AMD HD7000 (Southern Islands) Series GPU’s Revealed through Catalyst 11.7

Jaskanwar Singh

Aspiring Novelist
AMD HD7000 (Southern Islands) Series GPU's Revealed through Catalyst 11.7

AMD’s upcoming HD7000 Series (Southern Islands) GPU details have been leaked through Catalyst 11.7. We already detailed AMD’s next generation Graphics Architecture here which would be used inside the upcoming 7000 series cards.

According to the chart, AMD is looking forward to release a new Dual Chip based card based on the NewZealand Core named HD 7990 which would be its next Flagship card. Single chip based High end GPU’s would consist of Tahiti XT based HD7970 and Tahiti Pro based HD7950 which are replacements for the Antilles based HD6970/6950 graphics cards.

Thames XT (HD7870) and Thames Pro (HD7850) as the name suggest would replace the Barts based HD 6850/6870. Thames LE (HD 7790) would be a replacement for the Barts LE based 6790 Mid-End card. Lower end models to replace the Turks based HD6670/6650 consist of HD7670/HD 7570 based on Lombok Core. You can check out the chart below for more details:

Clock and GPU models would be detailed in a few months since AMD is planning to release the cards by Q4 2011. Nvidia has also started working on its Kepler based GPU’s and is also aiming for a Q4 2011 release.

*img18.imageshack.us/img18/3739/southernislandsnc.jpg

vickybat

I am the night...I am...
Excellent find jas. The 7series cards are certainly gonna be powerhouses. My next gpu will either be 7 series or kepler, whichever performs better.

Amd's lineup looks very strong and nvidia needs to come up with something radically different in order to compete with amd's new architecture based gpu's.

max_snyper

Maximum Effort!!!!!!
good info "jas" hey BTW are they gonna add some new technology in the southern island series such as ray tracing,improvisation in tessalation in mid-high cards or its gonna be just die shrink for the current series.

tkin

Back to school!!
good info "jas" hey BTW are they gonna add some new technology in the southern island series such as ray tracing,improvisation in tessalation in mid-high cards or its gonna be just die shrink for the current series.
Nothing major, ray tracing is not a technology, and its too demanding even for 28nm gpus, I sense cooler cards, and also 2k Shader count for AMD and 700ish shaders for nvidia, performance should go up by 20% average at same clock speed.

OP
Jaskanwar Singh

Jaskanwar Singh

Aspiring Novelist
September to October, I'm telling you, either the HD7900 or HD7800 series releases (HD7900 most probably).

This is gonna be epic, lets see if CU makes any improvements in "gaming" over VLIW-4D

i think Q4 starts from October and till December!
Calendar year - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

so it can be any of those months.

(just joking man! :-D)

Excellent find jas. The 7series cards are certainly gonna be powerhouses. My next gpu will either be 7 series or kepler, whichever performs better.

Amd's lineup looks very strong and nvidia needs to come up with something radically different in order to compete with amd's new architecture based gpu's.

thanks guys.

Last edited:

nilgtx260

Maximum Craze
yo guys, it's a general knowledge, each quarter means 3 months, so Q4 means OCT to DEC, I am thrilled now ;)

comp@ddict

EXIT: DATA Junkyard
i think Q4 starts from October and till December!

No kidding, but all rumour keep shouting September.

And a historic moment September too, for it was DX11 launch with full 40nm hardware(HD4770 was a test drive), the majestic HD5800 series if we remember, 2 years ago.

*semiaccurate.com/2011/06/29/amd-southern-islands-possible-for-september/

vickybat

I am the night...I am...
^^ Looking forward to 7 series. Heard that they are rumoured to give around twice the performance of the current 6 series line up courtesy the new unamed architecture.

That means a 7850 thames gpu might provide close to a 6850 cf bart chips. If this is possible, then expect some radical improvements in gpu computations.

masterkd

Padawan
eagerly waiting for 7 series..if nvidia doesn't come up with something better its definitely my next buy..i hope linux drives become better too!!

vickybat

I am the night...I am...
^^ Nvidia too is coming with its kepler architecture which they will disclose in a couple of months( most probably).

So the fight will commence again between these two heavyweights.

comp@ddict

nVidia Kepler got taped out a few days ago.

Expect to see rumours of working samples in 4 months and a launch(if all goes well, unlike Fermi), in 6-8 months.

tkin

Back to school!!
Yea...just read that...quenched a lot of questions in a lot on minds ;)
Hope it helped, most people say OMG!! 5850>>>4850, but do not compare the price.

One more example:

Launch Price of 5850 was 259$, it was selling for 270$ after launch

Launch Price of 6950 was 299$.

Here's the bench: AnandTech - Bench - GPU11

See what I mean? 6950 improved tessellation but that's all it did.

comp@ddict

See what I mean? 6950 improved tessellation but that's all it did.

It brought greater performance per watt, a huge HUGE increase, and under the same 40nm manufacturing process.

Plus, output per mm^2 increased.

So I think HD6950 did a LOT over HD5850.

Top Bottom