Transistor Count 3.2B
Manufacturing Process TSMC 28nm
1x6,1x8 pin power, TDP 250W
Price Point $369US

AMD Radeon HD 7970 (28nm) Southern Islands - Overclockers Australia Forums

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
re: AMD HD7970 specs - Eraly Predictions

SP no is almost doubled. but if you keep the die size at 380mm (HD6970), it looks possible.

Skud

Super Moderator
Staff member

Only things that look certain are the RAM, memory bus width and manufacturing process and may be the PCI-e power connectors. ;)

Skud

Super Moderator
Staff member

My guess is shader count will be 2000 or a little higher. We will know in another 6 months.

tkin

Back to school!!

My guess is shader count will be 2000 or a little higher. We will know in another 6 months.
Yeah, I think that will be 2048 around, temps will be lesser, production should start on 1H 2012, so like first quarter or 2nd quarter of 2012. Should we survive that :grin:

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
Re: AMD HD7970 specs - Eraly Predictions

^^ with 28nm fab they may OC even better ;-)

baccilus

Cyborg Agent
Re: AMD HD7970 specs - Eraly Predictions

With 28nm fab, shouldn't TDP be lower? It is 250 W here which looks dubious.

Cilus

laborare est orare
But as per the xbitlab, AMD 7 series is gonna have same VLIW4 design, not the architecture they have showcased. Their 8000 series is gonna have the (scalar+Vector) architecture.

OP
Jaskanwar Singh

Jaskanwar Singh

Aspiring Novelist
tkin 6970 had less shader count than expected because Cayman was originally designed for 32nm fab. but due to probs or whatever amd had to move to 40nm and thus had to give up on SIMDs and pcie 3.0 support etc etc.

you may read detail here -
AnandTech - AMD's Radeon HD 6970 & Radeon HD 6950: Paving The Future For AMD

comp@ddict

EXIT: DATA Junkyard
I wouldn't be surprised when the 3048 SPs gget magically converted to

some xx CUs (compute units, to the guys who don't read much)

tkin

Back to school!!
tkin 6970 had less shader count than expected because Cayman was originally designed for 32nm fab. but due to probs or whatever amd had to move to 40nm and thus had to give up on SIMDs and pcie 3.0 support etc etc.

you may read detail here -
AnandTech - AMD's Radeon HD 6970 & Radeon HD 6950: Paving The Future For AMD
If TSMC screwed with the 40nm fab, ditched the 32nm fab, what makes you sure they will deliver 28nm just perfectly in time, afaik intel has still not gone to 22nm mass production, I'd say 2H 2012 before any high end 28nm gpus come to market, amd and nvidia will start off with lower ends first, to test the viability of the process.

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
WAIT. if HD7990 = HD7970X2 = 6098SP. how is it 6400SP? lets wait for some slides to leak.

If TSMC screwed with the 40nm fab, ditched the 32nm fab, what makes you sure they will deliver 28nm just perfectly in time

arre, AMD has designed it like this. how many of these cluster function well is something we'll see later. surely there will be manufacturing defects, harvesting & the usual fab keywords here.

tkin

Back to school!!
WAIT. if HD7990 = HD7970X2 = 6098SP. how is it 6400SP? lets wait for some slides to leak.

arre, AMD has designed it like this. how many of these cluster function well is something we'll see later. surely there will be manufacturing defects, harvesting & the usual fab keywords here.
I'm not talking about AMD, I'm talking about TSMC, they screwed up the entire plans for AMD, so I am not so much hopeful for 28nm from them, unless glofo steps in.

whats the ETA on this? any guess?
Dec 2011 for low end 28nm(atleast), the high end will come around 2nd quarter 2012 or later.

rajan1311

Padawan
aww dude....you ruined it....I was really hoping it would come by Oct so I can finally grab one on my Bday..
You sure on the 2012 launch (going all out this time ;) ) ?

Top Bottom