AMD HD7000 (Southern Islands) Series GPU’s Revealed through Catalyst 11.7

tkin

Back to school!!
It brought greater performance per watt, a huge HUGE increase, and under the same 40nm manufacturing process.

Plus, output per mm^2 increased.

So I think HD6950 did a LOT over HD5850.
What do we indians(and most other people) think before buying the GPU? Performance per dollar(or INR), and in that regard 6950 brought how much to the table?

Output/mm2 increased right? So they intentionally made the chip smaller to give less output that it could have given if the chip size remained same as 5850, so there you go.

comp@ddict

EXIT: DATA Junkyard
What do we indians(and most other people) think before buying the GPU? Performance per dollar(or INR), and in that regard 6950 brought how much to the table?
Haha yeah performance per dollar/rupees true.

Strictly speaking to that respect, HD6850 is the top VFM not HD6950(check charts in every review site)

Output/mm2 increased right? So they intentionally made the chip smaller to give less output that it could have given if the chip size remained same as 5850, so there you go.

No, HD6950s die is 389mm^2 AFAIR(remember), and HD5850 is 334mm^2.

But at the cost of increased die space, AMD incorporated 2x the tessellation engines, and increased performance too, although HD5870 and HD6950 are close in performance, HD6950 still leads, and the DX11 performance, which is crucial for next gen, has been considerably improved. Overall, HD6900 and HD6800 series are an epic win for AMD.

nilgtx260

Maximum Craze
^^ I agree on that, if you compare dx11 performance of AMD vs NVIDIA, AMD has improved a lot with their new HD 68xx/69xx series.

comp@ddict

EXIT: DATA Junkyard
^^ I agree on that, if you compare dx11 performance of AMD vs NVIDIA, AMD has improved a lot with their new HD 68xx/69xx series.

Yeah HD6800 Barts is a real winner man, fewer transistors, much smaller die size, yet comparable performance to HD5800, winner man winner.

HD6900 series was kinda like a test of VL4WD, much like HD4770 was a test of 40nm.

AcceleratorX

Youngling
AMD had better fix their AF quality issues in the HD 7000 series. The Radeons are right now huge value for money, but a bug definitely exists in the AF implementation and it's disappointing to see the output compared to an NVIDIA card in the very few games that have a noticeable difference (i.e. 90% of games are not affected).

Having used both the 5000 series and the Fermi GPUs, I can say for sure that Fermi produces better AF. Of course, the 6850 still doesn't have a proper competitor yet. AMD is extreme VFM (NVIDIA has GTX 460 but it's really hit and miss because the performance relative to the 6850 depends on the game....).

Last edited:

tkin

Back to school!!
AMD had better fix their AF quality issues in the HD 7000 series. The Radeons are right now huge value for money, but a bug definitely exists in the AF implementation and it's disappointing to see the output compared to an NVIDIA card in the very few games that have a noticeable difference (i.e. 90% of games are not affected).

Having used both the 5000 series and the Fermi GPUs, I can say for sure that Fermi produces better AF. Of course, the 6850 still doesn't have a proper competitor yet. AMD is extreme VFM (NVIDIA has GTX 460 but it's really hit and miss because the performance relatie to the 6850 depends on the game....).
AF is fixed with 69xx series, I had used 3d filter tester and verified on my friends pc.

OP
Jaskanwar Singh

Jaskanwar Singh

Aspiring Novelist
We got word that Kepler, Nvidia's successor to Fermi architecture and its first 28nm part won’t launch until Q1 2012.

Our sources from the Far East are telling us that it’s the maturity of the 28nm process is to blame and that the chip could theoretically make it to very late Q4 2011 launch, but sources close to company are telling them that it would not make much sense to launch it that late in the quarter.

ATI is still on schedule to launch its 28nm chip in 2011, other sources are telling us, and ATI’s chip will be affected by the same issues, mainly the poor yields of the 28nm process. Even if ATI launches in 2011, very late Q3 or first half of Q4 2011 were the dates that we’ve heard, the chip wont really be massively available until some point in 2012.

Transitioning to a new process in the graphics word is always painful, and it took TSMC a lot to go from 65nm to 40nm and now, they are again faced with a difficult transition to 28nm and bad yields for quarters to come.

Kepler 28nm to launch in Q1 2012

AFAIK tkin made a point about 28nm sometime back ;-)

tkin

Back to school!!
All I said was when a die shrink happens, unless its from their own fabs, companies do not start production with high/mid range parts, they start with low ends like for 55nm 9800GTX+(not the GT2xx series), and for 40nm amd's 4770 or GT2xx series from nvidia, then move to high/mid end models, and lastly ultra high end models, all you guys remember 58xx series, and all of you remember how supply was constraint for the first few months, a very few 58xx specially 5850 came to the market regularly and got swiped in an hour or so(new egg, tiger direct etc).

So I expect, low end/mobile 28nm gpus to launch by october this year, something like 7770 or 7850/7870 to replace 6850/6870 with 20-30% performance boost max, then later by dec-feb 2012 the rest will launch, ultra high ends(7990) comes last.

And also remember for same price point you will not get more than 30% boost at a time, so you can expect 570/6970 like performance for 15k in first round.

Omi

-=[-_-]=-
I guess I will wait, its too tempting!
AMD's new cpu and 7xxx

The Southern Island family is to enter mass production in May 2011,[6] with the first samples shown at the AMD Fusion Development Summit (June 13-16, 2011).[7] AMD plans to release the first Southern Islands cards in 2011.[8] Some sources speculate as early as September, though "2011" is the only official news.
Source Wiki

Last edited:

Skud

Super Moderator
Staff member
Are they going to release BD and HD 7xxx at the same time? That would be highly interesting.

Omi

-=[-_-]=-
That's highly possible, or may be very shortly after, also their comics show Ruby with all the others (I know its preety lame to draw conclusion from a comic but whats bad in speculating :-D )

Skud

Super Moderator
Staff member
I remember they were doing all these sort of things back in Athlon 64 days also. Hope the product will be such good.

Skud

Super Moderator
Staff member
I know, I was specifically asking about the HD 7000, as there are speculations that AMD might release them in September.

Omi

-=[-_-]=-
AMD Southern Islands and Nvidia Kepler May Use Different 28nm Processes

Initially, both of these chips were supposed to be built using the 28nm HKMG high-performance processes, but it seems like TSMC is having some issues with it and that it won't be available until the first quarter of 2012.

As a result, AMD apparently switched to 28nm HPL for Southern Islands, which is also based on the HKMG technology but is tuned for low power.

According to Chipworks, this process is what Xilinx used for its 28nm Kintex-7 FPGA device, AMD will also follow a similar route with the Radeon HD 7000 product family.

On the other side of the fence, Nvidia is apparently forced to stick with the high-performance version of TSMC's 28nm HKMG fabrication process for Kepler as their chip designs rely on high shader clock speeds, that can't be achieved by using 28nm HPL.

Might be a reason for so few reveals of Kepler

Another News From Xbitlabs
AMD Vows to Beat Nvidia with First 28nm GPUs on the Market

Last edited:

Skud

Super Moderator
Staff member
I got only this:

AMD Radeon HD 7000 Series to be PCI-Express 3.0 Compliant | techPowerUp

Top Bottom