AMD Driver Issues

radeon6950

Broken In
try this
type cmd in windows search and right click cmd prompt and run as administrator
once in command prompt, type sfc /scannow.

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
I think I've resolved my issue - here's what i did ;-)

1. Updated Windows using auto update and installed all the critical and non critical updates.
2. Running cpu at stock volt - previously I've under volted the cpu to save power and keep it more cool.
3. Installed driver from manufacturers website - the latest version there is 11.12 but as long as it works it's fine for me.

Now it's time to find what actually caused the issue - will update the driver to the latest version ( fom AMD ) and play with cpu volts again. - I've created a backup for windows drive so now I can experimnet with the latest drivers.

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
^^ could be but the cpu was stable on prime 95 2 Hrs Small FFt test and some time when there's a CTD issue I got a message relate to msvcrt.dll ( which was a 2k9 version ) - and this got updated with a 2011 version when I updated win 7 on last Tuesday.

radeon6950

Broken In
2 hrs of prime95 is nothing i ve had the crash to desktop after being 12 hours prime95 stable. keep the cpu at the recommended voltage and you shouldnt have any issues.

reflexx20

Silent Reader Since....
guyz i'm having trouble with my 6850,.......when i tried to update from 11.11 to 12.4....my screen gets filled with random color patches.......what should i do??

radeon6950

Broken In
^uninstall amd catalyst 12.4
download and install amd catalyst 12.1 (seems to be the most stable driver for 6000 series graphic cards)

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
^^ uninstall the driver in usual way - after that use driversweeper to clean any undeleted file/registry entry which can't be uninstalled using normal uninstall process and may conflict with new driver installation.

did you happen to check the event log?
This is a known driver Issue with AMD video drivers

yep, checked event log but there's no error was showing except msvcrt.dll errors.

2 hrs of prime95 is nothing i ve had the crash to desktop after being 12 hours prime95 stable. keep the cpu at the recommended voltage and you shouldnt have any issues.

^^ true but I undervolted the cpu for some energy savings and to keep it cool on summer mainly but I'll try to find the exact reason behind this .. wait for the results.

OP
cgi86

cgi86

Tech Enthusiast
how to check the voltage of my cpu ? i've never tinkered with frequency or voltage of neither my cpu , nor my gpu . so it should be at stock, right ?

radeon6950

Broken In
u can use cpu-z for monitoring cpu voltage, it can also be viewed in bios.(it should be at stock if not tinkered with)
normally "driver stopped responding" is due to an unstable gpu. Try settings your gpu clocks to those of a standard 6850 and see if the crashing stops.

Last edited:
Top Bottom