AMD now worth less than it paid for ATI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pathik

Google Bot
AMD reached its lowest share price for more than four years last week and, as a result, its market value dropped to around US$5 billion – that's $400 million less than it paid for ATI in July 2006.

Intel, AMD’s major competitor in the CPU business, has been on a roll for the past 18 months and is now worth around US$162 billion, which makes the chip giant more than 32 times the size of AMD in monetary terms.

Even worse for AMD is that its partner-cum-archrival, Nvidia, has a market cap of around $19 billion, which makes it almost four times as valuable as the struggling platform company.

It’s fair to say things haven’t been going well for AMD since the middle of last year, as its two major rivals launched products that remain largely uncontested even today. Neither the Core 2 Extreme QX6700 nor the GeForce 8800 GTX have been truly surpassed in terms of performance yet and it’s not going to happen until next year.

There are no two ways about it: the Phenom launch was a disappointment. This was largely down to the fact that the company found an erratum in the L3 cache Translation Lookup Buffer, which could cause serious system instabilities in certain scenarios and it prevented the company from launching a 2.4GHz Phenom CPU at the eleventh. AMD issued a TLB fix to motherboard manufacturers to implement into their BIOSes and when the results for the TLB fix came out, it wasn’t pretty.

This wasn’t all that disappointed us about the Phenom launch though, as AMD also prevented all but a select few publications from running their own independent benchmarks on the new CPUs before the launch. I don’t think there was any malice in that choice personally, but it didn’t really help AMD’s street cred when, come launch day, reviews were few and far between.

It’s not all doom and gloom though, because I consider the Radeon HD 3800-series’ launch to have been a success, even though there is a shortage of hardware in the channel at the moment.

Let’s hope that AMD’s fortunes in 2008 change for the better because as an industry we need AMD to continue to innovate and deliver great choice to consumers. In recent times, we wouldn’t have had great products like the GeForce 8800 and Core 2, if it wasn' for AMD's forward-thinking innovations like the Athlon 64 and Radeon X1900-series, which were class leading products at their time of introduction (and continued to be class-leading for much of their lives).

Source

Amd ki to Lag gai.. :(

praka123

left this forum longback
it is sad that if intel become the monopoly as it does before :(
AMD,Intel sucks with their go for DRM'ed Processors!(
transmeta too :x even GPU's too gonna have DRM :x now,where is freedom :(

vish786

"The Gentleman"
This is AMD's Silence before storm... wait & watch. :-|

offtopic:
@praka123, cool man.... I 2 like kishoredas,rafis,mukeshs songs. :)

fun2sh

Pawned!... Beyond GODLIKE
bechara AMD!!

n praka y u keep sayin processor wil be DRM'ed?? :sad:

aisa mat bol bhai nahi to anarth ho jaega :cry: kahin intel wale tera post padh kar sach me na karde ye suckin drm thing!!

I have AMD proccy in my home computer and i have absolutely no grief about it. It works nice and comes for nearly half the price of an Intel one. I wont buy Intel chips in future after what they have done with 915 graphics chip, about Vista drivers. At least they must recognize that they are where they are because of their customers. Yes technology advancement they make are worth, but not at 'any' cost.

x3060

A LOTR fan
yeah . . damn DRM is soon going to hit the proc . . so , am not selling my old comp :). suddenly , old is becoming gold . . and then , come on AMD we need competition :).

praka123

left this forum longback
if DRM is implemented in each and everything in the "US" style,soon these monopolistic corporates are gonna lose everything.In software's M$ and in hardware companies like intel,amd & Co who want to implement DRM in processors itself :( now even hard disks by WD came with DRM.

Fsck this DMCA of USA.what fair user right?those who buy the hardware or software are the owners of it.completely=is called freedom.not some agreements like software giants does with EULA.no one care to read EULA just click,accept and go :rolleyes:

I think Hollywood movie companies and their RIAA etc are intimidating these companies to enforce DRM on their Hardware.though with software-ie,windows Vista,it is M$ who jumped into to get a grip earlier,as these protagonists thinks they can enforce DRM on all users.

US is leading everything,there laws are not for common man,but for corporates like M$,Intel etc.wth?even EU is not prohibiting DRMed H/W and software!DRMed Music!DRMed Operating Systems(vista),DRMed Processor,harddisk,Blu-ray/HD-DVD players!

wow so much they have to offer for customers.they want to get more money and these corporates got hands on every government laws I think in USA :x

drgrudge

Another Brick in the Wall
goobimama said:
That's it. I'm buying AMD from now on. Down with Intel...
Apple Macs are powered by Intel. :| Slowly they'll phase out PPC proccy.

I'm happy that my cousin is going to a Toshiba Laptop powered by AMD! For the same cost (around $650) we get a better configuration than their Intel counterparts.

AMD/ATi, FTW!

kumarmohit

Technomancer
goobimama said:
That's it. I'm buying AMD from now on. Down with Intel...

It wont be AMD if you want El Jobso's computers, my boy!

And as for AMD going down, they have been made a right royal mess because of Phenom. I guess they should abandon the thing and restart from scratch. So just when ATI is able to set its house in order, now it is AMD in trouble.

shantanu

Technomancer
hey praka ! don't mind, but really it feels sick to hear DRM DRM all around.. ok it is bad, but i guess you yourself are DRMed.. see your posts atleast 9 among 10 contains DRM.. ?

fun2sh

Pawned!... Beyond GODLIKE
are usne half of his post count windows ko gali dene me n drm drm drm drm bol kar logon ko darane me banaya hai!!!

BETA SO JA NAHI TO DRM AA JAEGA :mrgreen:

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
[offtopic]
^^ abye half is DRM DRM and the other half is anti-MS links :D
[/offtopic]

goobimama

 Macboy
Keeping Macs aside (I don't really care 'whats inside', it's a mac to me.), I do buy PC components now and then for the office. Recently I was going in for an Intel C2D, but I guess I'll buy an AMD for a change.

As for Praka and his DRM, I love it! At least one guy is willing to stand up against these DRMers. I bet you, in five years time, when everything is monopolised and DRM'ed, you guys will remember what the guy with the cat avatar said...

praka123

left this forum longback
Yeah goobi you said it :) and shantonu,DRM means not anti-ms,but anti-vista :D,it is some people who feels for it.afterall you or me are not the owners of these monopoly companies!.you may be working for them heh?
....and humans have this tendancy of worshipping nature powers like Lightning(which can struck!),snakes(which can bite!) etc,same theory goes with Monopolies like these companies who makes use of the same worship of power now known as fanboyism ";)" and in OS market it is Mycrosoft!.it is human to worship something fearful! :D

yeah...am not so good in expressing ideas in English.but hope ya all got it ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom