve bought my new System @ 31800
AMD PHENOM II X6 1055T
GIGABYTE GA-880GM-UD2H
KINGSTON 4GB DDR3 UNGANGED
SONY DVD WRITER 24x

Congrats mate... That's one heck of a processor. Enjoy it.
can u please post your Winrar benchmark Test score whenever possible.. I am kind of freak to estimate the performance based on that score... Intel i5 750 Scores 2758 (W7 64bit Ultimate, 4GB Ram, winrar 4. beta 4).

Last edited:
OP
D

-=[DDS]=-

G!ZMo FReeK
Congrats mate... That's one heck of a processor. Enjoy it.
can u please post your Winrar benchmark Test score whenever possible.. I am kind of freak to estimate the performance based on that score... Intel i5 750 Scores 2758 (W7 64bit Ultimate, 4GB Ram, winrar 4. beta 4).

i Would love to do so, but i have few problems, hope u can solve it :
1} how do i benchmark it ???
2} even if i have 4gb ram it says 2.75gb usable
*i54.tinypic.com/dsf0l.jpg

khmadhu

change is constant!!
-=[DDS]=-;1326483 said:
*i54.tinypic.com/dsf0l.jpg

Because of 32bit operating system its shows around 3GB only.. better upgrade to 64 bit OS..

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
No idea why all the reviewers use WinRAR time/benchmark to compare processor performance. Not even properly multithreaded. 7zip benchmark is much much better - gives the right picture.

-=[DDS]=-;1326483 said:
32bit Operating Systems can't use 4GB RAM. Use Windows 7 64bit.

-=[DDS]=-;1326422 said:
What do you mean by this? :) Which PSU did you buy?

Last edited:

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
first of all congrats. nice system. now click & upload some pics.

-=[DDS]=-;1326483 said:
1} how do i benchmark it ???

3DMark Vantage is a good one.

-=[DDS]=-;1326483 said:

3.25Gb usable if you are using 32bit OS. but maybe 512Mb is taken by the IGP of the motherboard but still doesn't makes much sense cause it should take from the remaining memory.

S_V

In the zone
No idea why all the reviewers use WinRAR time/benchmark to compare processor performance. Not even properly multithreaded. 7zip benchmark is much much better - gives the right picture.

Yeah, agree 7zip too but did u tried winrar 4 beta's . They are very good in multi-threading...
7zip is very sensitive with systems. Speeds differ in same config... which is not good to consider for Benchmark.. Winrar gives clear picture about processor Speed....

@=[DDS]=

Run Winrar and Press Alt + B and wait for sec's to display "Resulting, K/B's"

Also you should stick to 64bit platform in order to use more than 3-4GB....

OP
D

-=[DDS]=-

G!ZMo FReeK
Hey thanks
My score is 2695 (Win 7 32-bit,Winrar 3.93)
Might change if i install 64-bit

What do you mean by this? :) Which PSU did you buy?

4D SMPS (Power Supply)
4D IS THE MANUFACTURER like Corsair, CoolerMaster, etc
& it is of 500W

Last edited:

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
7zip is very sensitive with systems. Speeds differ in same config... which is not good to consider for Benchmark.. Winrar gives clear picture about processor Speed....
Sorry, I completely disagree here.

-=[DDS]=-;1326656 said:
4D SMPS (Power Supply)
4D IS THE MANUFACTURER like Corsair, CoolerMaster, etc
& it is of 500W
How much did it cost? Is it 80 Plus certified?

Last edited:
Top Bottom